VFACTS May: Rav 4 Launches, Holden down on '18 but up on April

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VFACTS May: Rav 4 Launches, Holden down on '18 but up on April

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1993 Holden Calais VPII

VFACTS May: Rav 4 Launches, Holden down on '18 but up on April

VFACTS May 2019

Caradvice.com.au<-LINK

By Scott Collie

05 May 2019

The market continued its slide, recording its 14th straight month of declining sales.

Car dealers are reporting a sales recovery since last month's Federal Election, but Australian new car registrations continued to decline in May, the 14th consecutive month of sales slowdown.

VFACTS data for May 2019 recorded 92,561 new vehicle registrations, down 8.1% from the 100,754 achieved in May 2018. That perfectly matches the state of the market in 2019: year-to-date sales are down 8.1% compared to the same point in 2018.

Tasmania is the only state seeing growth in 2019, up 5.5% in May and 2.2% year-to-date, while the Northern Territory has seen the biggest slide. It's down 10.7% year-to-date, and saw a 20.2% dip in sales during May.

Passenger cars continued to struggle, down 11.9% last month with 28,890 sales and a 31.2% share of the market, while SUV sales totalling 40,937 represent a 4.7% drop and 44.2% market share.

A total of 19,178 light commercial vehicles were registered, a dip of 9.0% on May 2018.

Tony Weber, Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI) chief executive, attributed the market's continual decline to factors like "an economic downturn, drought, political events, the tightening of financial lending and lack of confidence in the market".

He's optimistic confidence from the now-completed Federal Election will help drive consumers back to the dealership, suggesting the market will "improve over the next few months".

Much more analysis at the LINK

Quote Originally Posted by mikmak
    Holden are down on 2018 volume, but have risen by 900 sales compared to April. Commodore up slightly with 670 an improvement over 629 sales. This time last year, VF stock was still be cleared, with 1040 sales.
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,469 Times in 3,138 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

Re: VFACTS May: Rav 4 Launches, Holden down on '18 but up on April

The conquest of Australia by foreign autos is total

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Daewoo Matiz 2001 White

Holden Acadia 206
    Holden Astra 379
    Holden Captiva 8
    Holden Colorado 4X2 204
    Holden Colorado 4X4 1,515
    Holden ZB Commodore 670
    Holden VF Commodore 0
    Holden Equinox 590
    Holden Trailblazer 266
    Holden Trax 554

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BP'93 For This Useful Post:

mikmak (06-06-2019),richmond2000 (06-06-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,253 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

The Numbers for Commodore are at least consistent

Equinox seems to be finding more homes , it needs an interior upgrade ASAP as it looks like a Tupperware party in there
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VS Ute 5Litre For This Useful Post:

kts3502.0 (06-09-2019),mikmak (06-06-2019)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    Too bad they stopped production again. This time for 15 weeks. Astra hatch is under 200 per month, no Astra wagon. I'm trying to get more info about Acadia, there are some serious supply issues, selling at less than 15% of its initial target. Commodore is at under 30%.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GolfBravo For This Useful Post:

GTC (06-06-2019),kts3502.0 (06-09-2019),Ruperts Trooper (06-06-2019),V-Car (06-07-2019)

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1993 Holden Calais VPII
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfBravo View Post
    Too bad they stopped production again. This time for 15 weeks. Astra hatch is under 200 per month, no Astra wagon. I'm trying to get more info about Acadia, there are some serious supply issues, selling at less than 15% of its initial target. Commodore is at under 30%.
    Did they really expect >2000/month? Didn't they at least revise the target since Dave Butner arrived? I was overtly positive about the ZB and my rosiest prediction was 1500. Now I'd consider cracking 1000 to be a partial success, but I doubt that would have been big enough to justify the business case.

I'd be interested to see how it would have sold if it was built in Elizabeth as originally planned. Would the less negative sentiment be worth 1000 sales /month? Even then that wouldn't be enough to sustain the plant.
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikmak View Post
    Did they really expect >2000/month? Didn't they at least revise the target since Dave Butner arrived?
    Holden surely have revised their targets down, hence lack of production. But from Opel's perspective the whole business case was based on circa 27K Holden units a year, and they had to spend millions of € on engineering. The Commodore is not just a rebadged Opel or Buick, there are some major differences between the 3, they are all separate engineering models E2JO/E2JB/E2JH and E2WO/E2WB/E2WH.

