Mustang GT takes on 350Z and Monaro CV8Z

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mustang GT takes on 350Z and Monaro CV8Z

Thanks

Mustang GT takes on 350Z and Monaro CV8Z

http://wheels.carpoint.ninemsn.com.a...Alias=wheelsau

Unstable mates

Words - Jonathan Hawley
    Photos - Cristian Brunelli

Fordís reborn pony car Ė here as a low-volume import Ė attempts to kick down the barn door to show a couple of well-bred two-doors a thing or two about pace and pedigree

THIS STORY could read like a wake, and, given this is probably the last drive youíll read of the current Holden Monaro in Wheels, it probably is. But, as the preachers say, itís also a celebration of life ... not to mention the power of inanimate metal and hydrocarbons to be transformed into beauty, performance and tyre smoke. The Monaro might well be dead for the time being, but its spirit lives on, if the wealth of talent available in the pair of coupes you see here is anything to go by.

That menacing black outlaw is, of course, a Ford Mustang, which is a little like a tale from beyond the grave in itself. The íStang isnít for sale in Australia Ė well, not officially from a Ford dealer, at least. But place a phone call to Mustang Motorsport in Melbourne as we did, and it can deliver a spanking new 2006, 4.6-litre GT (or a cheaper V6-powered version) fresh off the boat and converted to full ADR right-hand-drive compliance.

The only proviso is, youíll have to be a handy earner. The price is $115,000 (plus another $3500 for an upgrade package including leather trim, side airbags, a better sound system and those aggressive silver stripes). Thatís almost twice the tag of the final-edition Monaro CV8-Z, which asks just $60,490. Itís obviously a steep ask, but you have to factor in the conversion work done by the importers Ė some three weeks of down-to-socks-and-jocks rebuild Ė and the Mustangís exclusivity.

If this is shaping up as a Pan-Pacific muscle-car championship of sorts, well, why not head north to Japan, and throw in the Nissan 350Z as well? The Zed has been with us a few years now, but late last year copped an upgrade that included a 221kW version of the 3.5-litre V6 formerly reserved for the 35th Anniversary edition. Thereís also more compliant suspension settings taken from the 350Z Roadster, a slightly different look to the front end, and better quality materials for the interior and dashboard. Unlike the Monaro and Mustang, the Zedís a two-seater and missing a couple of cylinders, but for grunt, attitude and ability, its heart is true. At $67,990 for the Track version tested here, it also looks like a bargain against the Mustang GT, if less so alongside the four-seat Monaro.

Fordís current Mustang is a sensational-looking iteration of the original pony car, thanks in part to its shark-like snout and relatively compact dimensions. The 32-valve V8 is good for 224kW and 433Nm, with power directed to the live rear- axle via a five-speed manual gearbox. Itís a far from sophisticated recipe, but, in a car weighing less than 1600kg, promises to be an invigorating one.

Settle in behind the brilliantly retro steering wheel and deeply recessed (and very hard to read) instruments, fire up the V8, and thereís little doubt the Mustang isnít just muscle, itís proper hard. Prod the throttle and thereís a rich, throaty, real old-school V8 rumble from its twin pipes. The five-speed Tremec slots positively into first, the long-travel clutch finally bites and the sensitive throttle pedal delivers the goods. The stable door is open, and this horse truly bolts. Throttle response is wonderfully urgent from the moment you breathe on the pedal, and thereís a real kick from 4500rpm to the 6400rpm cut-out.

Itís quick, with 100km/h coming up in 6.3 seconds and one gearshift, while 400 metres is just 14.5 seconds away from standstill. Thereís plenty of drama, too; the nose lifts, the rear-end squats and, without too much provocation, a pealing squeal of wheelspin splits the air. If the traction control works, we didnít notice.

For all that, though, the difference between the Fordís performance and the 350Zís is in no way the gulf you might think. The Zed (on damp ground) clocked 0-100km/h in 6.6sec and 0-400m in 14.7, despite less capacity, but also a good 100kg less weight and appreciably better traction.

