Holden dealers expected to sell out of cars “within weeks” after buyers rush showroom

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holden dealers expected to sell out of cars “within weeks” after buyers rush showroom

Thanks
    My Ride
    WRX Premium, GC8 WRX, BMW 318i

Holden dealers expected to sell out of cars “within weeks” after buyers rush showroom

Buyers looking to snap up a new-car bargain – driven by discounts of up to $17,500 – are running out of time and choice as Holden dealers sell out of stock faster than expected.

An investigation by CarAdvice has found most Holden dealers are keen to clear their remaining stock as quickly as possible, and some are now likely to run out of vehicles “within weeks”, while a small number of outlets are trying to stockpile and keep trading for a few months.

Sales at most leading Holden showrooms have tripled over the past week, leaving them with fewer than one or two dozen vehicles to clear.

“It’s like the 1990s again,” said a Holden dealer located in metropolitan Melbourne. “If we could have sold cars at this rate before, we wouldn’t need to shut down.”
    More at link https://www.caradvice.com.au/830854/...ush-showrooms/

Methinks this suggests the cars were overpriced by around $7500 - $17,500...

2017 Subaru WRX Premium S-Edition sedan
    White/Black, CVT
    2018 BMW 318i M Sport sedan
    Black/black, Auto
    1998 Subaru Impreza WRX sedan
    Manual, EJ22 short motor, VF34 turbo & APS intercooler, 3" exhaust, slotted rotors, 18" wheels, tow bar, Koni shocks, ECUtek reflash
    2012 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    Grey/Black leather, satnav, camera, SST Auto AWD 2.0L Turbo
    2010 Holden Cruze CDX sedan
    Red/Black leather, satnav, camera, diesel auto
    Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,604 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Re: Holden dealers expected to sell out of cars “within weeks” after buyers rush show

Quote Originally Posted by isszy View Post

While it does make you wonder I would also like to see some of these actual prices people pay - looking at dealer websites they are still advertising prices over and above what you would expect
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,144 Times in 2,647 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    Buyers looking to snap up a new-car bargain – driven by discounts of up to $17,500 – are running out of time and choice as Holden dealers sell out of stock faster than expected.

An investigation by CarAdvice has found most Holden dealers are keen to clear their remaining stock as quickly as possible, and some are now likely to run out of vehicles “within weeks”, while a small number of outlets are trying to stockpile and keep trading for a few months.

Sales at most leading Holden showrooms have tripled over the past week, leaving them with fewer than one or two dozen vehicles to clear.

“It’s like the 1990s again,” said a Holden dealer located in metropolitan Melbourne. “If we could have sold cars at this rate before, we wouldn’t need to shut down.”

Maybe GM has written off the cost of the vehicles as a way of giving dealers access to ready cash?
    They did breach their obligations to local dealers.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,982 Times in 1,402 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Re: Holden dealers expected to sell out of cars “within weeks” after buyers rush show

also that there is " value" in the NAME HOLDEN and it is purely pricing AND a case of "you don't know what you got till you lose it"

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,584 Posts

Are the current Holdens that bad? Or has the market just changed?

On the website, I think the Ute still looks pretty cool. It's listed under "Utes" but is the Colorado, which is a great truck.

And I like the looks of the Commodore too, but I also like the Regal and that doesn't sell either.
    Last edited by ksr; 02-28-2020 at 08:03 AM.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 RedHotMike's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    Are the current Holdens that bad? Or has the market just changed?

On the website, I think the Ute still looks pretty cool. It's listed under "Utes" but is the Colorado, which is a great truck.

And I like the looks of the Commodore too, but I also like the Regal and that doesn't sell either.
    Ok - I'm a mid-late 40's guy that had a litany of SS Commodores/HSV's over the last 20 years. My current daily is a Z71 Colorado which was best value for money at the time I bought it but alas it's the last Holden I'm ever likely to own. (even before the most recent announcement).

Put simply there is (was) **nothing** in their portfolio that was of interest to me. I've been thinking about what my future fleet is going to look like as I build my new garage (and house) to put them:

Family truckster: 200 Landcruiser
    Mrsssuss Daily: Prado
    My Daily: Z71 Colorado
    Weekender: Aston Martin V8 Vantage

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RedHotMike For This Useful Post:

ksr (03-01-2020)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Yep, we've had a great couple of weeks. Selling lots of Colorado and cheap Trax.