The Elizabeth Insignia/LaCrosse program was all b/s (50K+ Commodore/Statesman), the entire "business case" was based on receiving a large cheque from the government. GM had earlier plans to close Elizabeth prior to VE, but AU govt subsidies were quite attractive to keep the plant "viable" for a while.

BTW, now that Opel are part of PSA, they can now see how ridiculously expensive Insignias are to build compared to Peugeots and Citroens.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,524 Times in 1,105 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    The conquest of Australia by TOYOTA is total
    fixed it

wow Toyota has NOT missed a BEAT
    I guess when you have a WIDE selection AND every thing is "GOOD" and "STABLE"

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,253 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    fixed it

wow Toyota has NOT missed a BEAT
    I guess when you have a WIDE selection AND every thing is "GOOD" and "STABLE"
    Well to be fair Toyota isn't viewed as a sellout to their overseas owned parent

THey "had" to close when Ford and Holden announced their closure first

Even before that they had a very strong following by selling what customers wanted at a reasonable price

GM and Ford have tried to rape the customer by stopping local production on the basis of "it's too expensive to make here" then raising prices

Even the most loyal supporter finds that hard to swallow
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VS Ute 5Litre For This Useful Post:

kts3502.0 (06-09-2019),richmond2000 (06-07-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,240 Times in 2,142 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Well to be fair Toyota isn't viewed as a sellout to their overseas owned parent

THey "had" to close when Ford and Holden announced their closure first

Even before that they had a very strong following by selling what customers wanted at a reasonable price

GM and Ford have tried to rape the customer by stopping local production on the basis of "it's too expensive to make here" then raising prices

Even the most loyal supporter finds that hard to swallow
    It's much simpler than that, Japanese and Korean Carmakers are more than happy to build affordable RHD cars and SUVs for our market where as Ford and GM find that increasingly harder to justify. Both now seem content to offer what makes sense to them and leave the Aussie market to Toyota, Mazda, Hyunda, Kia and Mitsubishi.

There is a chance that Ford will do more in our market once Ford Europe's products are reformed but I think Holden's goose is cooked and they willbe left with what drops from GM's table.
    Last edited by jpd80; 06-06-2019 at 02:36 PM.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

5 month wait times for Acadia LTZ-V at the moment which is a bit crazy.

Small cars are dead, big brands are flogging fleet and rental specials but even rental companies are starting to prefer small SUVs due to higher rental rates. Decent or interesting small cars like Mazda3 or Focus Active will probably get the private buyers.

Brands like Holden, Ford, Toyota, Mitsubishi are making decent money in Australia due to the ute offerings.
    Last edited by Downandout; 06-06-2019 at 06:23 PM.

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    Especially when Ranger is $15K to $20K more than a comparable Colorado or even BT-50 which is Gen 1 T6 Ranger

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Acadia stock is improving. From this month we can supply almost anything, except for a few specs. July on-wards I believe stocks are plentiful and second half of the year should show a huge improvement. It still won't get close to their initial estimate, which was over 10,000 units for the year.....

The margins on Colorado (and I'm sure all the other brands' Pickups) are enormous. In a high spec Colorado (LTZ or Z71) they would be pulling in well over $20k per unit gross. With excess stock for most other carlines now mostly under control and the lower staff numbers now at Holden, they would be doing okay.

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Quote Originally Posted by timandhayley View Post
    Acadia stock is improving. From this month we can supply almost anything, except for a few specs. July on-wards I believe stocks are plentiful and second half of the year should show a huge improvement. It still won't get close to their initial estimate, which was over 10,000 units for the year.....
    Increases in supply for Acadia will be welcome as I suspect it's a much easier sell for Holden, a diesel would be great but what about maybe a dedicated LPG version, perhaps a local fit out would be enough to boost sales even more.

The margins on Colorado (and I'm sure all the other brands' Pickups) are enormous. In a high spec Colorado (LTZ or Z71) they would be pulling in well over $20k per unit gross. With excess stock for most other carlines now mostly under control and the lower staff numbers now at Holden, they would be doing okay.
    I hope so, last year was terrible and seeing so many good dealerships under stress was heart breaking.

YEH
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

The Japanese are also helped by the fact that the 2nd biggest origin of imported autos (after Japan) is Thailand (where numerous Japanese automakers have plants).

So can provide vehicles produced there at lower cost, but even Japanese production isn't as expensive these days due to the valuation of the Yen and increased use of lower cost temp workers.

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast