Next Gen Commodore Wagon Revealed

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Gen Commodore Wagon Revealed

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty

Next Gen Commodore Wagon Revealed

Holden NG Sportwagon Revealed

06 February 2017

Mick McWilliams
    Australia correspondent
    GMInsidenews.com

Ahead of the European reveal for it's German cousin, Holden has released images and details of the next generation Holden Sportwagon. Nine speed Automotaic and 'twinster' AWD system headline technology which has already been revealed NG details released last year. The sportwagon adds additional practical technology such as the kick actuated tailgate.

There are also assertions in the press release that wagons were boring, which we all know to be patently untrue.

See more below.

Quote Originally Posted by Holden PR
    Spacious, Sporty And Sophisticated: The Next-Generation Holden Commodore Sportwagon Revealed

Room to move with 1640L of boot space, kicking motion opens powered tailgate
    Class-leading driving dynamics, advanced all-wheel drive with torque vectoring
    Sleek European design, superb refinement
    Lane Keep Assist, Autonomous Emergency Braking and more
    Latest generation IntelliLux LED matrix lights turn night into day
    World premiere in Geneva this March in Opel guise, on-sale in Australia 2018

The all-new Holden Commodore Sportwagon has emerged from the gym; trim, toned and beautifully presented. Following closely on the heels of the reveal of the NG Commodore, the Sportwagon is spacious, refined and offers exemplary safety, just as a flagship Holden should.

Offering space and sophistication in equal measures, the all-new Sportwagon offers 1640 litres of boot space and high-tech solutions ranging from the world-beating IntelliLux LED matrix headlights and ultra-modern driver assistance systems to the cool head-up display. In addition, the Commodore Sportwagon comes with Holden’s first nine-speed automatic transmission and intelligent all-wheel drive.

The next-generation Holden Sportwagon reinforces Commodore’s position as the most advanced Holden ever, includes tech such as autonomous emergency braking, adaptive suspension, adaptive cruise control and matrix lighting

Drivetrain line-up mirrors NG Commodore’s with four-cylinder petrol and diesel options, alongside the flagship V6 model with 230kW and 370Nm, world-first ‘Twinster’ all-wheel drive system and 9-speed transmission for the first time ever in a Holden.

The new Sportwagon comes with significant mass reductions than the current Commodore – depending on powertrain and trim, driven by the use of lightweight materials and efficient packaging. The new Opel Insignia Sports Tourer is up to 200 kilograms lighter than the current Commodore – depending on powertrain and trim, driven by the use of lightweight materials and efficient packaging.

Bringing sexy back:

Who said wagons need to be boring? Holden continues the tradition of high-style wagons with the all-new Commodore. Inspired by the Opel Monza concept, the prominent grille and the sculpted headlight design add to the feeling of sophistication. The car’s stance is also emphasized by a long wheelbase. The signature ‘blade’ styling hallmark starts in the front door and sweeps towards the rear helps carry the eye from front to back. The chrome window blade dynamically flows into the LED tail lamps and gives the Commodore Sportwagon an even more athletic appearance. The silver roof rails help stretch the car, make it look lower and emphasize the high-quality design.

The Insignia Sports Tourer’s kinship with the Monza Concept is especially apparent at the rear: The shape looks much lighter than before with the newcomer defined by clear lines. Together with the slim, slightly protruding LED taillights in double-wing design, they help the rear end of the Opel flagship to make a strong impression. The high-tech look of the Monza Concept thus becomes reality.

Easy loader: Tailgate with an extra kick

Not just sleek and sexy, the next-gen Sportwagon is also practical with 1,640 litres of boot volume.

