Holden: GM getting out of RHD markets, retiring storied Aussie brand

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Holden: GM getting out of RHD markets, retiring storied Aussie brand

Thanks
    My Ride
    HQ Holden 1974 Saffron Metalic

Holden: GM getting out of RHD markets, retiring storied Aussie brand

According to a Car Advice GM is pulling out of RHD and retiring the Holden brand.

Holden axed in Australia as General Motors gets out of right-hand-drive globally
    The Holden brand will be retired at the end of this year, selected showrooms may stock a limited range of Chevrolet vehicles under new General Motors Specialty Vehicles badge.
    Joshua Dowling
    NATIONAL MOTORING EDITOR
    www.caradvice.com.au

Holden will be axed in Australia at the end of 2020 – just three years after the end of local manufacturing and the lowest monthly sales since it was established in 1948 – as US car giant General Motors gets out of right-hand-drive markets globally.

Although Holden had been posting record low sales – which led to the end of the Commodore and Astra models late last year – the announcement has still come as a shock to industry veterans now the brand has lost its final lifeline.

General Motors will also close its Melbourne design studio and test track at Lang Lang on the south-east outskirts of Melbourne. Approximately 600 of the 800 jobs will be lost, with all being awarded redundancies. The remaining workforce of 200 people will take care of Holden's ongoing service and warranty commitments for up to 10 years.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE
    Last edited by nadepalma; 02-18-2020 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Reformatted; moved to newsticker
    Current rides
    2004 VZ SV6
    2005 VZ Commodore Wagon HFV6
    1974 HQ Holden 308 V8

Hidden Content

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hq308 For This Useful Post:

Juche (02-17-2020),nadepalma (02-18-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: GM getting out of RHD and retiring Holden brand

im seeing everywhere on FB, haven't seen or heard an official statement though

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Andrew L's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 MKZ Hybrid

Current Car: 2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid Reserve Ice Storm 2.0h CVT
    Previous Cars
    2008 Ford Focus SE Sedan White 2.0L Duratec I4 4 Speed Automatic
    2004 Lincoln LS V6 Luxury Cashmere Tri-Coat 3.0L Duratec V6 5 Speed Automatic with SST
    1999 Mercury Sable LS Premium Toreador Red Clear Coat Metalic 3.0L Duratec V6 4 Speed Automatic

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew L For This Useful Post:

Juche (02-17-2020)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,255 Times in 1,416 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

,i,,

,i,,

,i,,

GM - eventually you;ll get what you deserve hop you go brankrupt again

This time you wont have you only profitable division to bail you out
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VS Ute 5Litre For This Useful Post:

Evo69 (02-17-2020),Holdlion (02-18-2020),hq308 (02-18-2020),Juche (02-17-2020),SierraGS (02-23-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    18 Regal GS / 04 Canyon Z71

https://www.facebook.com/holdenaustr...57868279124898
    With a heavy heart, Holden announced today that General Motors will be retiring the Holden brand in Australia and New Zealand. This announcement will be felt deeply by the entire Holden family, our customers and our fans.

Holden will continue to support customers in the following ways:

- Honour all existing warranties and guarantees
    - Honour all free scheduled servicing offers
    - Ongoing call centre support
    - Provide servicing and spare parts for at least 10 years, through national aftersales networks in Australia and New Zealand

We understand the impact of this decision on our customers, our people, our Dealers and our partners. Today is a sad day for the Holden family. We are committed to a transition that lives up to Holden’s proud history.
    A full statement with Q&As can be found here:
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/holde...9515738748452/

General Motors will be retiring the Holden brand in Australia and New Zealand.
    HOLDEN · SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 16, 2020

We encourage our followers and customers to please read the following statement.

With a heavy heart, Holden announced today that General Motors will be retiring the Holden brand in Australia and New Zealand. This announcement will be felt deeply by the entire Holden family, our customers and our fans.

We will immediately begin working with our dealer partners across Australia and New Zealand to implement an orderly transition, including support for our existing customers.

Holden will continue to support customers in the following ways:
    -Honour all existing warranties and guarantees
    -Honour all free scheduled servicing offers
    -Ongoing call centre support
    -Provide servicing and spare parts for at least 10 years, through national aftersales networks in Australia and New Zealand
    -Recalls or safety-related issues if they arise

GM has taken this difficult decision after an exhaustive analysis of the investment required for Holden to be competitive for the long term in Australia’s and New Zealand’s new car markets. Regrettably, this assessment determined such an investment could not meet GM’s investment thresholds, including delivering an appropriate return.

Factors weighing against further investment in Holden included: the highly fragmented right-hand-drive domestic markets; the economics to support growing the brand; and delivering an appropriate return on investment.

More broadly is the issue of scale. The global consolidation of the automotive industry has made it increasingly challenging to support a brand and a business that operates in only two markets, which represent less than one per cent of the global industry.

This decision has not been taken lightly, especially considering the iconic status of the Holden brand and the contribution it has made not only to GM, but to the development of the economies of Australia and New Zealand.

