VFACTS March 2020: Mixed Messages from a Disaster Hit Market

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VFACTS March 2020: Mixed Messages from a Disaster Hit Market

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty

VFACTS March 2020: Mixed Messages from a Disaster Hit Market

VFACTS: March 2020 new car sales

Mike Costello
    Comparisons Editor

CarAdvice.com.au

3 March 2020

Sales fall 18 per cent amidst COVID-19 crisis, but Toyota makes gains. Kia beats Hyundai, Chinese brands boom, Holden's runout results not quite as stellar as expected

New vehicle sales took a hit in March, as you might expect, although it wasn't the cataclysmic drop some might have projected.

VFACTS data compiled by the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries released today shows that car sales fell by 17.9 per cent compared to March last year, to 81,690 sales.

You have to return to 2009, at the height of the global financial crisis, to find a lower figure for March. That year there were 75,650 new cars sold.

March is historically the second-biggest month of the year for new car sales – because it is the lead-up to the end of the Japanese financial year.

peaking with car brands, it seems clear that there was a notable decline in buyer interest as the month progressed, and as social distancing and other rules came into place.

While most car dealerships remain open to sell and service vehicles, some are running at a reduced capacity, and many are concerned about an April where they lack the sort of forward orders they might have executed during March.

The March monthly result represents the 24th consecutive month of negative growth for the automotive industry in Australia. That means constant month-on-month declines since early 2018.

Sales for quarter one of the 2020 calendar year sit at 233,361 units, down 13.1 per cent. This means that the market is tracking to fall shy of a million sales annually.

Brand March 2020 sales Change over March 2019
    Toyota 17,583 1.6%
    Mazda 6819 -29.1%
    Mitsubishi 6002 -40.8%
    Kia 5654 6.6%
    Hyundai 5306 -31.4%
    Holden 4992 30.2%
    Ford 4857 -21.2%
    Nissan 3501 -31.6%
    Honda 3144 -27.5%
    Subaru 3024 0.2%

...The top-selling vehicle in March was the Toyota HiLux with 3556 sales, followed by the Ford Ranger (3108 sales), Toyota RAV4 (a remarkably high 2991 sales and the number-one SUV), Toyota Corolla (2812 sales to be the top passenger car) and the runout Holden Colorado (2391 sales).

The next five were the Hyundai i30 (1856), just edging the related Kia Cerato (1841), and Mitsubishi Triton (1813), Mazda CX-5 (1734), and Mitsubishi ASX (1643)....

Much more details and analysis at the LINK

Last edited by mikmak; 04-03-2020 at 01:02 AM.
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Re: VFACTS March 2020: Mixed Messages from a Disaster Hit Market

Holden Colorado UTE hits the Aussie top 10 models list great stuff at the No5 spot.

Holden Insignia Commodore FWD junk contributes absolutely sweet nothing as usual 95 sales (down from 132 in 2019) LOL.

Aussie Ram factory hits 5,000 the No1 Aussie assembler

RAM sales up +30.3% still heading up the charts hits the Aussie top 25 outsells Jeep brand for the first time ever in Australia. Thats a great achievement seeing that the Ram is imported the has to remanufactured to right-hand-drive by the Walkinshaw Automotive Group in Melbourne. Ram has a 3 month buyers waiting list despite the Aussie production line working 24 hours round the clock 5 days a week to keep up with demand.

OLDSMOBILE - "Start Something"

100 MPG Chevrolet Silverado E-REV - Fleets only still waiting.
    Hidden Content
    Cut the dependance on Arab oil, cut the trade deficit in foreign oil.

Life is to short - drive live your dream

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,644 Times in 1,645 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

262 sold isn't a huge amount

Great for the guys working there and Walkinshaw but its still only 262.....
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Sure gonna miss all those great old v8 RWD Holden Commodores & RWD Ford Falcon battles at Bathurst on TV in the future that will leave a massive motorsport void.

Holden & Ford of Australia have made some absolutely great cracking classic cars in the past

A very sad day in Aussie automotive history, great to see a decent last set of sales numbers at least Holden went out with a bang made it back to the No6 in the Aussie sales charts will always be remembered as the Aussie No 1, Australia have produced some great cars over the years will be sorely missed.
    Last edited by Oldsmobile stopped; 04-03-2020 at 05:59 PM.

Hidden Content

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Oldsmobile stopped For This Useful Post:

Stéphane Dumas (04-06-2020)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

It's going to be a totally different result for April....

Inquiry levels are down to basically zero. Forward orders are essentially totally exhausted. Most dealers are either closed, closing or running on skeleton staff just in case someone threatens to buy a car.

It's going to be absolute carnage.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timandhayley For This Useful Post:

buildacariwant (04-05-2020),chinamonty (04-07-2020),hq308 (04-05-2020),richmond2000 (04-05-2020)

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by timandhayley View Post

Inquiry levels are down to basically zero. Forward orders are essentially totally exhausted. Most dealers are either closed, closing or running on skeleton staff just in case someone threatens to buy a car.

Unfortunately not many people are going to have the confidence in their own jobs to have such a big spend. I'm lucky to still have work but it's going to be a challenge to keep ticking over.

