Milestone: Holden builds 50,000th VF Commodore - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Milestone: Holden builds 50,000th VF Commodore

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,257 Times in 1,765 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Re: Milestone: Holden builds 50,000th VF Commodore

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    My wife works in aged care she is not allowed to use a 4WD vehicle because it's too hard for her clients to get in and out of
    That's crazy - until 2007 I had an Astra and getting my mother-in-law in/out after her stroke was purgatory - wrecked my back completely.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BBDOS CV8 View Post
    I doubt Elizabeth will last past end of 2015 - maybe not even that long. Even with 50,000 cars in about 11 months, the factory is running at 50% levels of production on one shift. They can double that. The current Cruze is due to exit no later than end of this year which frees up another 20-30% capacity.

All they need to do is build out 10-20K PPVs - that will fuflifl obligations made to operators in the US to supply for four or five years. Same with SS - it's selling at a rate of around 3-4K a year allowing for seasonal variation. Build 15,000 and park them, They have enough to see out 2016.

As GolfBravo indicated, a lot of tooling is already allocated elsewhere in the GM empire. They can just turn over the VE panel presses to the aftermarket (Rare Spares) like they did to all the existing Commodore pressings including blueprints as that has been identified as ongoing honeypot - licencing old parts production for VB-VZ Commodores.

I don't believe GM will set up another line of low-volume cars in North America. All indications are once Gen V Camaro goes they are closing down the Zeta line if not the entire plant. It's possible but not likely Zeta forms the bare bones of Omega. Doubtful except maybe conceptually.
    Do you think they will store cars 4 or 5 years? I have my doubts on that one.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
    Do you think they will store cars 4 or 5 years? I have my doubts on that one.
    Why 4 or 5 years?

The official plan is to cease local production by the end of 2017. The real/unofficial plan is to cease production by mid-2017 anyway.

Stopping production in, say, July 2017 would mean that last dealer orders would be build in March 2017 (so I guess March would the last month of Chevy SS production, or even earlier), and then Holden would build a special/limited edition Equipe/International/Olympic/Adios Muchachos/Toodle-oo/Au revoir VFs from April to July (no customer options).

Should Holden go ahead with the other plan and shut shop by the end of 2015, that would be maximum of 13 month's worth of export production (Holden don't build cars during 3 week Xmas shutdown anyway). The plant can easily hold 4800 cars in stock, plus external facilities, most likely in the US.

Nothing new for GM anyway.
    Last edited by GolfBravo; 04-01-2014 at 04:31 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,901 Times in 1,242 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    That's crazy - until 2007 I had an Astra and getting my mother-in-law in/out after her stroke was purgatory - wrecked my back completely.
    When you see them get in and out you understand why. My wife carrys a swivel seat with her they drop into it and swing around. Many of them use walkers which are at just the right height for her Berlina. Most of her contemporaries use smaller cars and my wife's clients love her car because the others are too small and hard to get in and out of
    Last edited by VS Ute 5Litre; 04-01-2014 at 04:25 PM.
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    Holden S2 LX Captiva diesel

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    My wife works in aged care she is not allowed to use a 4WD vehicle because it's too hard for her clients to get in and out of
    I know my mum your typical 77yr old pensioner doesn't like the 4wd's i bring home to review because she has issues getting in and out of them same with my Captiva.
    My cars my mum has preferred to get in and out of was the Caprice V because of the massive room the chrysler 300c and the VF, she wasn't crash hot on cars the size of a Barina as well but didn't mind the Cruze for some reason and Trax was easy for her to get in and out of but she didn't like the interior room in that either.
    When dad was alive the Captiva was king because we had enough room for the whole family plus his portable oxygen tank.
    Look out im on twitter @kts350
    3 on the Tree Hidden Content size="4">http://kts350.wix.com/3onthetree

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kts350 For This Useful Post:

mikmak (04-02-2014)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 SV6 Manual, Impulse Blue

Quote Originally Posted by AceRimmer View Post
    After Ford announced they were closing manufacturing in Australia, Ford came out and did that presentation to selected dealers to show them what products they had planned for Australia post Falcon.