In order to make loading as easy as possible, the tailgate can be opened with a ‘kick’ – without touching the car. In combination with ‘keyless open’ tech, a simple small kicking motion under the rear bumper is enough to open the tailgate (a vehicle silhouette projected onto the ground shows the correct area). A further kicking motion under the bumper will close the tailgate. The clever system can detect any obstruction and stops the mechanism in case of emergency. In addition, for practicability, the height of the opening can be programmed, in case the car is in a garage. Furthermore, the tailgate can still be opened by a switch on the driver’s side of the car, a button at the rear or via the key’s remote control.

In order to increase loading space the new Sportwagon comes with optional 40/20/40 foldable rear seats enabling even more flexible loading space configurations. The rear-seat bank can be folded down by simply pushing a button located in the luggage compartment.

Additional driver assistance systems include:

Head-up-Display: Information on speed, traffic signs, set speed of speed limiter or navigation direction is projected onto the windshield and in the driver’s direct line of sight ensuring that the eyes remain on the road.
    Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC), which measures the distance to the vehicle in front and adapts the speed accordingly. ACC will initiate automatic emergency braking if the distance decreases abruptly.
    Lane Keep Assist with automated steering correction and Lane Departure Warning (LDW). Provides gentle steering wheel movements (and LDW alerts if necessary) to help drivers avoid unintentionally drifting out of their lane.
    Rear Cross Traffic Alert. The system uses radar sensors in the rear bumper to detect objects coming from up to 20 meters at 90 degrees from the left or right side behind the vehicle, a very useful function when reversing out of a parking spot with limited visibility.
    The upcoming Holden Sportwagon will celebrate its world premiere in Opel guise at the Geneva Motor Show on March 7, and will go on sale in Australia in 2018.

NEXT-GENERATION COMMODORE KEY HIGHLIGHTS:

Cutting-edge driver assistance systems and technology:
    Autonomous Emergency Braking
    Adaptive Cruise Control
    Speed Limit Cruise Control
    Lane Departure Warning
    Lane Keep Assist
    Forward Collision Alert
    Side Blind-Zone Alert
    Rear Cross-Traffic Alert
    Next-generation comfort and convenience technologies:
    Massage Seats
    Rear one-touch folding seats
    Heated Front and Rear seats
    Ventilated Front seats
    Express up/down all windows
    Wagon power lift-gate
    Active Noise Cancellation

Program overview:

Next-generation Commodore built in Germany on all-new, global E2 architecture shared with Opel Insignia

Lightweight construction methods result in approximately 200kg weight savings compared to current Commodore

Flagship model offers V6 AWD drivetrain with Holden-first 9-speed transmission

V6 engine delivers 230kW / 370Nm while being incredibly efficient thanks to Stop-Start technology and Active Fuel Management

2.0T petrol and 2.0T diesel front-wheel drive models also coming to Australia

Liftback and Sportwagon body-styles

Cutting-edge, adaptive all-wheel-drive system with torque vectoring and twin-clutch (‘Twinster’) rear differential system

Adaptive ‘Flexride’ suspension system offers three settings: ‘Tour’, ‘Standard’ and ‘Sport’

Next-generation matrix lighting system

Infotainment includes:
    Apple Car Play and Android Auto
    8-inch configurable LCD instrument display,
    next-gen head-up display

Additional details and information to be confirmed closer to launch.
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to mikmak For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (02-05-2017),BlackGTP (02-06-2017),chinamonty (02-05-2017),Cobaltss_King (02-05-2017),Ed753 (02-05-2017),GM Insider News (02-06-2017),johnstarnes (02-05-2017),kmacleod (02-06-2017),nadepalma (02-07-2017),sfbreh (02-06-2017),SierraGS (02-06-2017),SP1966 (02-05-2017),SRFCTY (02-06-2017),Toto (02-06-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 series Captiva LX diesel

Re: Next Gen Commodore Wagon Revealed

now that does look good
    Look out I'm on twitter kts350
    3 on The Tree is back home Hidden Content

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kts3502.0 For This Useful Post:

johnstarnes (02-07-2017)

Thanks

Is this an Opel?

EDIT: Never mind.

