Vauxhall Wants HSV's New E-Series As Soon As Possible

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vauxhall Wants HSV's New E-Series As Soon As Possible

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member JoeT's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Holden Monaro CV8

Vauxhall Wants HSV's New E-Series As Soon As Possible

Europe Wants More Aussie HSV's

Jonathan Hawley
    21 July 2006

www.drive.com.au

Holden's British affiliate Vauxhall is keen to add HSV's E-Series to its line-up as soon as possible.

“We’re certainly looking at it because it makes sense given that the Monaro was so good for the company,” said Vauxhall spokesman Tom Barnard.

Vauxhall has re-badged and sold the Holden coupe for the UK market since 2004, promoting it with somewhat dubious lines such as “champagne quality at lager prices” and “unbeatable power for pound”.

More recently, you’ll see posters in the London underground listing the Monaro’s engine capacity, power and performance figures then labelling them the “numbers of the beast.”

“The appeal of the Monaro was that it had cheap power with real V8 performance for less than a BMW M3.”

“Even if we replace it with a four door saloon I think that gives it slightly more appeal because then people can feel they’re getting [a BMW] M5 without spending as much,” Mr Barnard said.

Vauxhall is more interested in HSV versions of the VE than mainstream Holden models such as the SS because historically, the Monaro has sold better in the UK in high-power VXR specification despite a 7000 pound difference in price.

The only catch is that according to Mr Barnard there hasn’t been serious discussion within Vauxhall about replacing the Monaro with an HSV variant of the VE sedan.

“We haven’t even got one in the country yet, and we certainly haven’t got around to looking at names.”

“Basically, if we decide not to do it we won’t lose any sleep. It won’t mean the end of our business because the Monaro was a halo model to the [Vauxhall] brand which, after all, is about selling Barinas and Astras.”

However, if a decision to import the VE is made, it could happen quickly. Expensive type-approval measures such as crash testing are not required for models selling in numbers of less than 500.

The two versions of the Monaro sold in the UK – both pre and post bonnet scoop – were imported to exactly that tune, meaning a total of just under a 1000 Monaros on English roads.

Interestingly, anyone still interested in buying a Monaro, which is no longer on sale in Australia, can still pick one up in Great Britain.

According to Mr Barnard, there’s a last consignment of the HSV-modified VXR Monaro due to arrive in England by boat sometime in September, making them probably the last new Monaros available in the world.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Greg Burr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Ford Mustang Pony

Re: Vauxhall Wants HSV's New E-Series As Soon As Possible

So are we.

Banned
    Thanks

But try to sell the Europeans an American Pontiac GTO, and they roll their eyes at how barbaric it is.

Wait a minute...

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

they are goin to be seriously good cars when they come out, id also love to see HSV do a high performance diesel to, which Holden should have out soon i think they are missing a good opportunity there

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierRon
    But try to sell the Europeans an American Pontiac GTO, and they roll their eyes at how barbaric it is.

Wait a minute...
    Americans have always loved there cars to be lots more styled than other countries, the europeans like there cars softly elegant and less extroverted, aussies are in between lol

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC fred96ws6's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_VT
    Americans have always loved there cars to be lots more styled than other countries, the europeans like there cars softly elegant and less extroverted, aussies are in between lol
    This European car is neither soft or less extroverted. I had hoped GM would have brought it over as the new Fiero back in 2001.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...112_0011_opel/

GMI Contributor Premium Member
    Thanks

Yeah, we do like our cars styled. And bold. I like your avatar. What car is that? As for the this article, I say this; likewise.

GMI's Revitalization in Action Director
    Check out our latest lineup by Hidden Content
    Follow me on Twitter Hidden Content

If you've got inside news and would like to be anonymous news source, send me a private message or email me Hidden Content .

Banned
    Thanks

Right. 911 Turbos, Lamborghinis and Lotus Elises aren't extroverted.

Volvo 240s, Sciroccos and Espirits are softly elegant.

Thanks

Its just that American cars have more buldges and bit, while Euro (non-supercars), in most cases, are more 'elegantly' styled.

Both can look good, but in their own ways.

Aussies seem to take styling from Europe, America and Japan.

I'm GLAD that us Aussies are starting to be recognised for our own look though.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) asim's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Burr
    So are we.
    Of course, us Americans won't ever get enough speed.
    I'll make a new sig. Later.
    Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

I think rick vt's avatar is a concept car that holden and buick made back in the mid 90's called the xp2000. It's powered by a 5.0 litre v8 (either 308 or small block cant remember)Basically it was a design exercise before the VT commodore was brought out. At the time I believe there was talk of a joint venture and the possible sale of a commodore based vehicle in the united states under the buick brand, but that never came to fruition. How history repeats itself.
    Last edited by Martino_z; 07-21-2006 at 10:35 PM.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

...hmmmm....

spare couple of hours this arvo and a little inspiration....

HSV E-Series GTS...

Hidden Content
    - for your recommended daily intake of VE goodness

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Martino_z
    I think rick vt's avatar is a concept car that holden and buick made back in the mid 90's called the xp2000. It's powered by a 5.0 litre v8 (either 308 or small block cant remember)Basically it was a design exercise before the VT commodore was brought out. At the time I believe there was talk of a joint venture and the possible sale of a commodore based vehicle in the united states under the buick brand, but that never came to fruition. How history repeats itself.
    You are correct, the VT or a variant thereof, was to also be a Buick with the car to be built in Australia, however the UAW got involved when they heard of the plan and put a stop to it.

This explains why the VT was such a better car than its predecessors, it had so much more devt funds devoted to it (prior to UAW pushback) and was naturally designed with a LHD version, that Holden put to great effect selling to the Middle East, etc.

If it wasn't for this Holden may have found themselves in the same position that Ford Aus is currently....no LHD, Sweet FA exports and a likewise future.

Thanks

Yes thats correct it the buick xp2000 not sure the exact reason it didnt happen in america, one of the other guys on here says it had nothing to do with UAW but not sure, its a shame though i thought it was a awesome looking car, but i own a VT which it is based of so im biased lol here are some details i found on the net, also found a awesome sight with concept cars from GM chrysler and ford www.conceptcarposter.com im sure the pics will bring back some fond memories for the americans on here

Engine Location Front
    Drive Type Rear Wheel
    Weight 3400 lbs | 1542.2 kg
    Performance
    Top Speed 151 mph | 243 km/h Similar top speeds
    Engine
    Engine Configuration V
    Cylinders 8
    Aspiration/Induction Normal
    Displacement 5.00 L | 305.1 cu in. | 5000.6 cc.
    Dimensions
    Seating Capacity 5
    Exterior
    Length 196.701 in | 4996.2 mm.
    Width 73.901 in | 1877.1 mm.
    Height 53.501 in | 1358.9 mm.
    Wheelbase 115.401 in | 2931.2 mm.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HoosierRon
    Right. 911 Turbos, Lamborghinis and Lotus Elises aren't extroverted.

Volvo 240s, Sciroccos and Espirits are softly elegant.
    ok sorry i guess i should have been more specific, but in general euro cars are more elegant, the 911's and lambos and other such exotics are the exception considering the small percentage share they have in the market

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information