Any idea if GM will do the same? Or GM has got NFI what to offer instead of the Commodore?
    Most likely NFI, all the cars for the most part that are new or coming to showrooms soon seem like also rans even the reveal of the next gen Cruze leaves me underwhelmed and thinking of Kia. The interior shots looked ok but that god awful colour just clashes.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Commodore had a pretty good month, but Holden are stretching the good news a bit (best Y on Y increase of any vehicle). That's because last year the VEII was marking time.

Thanks

Collingwood Commodore

Collingwood Commodore revealed

www.drive.com.au
    April 14, 2014

Holden's sponsorship of the Collingwood Football Club has borne fruit in the form of a special-edition VF Commodore produced as a tribute to the most popular football club in the country.

Holden spokeswoman Kate Lonsdale says the cars will target one-eyed Pies fans with a monochromatic colour scheme.

The package will be available on Heron white examples of the SV6, SS and SS V models. It includes black stripes on the bonnet, boot and sides, black 20-inch alloy wheels, black grilles, vents and mirrors, black boot lip spoiler and a Collingwood badge on the boot. more

Holden-Commodore-collingwood-edition_729-620x349.jpg

You know you want one.... Carna Pies!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to AusCalais For This Useful Post:

chinamonty (04-14-2014)

Thanks
    My Ride
    VF SV6, GC8 WRX, Audi A3 Cab

As long as the Collingwood badge is a delete option.

Can't wait for the Brisbane Lions Fiat 500...

Or the Melbourne Demons Opel Astra ... oh wait...maybe not.
    Last edited by isszy; 04-14-2014 at 04:40 AM.
    Hidden Content
    2014 VF Holden Commodore SV6 sedan
    Manual, sunroof, satnav, 1600kg tow bar, side track stripes, sports armour, 19" SSV wheels
    2015 Audi A3 Attraction Cabriolet
    Black/black, Auto, Technik pack
    1998 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan
    Manual, upgraded turbo & APS intercooler, 3" exhaust, slotted rotors, 18" wheels, tow bar, Koni shocks, APS ECU upgrade
    2012 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    Grey/Black leather, satnav, camera, SST Auto AWD 2.0L Turbo

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Re: Collingwood Commodore

i think i would prefer black with white stripes.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to chinamonty For This Useful Post:

asylum (04-21-2014)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 AceRimmer's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    VF Series 2: The Red Devil

My most loved car with my most hated AFL team. it's not a match made in heaven.

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joet View Post
    holden builds 50,000th vf commodore

joshua dowling carsguide
    28 march 2014
    www.carsguide.com.au

holden has built the 50,000th version of the new commodore after its first 10 months of production, as demand for the homegrown hero ramps up after hitting an all-time low last year.

but the company isn’t popping champagne corks just yet: At its peak 10 years ago the company reached the same manufacturing milestone in a little more than three months.

Holden has built 50,000 vf commodore sedans, wagons, utes and caprice limousines over the past 10 months, most of which have been sold domestically. The 50,000th car is a silver commodore sv6 sedan which is going to a private customer in lansvale in sydney’s south-west.

About 4000 of the 50,000 cars have been exported, primarily to north america, where the caprice is sold as a police car and the v8 commodore sedan is sold as the chevrolet ss. At its peak, holden exported 60,500 cars in 2005 alone.

“the vf is quite simply the best quality car holden has ever built, and to see the 50,000th one roll off the line is a milestone everyone is very proud of,” said holden’s executive director of manufacturing, richard phillips in a media statement.

holden said it was unfair to compare the time it took to reach today’s milestone with earlier ones because the new-car market has changed dramatically over the past decade. “it’s a reflection of the unprecedented competition in the market,” said holden spokesman sean poppitt.

continue here

gigantic sigh

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information