"Next-generation Commodore built in Germany on all-new, global E2 architecture shared with Opel Insignia"
    Last edited by Carbide; 02-05-2017 at 09:55 PM.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Accord Coupe' V6 6spd

Very nice looking. This would be a great Buick!
    "I do not care about inequality because I'm not envious. I care about poverty."

Apostrophes: Hidden Content

Spelling: Hidden Content

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mentat Bashar For This Useful Post:

johnstarnes (02-05-2017),kmacleod (02-06-2017),SierraGS (02-06-2017),SRFCTY (02-06-2017)

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,555 Times in 1,357 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

Ughhh yess please. Give me that Regal Wagon.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FenwickHockey65 For This Useful Post:

kmacleod (02-06-2017),sfbreh (02-06-2017),WishIhadatruck (02-06-2017)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,974 Times in 1,936 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

It looks really good. Too bad America is fixated with SUV's because this would make a nice Buick.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

ponchoman49 (02-07-2017),YesImOld (02-06-2017)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar MechEng's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Volt + 2018 Bolt EV

Yes make it a Buick, Sell it in North America.

Make a Voltec version using the full Volt powertrain except with the Malibu Hybrid 1.8L 4cyl. As the Malibu is also on the E2 platform we know it will support it. GM might have to do this to sell it in China anyways.
    See my cars stats below Hidden Content
    2018 Volt - Hidden Content
    2018 Bolt EV - Hidden Content

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

I think it looks quite good but 1640 litres isn't enough although it is bigger than Mondeo. Nice to see them show it in a good colour and not boring silver. I do like the push button seat fold feature.

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

"The Insignia Sports Tourer’s kinship with the Monza Concept is especially apparent at the rear"
    "they help the rear end of the Opel flagship to make a strong impression"
    - Oops poor proofreading!
    Holden should sack whoever released this and whoever approved the release of it.
    Last edited by chinamonty; 02-05-2017 at 11:34 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to chinamonty For This Useful Post:

AusCalais (02-06-2017)

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

So, If Buick actually makes a version of this....I'll take:
    Regal SportWagon Premium ("Avenir" if it's launched)
    Diesel
    Manual Transmission
    AWD isn't necessary, but I'd consider it if offered.
    Regal Peacock Green (If colors match current VF Commodore and Chevy SS Sedan)
    Brown Leather (They called it Cocoa in the Buick Enclave)
    Panoramic Sunroof

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to admonite For This Useful Post:

kmacleod (02-06-2017),mikmak (02-06-2017),sfbreh (02-06-2017),SierraGS (02-06-2017)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,680 Times in 3,242 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

We can hope Buick throws us a bone in Chicago

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

RedSkyBlackDream (02-08-2017),SierraGS (02-06-2017)

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member Toto's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

That's a really nice looking station wagon.

Opel Group CEO Dr. Neumann about the new Sports Tourer in his videocast (German only):

Last edited by Toto; 02-06-2017 at 02:58 AM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Toto For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (02-06-2017)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,804 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by chinamonty View Post
    I think it looks quite good but 1640 litres isn't enough although it is bigger than Mondeo. Nice to see them show it in a good colour and not boring silver. I do like the push button seat fold feature.
    It's 100mm longer wheelbase than the outgoing Insignia, that was a bit small - this is the size it needs to be for Europe - the rise of MPV, CUV and SUV has seen to that.

Thanks
    My Ride
    VF Series 2: The Red Devil

Quote Originally Posted by chinamonty View Post
    That 1640 litres is with seats down? Any idea what it is with the seats up? The VF is about 895 litres and 2000 with the seats down.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AceRimmer View Post
    That 1640 litres is with seats down? Any idea what it is with the seats up? The VF is about 895 litres and 2000 with the seats down.
    And many complained the VF wagon was too small, particularly compared to the VT-VZ

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AusCalais For This Useful Post:

hq308 (02-06-2017),kts3502.0 (02-06-2017)

28. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information