Both, however, are eclipsed by the Monaro. With 5.7 litres, 260kW and 500Nm Ė grunt that demands careful clutch/throttle balance for a quick getaway rather than spinning, go-nowhere Bridgestones Ė the Holden eats Mustangs and spits out Nissans, requiring just 6.0 seconds to sprint to 100km/h and hitting 400 metres in just a whiff over 14 flat. The Monaro is more muffled in sound but still meaty, if nothing like as loud as the íStang from the outside. Its gearchange is also much heavier than the Fordís surprisingly light and slick, box, but the big Holden coupe is still smooth, quick, and easy to drive.

Dynamically, the differences between the three are marked, as could be presumed given their varied origins and hardware. The 350Z is less performance coupe, more pure sports car, with its shorter wheelbase, strong, flexible engine Ė slightly punchier in the top end thanks to the changes that came with the facelift Ė and stiffer suspension combining to give depths of grip and accuracy the other two ultimately canít match. It feels much smaller, and steers better because of it. The fact that the suspension rates have been backed off a notch with this updated version is welcome. Over bumpy territory thereís now reasonable compliance instead of bucking harshness.

In these conditions the Mustang is much less happy. It combines the razor-sharp turn-in of a new MX-5 with the rear-axle control of an EA Falcon, and is disconcerting to drive hard, if perversely fun at the same time because of the challenge it presents.

The steering offers zero feel, though, and the poorly controlled rear-end dances and twitches over patchy surfaces, requiring jabs of opposite lock to counter the bump steer. No surprises, too, that it axle tramps fiercely when gassed up over less-than-glassy hotmix. At least the softish suspension Ė surely tuned for Detroitís potholes and Californiaís jarring concrete freeway joins Ė brings a very comfortable ride when cruising around town.

The Mustangís brakes require a hefty shove to get them going Ė thereís a heart-stopping soft spot on application Ė but they do the job, eventually. In comparison, the Monaroís stoppers are reasonable, given its size and weight, but the 350Z Track, with its big Brembos, are just brilliant, time and again.

The Monaro strikes a largely happy medium between body control and roll stiffness, with more than enough rear-driven grunt to help dial out its inherent mild understeer. It really is still very good, given the ageing platform Ė its adjustable dynamics allowing it to squat nicely on its loaded outside rear tyre and offer progressive, beautifully controllable oversteer. Itís a forgiving, effective, yet comfortable tool, with a ride part way between the Mustangís softness and the Zedís no-nonsense grit. All that and the power to move mountains, provided the correct selection has been made between the tall ratios of the vague-as-ever six-speed manual.

The Monaroís...

Continued:http://wheels.carpoint.ninemsn.com.a...Alias=wheelsau
    Hidden Content
    ďFor the looks, I think the Charger tries too hard to look cool. It's the fat guy with a bald patch wearing fiery tattoos and a muscle shirt. The G8 is the mixed martial arts champion that strolls around in dockers and a golf shirt because he knows how to fight and doesn't feel the need to impress anyone with a tough guy outfit."
    Michael_S

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Re: Mustang GT takes on 350Z and Monaro CV8Z

cliffnotes plz. Kthx.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 VE Omega Int Dual Fuel

Fairly good writeup for the Monaro

Mike

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

very fair review,fortunately they didn't knock every plastic bit in all cars-something that I hate to read about and I am completely fed up with.
    There's something wrong about performance numbers as usual ,2mph don't make such a big difference-400Hp Monaro goes to 60 in 5.0 to 5.3 sec./and Mustang around 5.4.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by powervette
    very fair review,fortunately they didn't knock every plastic bit in all cars-something that I hate to read about and I am completely fed up with.
    There's something wrong about performance numbers as usual ,2mph don't make such a big difference-400Hp Monaro goes to 60 in 5.0 to 5.3 sec./and Mustang around 5.4.
    Not all Mag's drop the clutch at rediculous RPMs to get the fasted possible time, also atmospheric levels, australian fuel and the like are all factors that could significantly alter acceleration times. But i do like their emphasis on driving dynamics over interior nitpiks\.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

yeah it's a general trend I've seen with 'foreign' reviews - they all focus on the cars themselves rather than shaking the box of car rag cliches and stringing together "coarse" "unrefined" "rough" "unfinished" after every word

I still can't get over how sh1tty Jedlicka complained about the G6's "interior of the trunk lid has a rough, unfinished look"

What a tool.