It impacts all aspects of the Holden business, including the wind-down of the National Sales Company, GM Holden Engineering, GM Design Australia, Holden Financial Services and Maven Australia.

We are commencing work with our dealer partners on timing to cease sales of new vehicles, as well as transitioning dealerships to authorised service outlets.

Customer Questions

Where can I get my Holden serviced?

Holden will establish a national aftersales network to support existing customers for at least the next 10 years. All current Holden dealers will be offered the opportunity to transition to Holden authorised service outlets.

Will you honour my warranty?

Yes. Holden will continue to honour all existing warranties.

For how long will Holden provide spare parts?

Holden will provide existing Holden customers aftersales support for at least 10 years, including warranty, service, spare parts and any required recall or field actions.

How far will I need to travel to get my car serviced in future?
    Holden will establish a national aftersales network. All current Holden dealers will be offered the opportunity to transition to Holden authorised service outlets.

What happens if there is a vehicle recall?
    As required, Holden and its aftersales network will also continue to handle any recalls or safety-related issues if they arise, working with the appropriate governmental agencies.

I just bought a Holden, can I return it or get compensation?

We stand by our products and Holden owners will continue to be supported by a national aftersales network for at least 10 years. Customers can be assured that Holden will honour all warranties and servicing agreements, as well as providing spare parts, repair, service and any required recall or field actions.

Can I still buy a new Holden?

Yes, Holden Dealerships still have a range of new, demonstrator and used vehicles available for sale. If you are interested, you should contact your local Dealer while stock lasts.

General Questions

When will Holden close?

We are committed to looking after existing Holden customers – and our plan is to provide aftersales support for at least 10 years. We will work closely with our dealers and customers around the appropriate timing to cease sales in Australia and New Zealand.

What parts of the Holden operation are impacted by this decision?

The National Sales Company; Design, Engineering, Maven, Holden Financial Services. We will retain a team to support our aftersales operation.

Wouldn’t it have been better to close Holden when local manufacturing ended?

We believed at the time that Holden could continue as a full-line importer.

What happens to Lang Lang Proving Ground?

We will explore options around the Lang Lang Proving Ground.

What happens to HSV?

We plan to focus our growth strategies in these markets on the specialty vehicles business and plan to immediately begin work with our partner on that focus.

What happens to Holden’s collection of historic vehicles, vehicles of national significance?

We will preserve key heritage vehicles and are working through plans with GM and local partners and institutions.

Is Corvette still coming to Australia and New Zealand?

We will work through this and share information in the coming months.

What is the future of Holden in Supercar racing?

We will begin discussions with the organisers of Supercars and Red Bull Holden Racing Team. We will update you on these discussions at the appropriate time.

Will Holden continue to sponsor Red Bull Holden Racing Team Racing?

We are aware of our commitment and we will work through with Red Bull Holden Racing Team the implications of this decision.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BahamaTodd For This Useful Post:

Juche (02-17-2020)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,114 Times in 510 Posts

WOW! Talk about killing your own industry.

Makes one wonder why the Germans only buy German cars in Germany.. Oh I remember.. LIVELIHOOD..

Makes one wonder why the Germans only buy German cars in Germany.. Oh I remember national PRIDE
    My current crop is 2020 CT6V Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special V&H Comp

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CMiatso DaBang For This Useful Post:

Evo69 (02-17-2020),mbukukanyau (02-16-2020),Neanderthal (02-17-2020),SierraGS (02-23-2020),wallus13 (02-16-2020)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,114 Times in 510 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    ,i,,

,i,,

,i,,

GM - eventually you;ll get what you deserve hop you go brankrupt again

This time you wont have you only profitable division to bail you out
    Question.. WHY... DIDN'T... AUSTRALIANS... BUY.. MORE.. HOLDENS? Another question.. why did Australian Labor price themselves far outside of the profitability of all makers who ended up leaving Australia and manufacturing elsewhere?
    My current crop is 2020 CT6V Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special V&H Comp

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post
    WOW! Talk about killing your own industry.

Makes one wonder why the Germans only buy German cars in Germany.. Oh I remember.. LIVELIHOOD..

Makes one wonder why the Germans only buy German cars in Germany.. Oh I remember national PRIDE
    If i'm reading this intention wrong I apologize in advance

GM killed the industry in Australia by pulling out instead of leveraging what they had

Now they lose not only sales now but forever lose sales

They can never re enter the market they will forever be a tainted brand no matter what they think

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VS Ute 5Litre For This Useful Post:

Col Klink (02-16-2020),hq308 (02-18-2020),Juche (02-17-2020),SierraGS (02-23-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post
    Question.. WHY... DIDN'T... AUSTRALIANS... BUY.. MORE.. HOLDENS? Another question.. why did Australian Labor price themselves far outside of the profitability of all makers who ended up leaving Australia and manufacturing elsewhere?
    You're kidding yourself

People bought real Holden's in droves however they didn't want the pretend imports

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to VS Ute 5Litre For This Useful Post:

Col Klink (02-16-2020),Greg Burr (02-20-2020),hq308 (02-18-2020),Juche (02-17-2020),Murrow (02-18-2020),Myron 65 (02-17-2020),SierraGS (02-23-2020)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    15 ATS Performance AWD

RIP Holden. RIP GM Europe. Saab. Pontiac. Saturn. Hummer. GMSA.
    Soon, RIP Buick? Cadillac? GM China?