We're getting loads of people giving us crazy offers on some cars like $30k for a 2019 VXR Commodore or $15k for a Trax, however overall there's been loads more activity than normal.

I would expect that most of the 'good stock' will be gone by the end of April.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to timandhayley For This Useful Post:

AceRimmer (02-29-2020),BlackGTP (03-01-2020),Ed753 (02-29-2020),hq308 (03-01-2020),JimmyDiablo (02-29-2020),mikmak (03-10-2020),richmond2000 (02-29-2020)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,144 Times in 2,647 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    While it's sad, I'd rather dealer franchises get an opportunity to exit Holden ASAP.
    No point in dragging this out.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Some dealers want it to drag on at the moment, as they don't want an empty showroom (they're still trying to organise new franchises to replace Holden). Multi-franchise dealers will probably want to move on quicker, as they have other brands that can make up for the loss of Holden.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timandhayley For This Useful Post:

chinamonty (03-02-2020),hq308 (03-01-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    VF Series 2: The Red Devil

I am just visiting the NT and the local dealer is advertising a brand new commodore for $23980 drive away.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

They're brand new MY19 ZB LT liftbacks. Holden had a few hundred of them which they wholesaled to dealers at the end of last year at very attractive pricing. They were the only excess stocks remaining of ZB. The last few months of build are all MY20's, which are all destined for Police forces across Australia.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Not much evidence of this showing up in Holden's February sales numbers. Stories of Holden dealers selling out of remaining stock due to massive GM-funded discounts were not reflected in the sales charts, with the now-defunct Lion Brand tumbling 49.8 per cent to just 1367 units including just 598 Colorados, 132 bull dust Insignia Commodores, and 111 Equinoxes.

If somebody had said 10 years ago a Chinese MG HS would outsell a Holden Commodore in 2020, you would have got laughed out the bar.
    Last edited by Oldsmobile stopped; 03-08-2020 at 07:13 PM.
    OLDSMOBILE - "Start Something"

100 MPG Chevrolet Silverado E-REV - Fleets only still waiting.
    Hidden Content
    Cut the dependance on Arab oil, cut the trade deficit in foreign oil.

Life is to short - drive live your dream

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsmobile stopped View Post
    Not much evidence of this showing up in Holden's February sales numbers. Stories of Holden dealers selling out of remaining stock due to massive GM-funded discounts were not reflected in the sales charts, with the now-defunct Lion Brand tumbling 49.8 per cent to just 1367 units including just 598 Colorados, 132 bull dust Insignia Commodores, and 111 Equinoxes.
    Why would they?

The sale started in March

19. The Following User Says Thank You to VS Ute 5Litre For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (03-08-2020)

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    Why would they?

The sale started in March
    There will still be a quite a few Insignia's left around unsold next March, they will have to hold a raffle to get rid of them.

1st prize Holden Insignia
    2nd prize Two Holden Insignia's
    3rd prize Four Holden Insignia's
    OLDSMOBILE - "Start Something"

100 MPG Chevrolet Silverado E-REV - Fleets only still waiting.
    Hidden Content
    Cut the dependance on Arab oil, cut the trade deficit in foreign oil.

Life is to short - drive live your dream

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Oldsmobile stopped View Post
    There will still be a quite a few Insignia's left around unsold next March, they will have to hold a raffle to get rid of them.

1st prize Holden Insignia
    2nd prize Two Holden Insignia's
    3rd prize Four Holden Insignia's
    Whatever your opinion the facts are Gm's announcement was made mid February , a traditionally slow sales month in a down market

Some customers also had the option to cancel orders scheduled to be delivered in Feb and re order post the sale date but they would have to lose their 7 year warrantee offered in Feb

March figures should be inflated more than usual but I doubt they will be spectacular for Commodore as they are not being discounted much

Biggest winners will be Colorado and Trailbazer

Firstly because they are a model in a class that's in demand

Secondly because they're being shipped from Thailand and there are huge mark ups on them initially

There is not much margin in European sourced models

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information