VFACTS April 2020: Largest Single Month Decline Since VFACTS Began in 1991

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VFACTS April 2020: Largest Single Month Decline Since VFACTS Began in 1991

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty

VFACTS April 2020: Largest Single Month Decline Since VFACTS Began in 1991

VFACTS: APRIL 2020 NEW CAR SALES, INCLUDING A SURPRISE PODIUM FINISHER

Carexpert.com.au

Mike Costello
    Comparisons Editor

05 May 20

We all knew that car sales in Australia during April would be disastrously low thanks to COVID-19, and VFACTs figures released today by the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries have borne that out.

There were 38,926 new vehicles counted as sold last month, excluding the handful of brands that do not share data, most notably Tesla (to which we’ve reached out, and am yet to hear back from).

That’s a decline of 48.5 per cent over April 2019’s tally of 75,550.

It is also the largest single decrease of any month since VFACTs figures were first recorded in 1991. For context, the sales in April 2009 during the height of the Global Financial Crisis were 63,965.

Sales in South Australia, Tasmania, NSW and Victoria fell by 50 per cent. Counter-intuitively sales in the ACT grew 25 per cent, in large part down to replacement vehicles purchased following a huge hail storm.

Nationally, year-to-date figures are down 21 per cent over last year’s cumulative tally at 272,287 units. The market has now been contracting for 25 successive months.

By contracting in sales ‘only’ 32 per cent, Toyota grew its market share to 26.5 per cent and made five of the top-selling six vehicles (HiLux, RAV4, LandCruiser, Corolla and Prado). I believe that’s called domination.

Mazda finished second despite falling 60.5 per cent. Stunningly, Kia finished third and beat out both Ford and its Hyundai big brother – outselling the latter for the second month this year.

Mitsubishi finished sixth while declining 63.2 per cent, and amazingly it was BMW in seventh. The Bavarian brand only declined 5.7 per cent as models such as the 3 Series, X1, X4, X6, X7, and new 2 Series Gran Coupe all grew compared to April 2019.

Holden’s dealers got rid of 1501 cars, more than half of them Colorados. Nissan declined 51.5 per cent, edging out Mercedes-Benz which rounded out the top 10.

More Analysis and Figures at the LINK

Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,861 Times in 2,503 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    Any brands with a comprehensive retail portfolio of vehicles lost between 4,000 and 5,000 sales last month. The drop at ford was less than that because well they have less retail sales to lose.

Thanks
    My Ride

Re: VFACTS April 2020: Largest Single Month Decline Since VFACTS Began in 1991

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    Any brands with a comprehensive retail portfolio of vehicles lost between 4,000 and 5,000 sales last month. The drop at ford was less than that because well they have less retail sales to lose.
    Do you think we've hit bottom? Rav4 did well because of registrations from a long line of pre-orders, which are likely to continue unless import constraints slow them down...

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,431 Times in 1,518 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

The market was falling even before Corona

In fact we were looking at a rescission regardless as less people have disposable income to spend on a luxury item like a new car
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    The market was falling even before Corona

In fact we were looking at a rescission regardless as less people have disposable income to spend on a luxury item like a new car
    and probably why coronavirus will take the blame regardless of what was happening in the lead up.
    Lots of people starting to return to work in the coming weeks but yeah there gonna be some rocky months ahead when the govt withdraws help early because most will resume occupations where possible. The unemployed will be swept up into job creation or Jobkeeper but I really wonder about sales of non-essential goods like new cars

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by mikmak View Post
    Do you think we've hit bottom? Rav4 did well because of registrations from a long line of pre-orders, which are likely to continue unless import constraints slow them down...
    A crap ton of RAV4s sold were hybrids, Toyota on a real winner there as long as oil companies play diesel owners for fools

A lot of city commercial vehicles should go hybrid as well, especially those doing tons of stop and go driving

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

mikmak (05-07-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride

Yep. Rav 4 is also a great car for small business owners/inner city cafes/specialty bakers etc. Lots of short runs, lots of space for goods. If only companies saw the same opportunity with small wagons. I really think the Corolla wagon would be a good alternative for those small businesses going forward. For those that don't have 40k+ for the hybrid Rav4, a 30ish corolla wagon would be the ideal alternative.

Hidden Content

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mikmak For This Useful Post:

FRENCHY101 (05-13-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by mikmak View Post
    Yep. Rav 4 is also a great car for small business owners/inner city cafes/specialty bakers etc. Lots of short runs, lots of space for goods. If only companies saw the same opportunity with small wagons. I really think the Corolla wagon would be a good alternative for those small businesses going forward. For those that don't have 40k+ for the hybrid Rav4, a 30ish corolla wagon would be the ideal alternative.
    Australia is ripe for hybrid and PHEV if the price is right.

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Yeah we used to have a factory near work that converted trucks to electric (up to 27 tonne) but they got so busy they had to move to much much larger premises. I think as people get deliveries from electric trucks they will start to consider their options.

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    Exactly but Koreans offering hybrids could be a great avenue for people to get used to electrification without giving up on ICEs.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

chinamonty (05-07-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride

Exactly but Koreans offering hybrids could be a great avenue for people to get used to electrification without giving up on ICEs.
    I quite like the drivetrain in the PHEV Ioniq, with the DCT. I look forward to when they stick it in something more mainstream. Hopefully the new Sonata and Tucson will be first cabs off the rank.

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    People are over oil companies screwing them over on diesel prices, it’s time to add some balance back in with petrol hybrids. Manufacturers of Utes and larger SUVs should be offering diesels and hybrids to give customers a choice of technology that suits their needs.

Thanks
    My Ride

The problem with PHEVs and Hybrids is that extra battery weight. If you're doing a long journey (or hauling stuff ie. farm trucks), it's just dead weight.

Hidden Content

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mikmak For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (05-17-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    Hybrids don't have big battery packs and most are now stowed under the floorplan s of SUVS.
    Anytime you have variable speed like braking or acceleration, a hybrid will add significant economy.

Thanks
    My Ride

Hybrids don't have big battery packs and most are now stowed under the floorplan s of SUVS.
    Anytime you have variable speed like braking or acceleration, a hybrid will add significant economy.
    Yes, and where you don't, it wont., but it will add complexity.

Hidden Content

22. The Following User Says Thank You to mikmak For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (05-17-2020)

23. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information