Never has a company been run (into the ground) by such absolute morons!

What’s going to happen to HSV/ Watkinshaw (sic)?

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CadillacSA For This Useful Post:

AusCalais (02-19-2020),djo165 (02-17-2020),hq308 (02-18-2020),Juche (02-17-2020),RedSkyBlackDream (02-20-2020),SierraGS (02-23-2020),VS Ute 5Litre (02-16-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    VFII Calais Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by CadillacSA View Post

From 15% market share to 0% in less than 8 years. Remarkable.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlackCB For This Useful Post:

CadillacSA (02-16-2020),Col Klink (02-16-2020),Juche (02-17-2020),kmacleod (02-17-2020),vt6banger (02-16-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    18 Regal GS / 04 Canyon Z71

HOLDEN VEHICLE SALES, DESIGN AND ENGINEERING TO CEASE IN AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND
    February 17, 2020
    HOLDEN

MELBOURNE – The Holden brand will be retired from sales in Australia and New Zealand and local design and engineering operations will wind down by 2021, General Motors (NYSE: GM) announced today. Maven and Holden Financial Services operations will also wind down in Australia.

GM International Operations Senior Vice President Julian Blissett said GM had taken the difficult decision after implementing and considering numerous options to maintain and turn around Holden operations.

“Through its proud 160-year history, Holden has not only made cars, it has been a powerful driver of the industrialization and advancement of Australia and New Zealand,” said Blissett.

“Over recent years, as the industry underwent significant change globally and locally, we implemented a number of alternative strategies to try to sustain and improve the business, together with the local team.”

GM undertook a detailed analysis of the investment required for Holden to be competitive beyond the current generation of products. Factors impacting the business case for further investment included the highly fragmented right-hand-drive markets, the economics to support growing the brand, and delivering an appropriate return on investment.

“After comprehensive assessment, we regret that we could not prioritize the investment required for Holden to be successful for the long term in Australia and New Zealand, over all other considerations we have globally,” said Blissett.

“This decision is based on global priorities and does not reflect the hard work, talent and professionalism of the Holden team.”

GM intends to focus its growth strategy in Australia and New Zealand on the specialty vehicles business and plans to immediately work with its partner on developing these plans.

GM Holden Interim Chairman and Managing Director Kristian Aquilina said that given the significance of Holden through its history, it was critical the company worked with all stakeholders to deliver a dignified and respectful wind-down.

“Holden will always have a special place in the development of our countries. As Australia and New Zealand grew, Holden was a part of the engine room fuelling that development,” said Aquilina.

“Today’s announcement will be felt deeply by the many people who love Holdens, drive Holdens and feel connected to our company which has been with us for 160 years and is almost ubiquitous in our lives.

“Unfortunately, all the hard work and talent of the Holden family, the support of our parent company GM and the passion of our loyal supporters have not been enough to overcome our challenges.

“We understand the impact of this decision on our people, our customers, our dealers and our partners – and will work closely with all stakeholders to deliver a dignified and respectful transition.”

Holden customers can be assured that the company will honour all warranties and servicing offers made at time of sale. Holden will provide servicing and spare parts for at least 10 years, through national aftersales networks in Australia and New Zealand. As required, Holden and its aftersales network will also continue to handle any recalls or safety-related issues if they arise, working with the appropriate governmental agencies.

Impacted Holden employees will be provided separation packages and employment transition support.

Holden will work with its dealer network on appropriate transition arrangements, including offering dealers the opportunity to continue as authorized service outlets to support Holden customers.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to BahamaTodd For This Useful Post:

Juche (02-17-2020)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Col Klink's Avatar
    Thanks

Even down here https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12309271 .

Looks like goodbye GM outside North America & China.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Col Klink For This Useful Post:

hq308 (02-18-2020),Juche (02-17-2020),SierraGS (02-23-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacSA View Post

What’s going to happen to HSV/ Watkinshaw (sic)?
    If I read that press release correctly they plan on trying to keep selling their converted imports here using HSV

I , like many others won't buy another GM vehicle ever again

They can jam them fair up their arse

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VS Ute 5Litre For This Useful Post:

Col Klink (02-16-2020),Juche (02-17-2020),SierraGS (02-23-2020)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Col Klink's Avatar
    Thanks

I think you mean why did GM strangle Holden out of export markets (other than New Zealand) and supply it with inferior FWD and utes for decades , gosh who knew they would struggle to sell sub-par vehicles (Commodore being the only exception, that they couldn't see should have been used as a platform for other vehicles globally including SUV's).

To sum up, thanks for nothing GM another brand you have trashed, better give the execs a bonus.

30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Col Klink For This Useful Post:

hq308 (02-18-2020),JTWard1951 (02-20-2020),Juche (02-17-2020),Oldsmobile stopped (02-17-2020),RedSkyBlackDream (02-20-2020),SierraGS (02-23-2020)

31. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information