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/je...ntiac&model=G6

Thanks

$115,000......... holy crap.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Toyota Aygo City Car. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Aych Es Vee
    We'll, if you want something unique and rare you have to pay for it,
    right? Wouldn't be so bad if it didn't have to be converted to RHD.

I wonder if the upcoming Camaro will be available with RHD out of the
    box?
    Previously owned Camaro's ;
    1973 RS
    1977 Z28
    1980 Z28
    1982 Z28
    2000 Z28

Previously owned Corvette;

Current ride;
    2008 Toyota Aygo city car

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikkoo
    We'll, if you want something unique and rare you have to pay for it,
    right? Wouldn't be so bad if it didn't have to be converted to RHD.

I wonder if the upcoming Camaro will be available with RHD out of the
    box?

even if its not, it probably wouldnt be hard to convert

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by Cortazzo
    Not all Mag's drop the clutch at rediculous RPMs to get the fasted possible time, also atmospheric levels, australian fuel and the like are all factors that could significantly alter acceleration times. But i do like their emphasis on driving dynamics over interior nitpiks\.
    I am confident that this mag Wheels has done everything humanly possible to ensure the fastest possible time. Along with Motor, Wheels magazine is one of the premier motoring magazines in Australia. Motor quotes the CV8 0-100kph sprint in 6.02. Thats pretty close for a coincidence. Also, Motor uses a state of the art Vbox to measure its times.

The reputation of both magazines is also further creditted with their focus on driving dynamics over interior "nitpiks". Moreover this pushed ever higher by their differing selection of Car Of The Years. Royal Auto Clubs of Australia (RACQ, RACV etc.) tend to pick feature packed cars that are strong value for money and not necessarily safer. RACQ picked the Honda Oddessy as "People mover of the year". Wheels wouldn't even let it run in their Car Of The Year competition because there wasn't lap sash seat belts for all occupants.

There are many auto blogs and publications, but only two who's comments and statistics I take as gospel.
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member JoeT's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 Holden Monaro CV8

Quote Originally Posted by Mikkoo
    I wonder if the upcoming Camaro will be available with RHD out of the box?
    Holden boss Denny Mooney says 'Yes'. He wants the Camaro out here, along with Hummer, Cadillac & Corvette.

Wheels & Motor are the only car mags I buy. The rest are crap.
    Last edited by JoeT; 04-28-2006 at 06:26 AM.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

As an American you'll have to pardon me, but "lap sash" belts? Is that what you call a 3-point belt? (goes across the lap and over one shoulder)

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jwrebholz
    As an American you'll have to pardon me, but "lap sash" belts? Is that what you call a 3-point belt? (goes across the lap and over one shoulder)
    yes

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aych Es Vee
    If it makes it you feel any better, (it won't) that's $115k Aussie Dollars. In real money that about $87k for a $25k Mustang GT.
    And that's about $46k for the Goat with the funny accent.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar IROCNROL1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 Camaro/next year, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by [Corporal Dan]
    yeah it's a general trend I've seen with 'foreign' reviews - they all focus on the cars themselves rather than shaking the box of car rag cliches and stringing together "coarse" "unrefined" "rough" "unfinished" after every word

I still can't get over how sh1tty Jedlicka complained about the G6's "interior of the trunk lid has a rough, unfinished look"

What a tool.

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/je...ntiac&model=G6
    You guys are right. I couldn't figure out what was wrong, then realized there wasn't enough coverage on the dash grain pattern. At least half the article would be devoted to that in NA. I feel so cheated and underinformed.

Anyway, the Monaro sounds sweet. Hope you get a replacement soon.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information