The communication of what you can and can't do is difficult to navigate as well. I see dealers offering on line purchasing activities too, but I want to inspect and drive something before I buy it.
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mikmak For This Useful Post:

hq308 (04-05-2020)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,174 Times in 2,664 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by mikmak View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timandhayley View Post

Unfortunately not many people are going to have the confidence in their own jobs to have such a big spend. I'm lucky to still have work but it's going to be a challenge to keep ticking over.

The communication of what you can and can't do is difficult to navigate as well. I see dealers offering on line purchasing activities too, but I want to inspect and drive something before I buy it.
    The next two weeks will tell us if we've turned a big corner in Australia,
    the tighter regulations are working with limiting community spread of the virus.

We may be well into virus down trend long before North America and Europe and
    provided our powerhouse of export revenue isn't disrupted, GDP will remain strong.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (04-05-2020)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,010 Times in 1,421 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by mikmak View Post

a local Hyundai dealer is offering to have the car TOWED to your location for inspection/test drive
    all non essential is closed in Manitoba also but vehicle maintenance is ESSENTIAL SERVICE and assume a mechanic and a towie being the ONLY people on site involved as how they "skirt" the ruling on closed showrooms

- I know an equipment / boat dealer that will not let you on there sign but will place whatever you are looking at on the service road in front of the dealer for you to examine - assume an actual purchase take place "on line" with the sales staff @home

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,010 Times in 1,421 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    the tighter regulations are working with limiting community spread of the virus.

provided our powerhouse of export revenue isn't disrupted, GDP will remain strong.
    I also believe Aus MOST of the cases are from cruise ships docking so between contact tracing and testing they know MOST OF THE CASES and now they are totally isolated there should be ZERO non native transmission cases

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Mr Trump said the April heat will kill off virus (Don't hold out much hope, best luck on that one).

UK Government in Europe seems to think it will peak on April 13th (l expect the rain will wash it away).

Seriously nobody knows lets hope the experts are right JDP nobody will be left in a job Germany is already talking about losing 100,000 autoworkers jobs when things return to normal. All the trillions that already indebted governments are spending will have to be paid back at sometime by taxpayers there is no such thing as a free lunch, once the Coronavirus headlines the global depression headlines might follow.

Stay safe JDP

PS when is the ole Cortina/Taunus coming back to save Ford in Europe?
    Last edited by Oldsmobile stopped; 04-05-2020 at 06:05 PM.

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldsmobile stopped View Post

Mr Trump said the April heat will kill off virus (Don't hold out much hope, best luck on that one).

UK Government in Europe seems to think it will peak on April 13th (l expect the rain will wash it away).

Seriously nobody knows lets hope the experts are right JDP nobody will be left in a job Germany is already talking about losing 100,000 autoworkers jobs when things return to normal. All the trillions that already indebted governments are spending will have to be paid back at sometime by taxpayers there is no such thing as a free lunch, once the Coronavirus headlines the global depression headlines might follow.

Stay safe JDP

Maybe a re-skin on the Mustang for a brand new RS3100 (factory overbore on the EB 3.0)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 RedHotMike's Avatar
    Thanks

Stay safe JDP

No doubt temperatures above 28 deg C will kill the virus faster on surfaces outside the body faster but it is highly highly infectious none the less. TBH I fear the US governments ad-hoc approach to this is a disaster in the making.

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHotMike View Post

Stay safe JDP

No doubt temperatures above 28 deg C will kill the virus faster on surfaces outside the body faster but it is highly highly infectious none the less. TBH I fear the US governments ad-hoc approach to this is a disaster in the making.
    It will be their undoing because a good percentage of the population
    is already suspicious of governments and will just rail against any
    perceived curtailment of their own freedom and to go anywhere
    they damn well like.

Couple that with authority figures that just seem to be fumbling through this
    and there's a good chance of a huge backlash in the next few months when
    some bright banana thinks it's safe to go back to work and everyone just agrees.
    I'm concerned that we might see a double hump to infection like 1918 Spanish flu.
    Last edited by jpd80; 04-06-2020 at 06:09 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (04-06-2020)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,674 Times in 963 Posts

Sure gonna miss all those great old v8 RWD Holden Commodores & RWD Ford Falcon battles at Bathurst on TV in the future that will leave a massive motorsport void.

Holden & Ford of Australia have made some absolutely great cracking classic cars in the past

A very sad day in Aussie automotive history, great to see a decent last set of sales numbers at least Holden went out with a bang made it back to the No6 in the Aussie sales charts will always be remembered as the Aussie No 1, Australia have produced some great cars over the years will be sorely missed.
    Don't forget Chrysler Australia who left Australia earlier.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stéphane Dumas For This Useful Post:

hq308 (04-06-2020),mikmak (04-06-2020)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 RedHotMike's Avatar
    Thanks

It will be their undoing because a good percentage of the population
    is already suspicious of governments and will just rail against any
    perceived curtailment of their own freedom and to go anywhere
    they damn well like.

Couple that with authority figures that just seem to be fumbling through this
    and there's a good chance of a huge backlash in the next few months when
    some bright banana thinks it's safe to go back to work and everyone just agrees.
    I'm concerned that we might see a double hump to infection like 1918 Spanish flu.
    I tend to be one of those suspicious of govco but in this it's common sense - separate as much as possible for a few cycles of the disease and it will go. Put the tin hat on and it will be a continuing disaster.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedHotMike For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (04-06-2020),VS Ute 5Litre (04-06-2020)

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information