Holden boss Dave Buttner steps down after the company posts its lowest sales since 19 - Page 5

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Holden boss Dave Buttner steps down after the company posts its lowest sales since 19

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,605 Times in 2,340 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Re: Holden boss Dave Buttner steps down after the company posts its lowest sales sinc

Sales numbers by themselves are meaningless but add the value of revenue
    and more importantly, profit to the company and we see the case of viability.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Re: Holden boss Dave Buttner steps down after the company posts its lowest sales sinc

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    Tell me more?
    A2SC and A2SH

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC carisi2k9's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 VE Sportswagon

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    McDonalds sells more Burgers than anyone

But they're ****

Sales are not everything
    Those burgers might not be to your or my liking but they sell more of them then any other brand and so there must be a reason for this. Sales are everything because if you don't sell things then how do you make money. The VN turned around the sales failure that was the VB-VL and made Holden profitable again. Again your mistaking a cult following with mainstream acceptance. The 6 and 8 cylinder cars were the sales backbone and the 6 turbo was a novelty with a cult following. If it was so successful then why didn't Holden keep the turbo for the VN?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to carisi2k9 For This Useful Post:

hq308 (12-10-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,065 Times in 1,334 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Quote Originally Posted by carisi2k9 View Post
    Those burgers might not be to your or my liking but they sell more of them then any other brand and so there must be a reason for this. Sales are everything because if you don't sell things then how do you make money. The VN turned around the sales failure that was the VB-VL and made Holden profitable again. Again your mistaking a cult following with mainstream acceptance. The 6 and 8 cylinder cars were the sales backbone and the 6 turbo was a novelty with a cult following. If it was so successful then why didn't Holden keep the turbo for the VN?
    Exchange rate and floating the dollar caused the Nissan engine to be very expensive

It's still the best engine ever fitted to holden

NOte Holden boosted the 6 again later on

Why?

Because there was a market for a performance 6

Still is
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,605 Times in 2,340 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Definitively what now does make Holden 'special'?

For mine, in marketplace perception it appears to be an utterly fading 'loser' brand, and with loser resale on almost everything bar Colorado. Other brands tune for local. Let's face it, Holden's brand equity value is past-tense, shot to hell.

To the average punter, which brand do you reckon currently carries less baggage in social-stigma (read; buyers ego) - Holden, or say made-in-China MG?
    Quite honestly, I think that Hyundai/Kia is the filling the role of the new "Holden", they are keen to build market share with aggressive pricing and take slim profits.

Toyota is way out in front with sales at the moment but I think H/K is going after the likes of Mazda and perhaps Mitsubishi and anyone counting on sales in those price sensitive segments.

Ford is off with the fairys and as long as they get enough +$40K sales, they're happy. As a volume car maker, they're acting rather pretentious by not selling entry level trims and trying to imitate an up market brand but with virtually no product depth. The big Ace in Ford's hand is its alliance with VW and what that ultimately means with vehicle sharing.

Holden now finds itself trapped in discount world, the moment they try to ask decent prices, sales begin to sink. They're in a world of hate with products that buyers have mixed feelings about. There are still some strategies open to them but they need the right people there to make it happen, very unfortunate they didn't have Dave Buttner in there earlier, I think he would have managed the transition much better.
    Last edited by jpd80; 12-08-2019 at 06:01 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

nota (12-09-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I think Holden are a little lazy with the money they make off Colorado. That does not help dealers though as they need the volume.

I would love to see Holden take some risks with product and to keep nameplates going. Holden Spark was my personal forgotten hero - its just the kind of car Holden needed to get buyers in the door, or to keep mum and dad with Holden when they needed a new second car or buy a first car for their son and daughter. It was also healthy for the dealer forecourt to have some bright coloured cars that attracted a much different buyer to the typical Commodore or Colorado owner.

Spark was selling well even with a 3 year warranty against Kias 7 year and Mitsubishis 5 year, it was also the pick of the segment. Holden brings out 5 year warranty and.... drops Spark.

Spark continues in NZ, I know there is no money in this type of car. But Holden shouldnt be afraid to take on the Koreans and the Japanese at their own game, shows confidence which Holden needs right now.

Maybe bring out the CrossSpark SUV version that way they can charge more for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Downandout; 12-08-2019 at 06:27 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,770 Times in 5,645 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GolfBravo View Post
    A2SC and A2SH
    And they're kaput?

Thanks
    My Ride
    HQ Holden 1974 Saffron Metalic

Sales are not everything

The Turbo 6 or in fact any hot 6 in Australia has always had a following since the 70's

Charger

XU1

VL Turbo

XR6

XR6 Turbo

Need I say more?
    Every one of them is an inline 6 and RWD, can't say I've ever seen a V6 with FWD or AWD that comes anywhere near these as far as "cult" following in Australia.

You can also add to the fact that they were all developed here in Australia too, that plays a part in their popularity too.
    Current rides
    2004 VZ SV6
    2005 VZ Commodore Wagon HFV6
    1974 HQ Holden 308 V8

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by hq308 View Post
    Every one of them is an inline 6 and RWD, can't say I've ever seen a V6 with FWD or AWD that comes anywhere near these as far as "cult" following in Australia.

You can also add to the fact that they were all developed here in Australia too, that plays a part in their popularity too.
    I was talking about a V6Turbo Caddy

Doesn't have to be a V8 to be taken to heart in Aus

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Downandout View Post
    I think Holden are a little lazy with the money they make off Colorado. That does not help dealers though as they need the volume.
    Redundancies are expensive, somebody has to pay for them.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Very sad to see Holden in such a sorry ole state, lowest sales ever FWD Insignia led to new lows, and the boss falls on his sword who was going to be Holden's great saviour when he arrived.

Looking at the current line-up the future does not look good, l personally would not buy anything thats on offer nothing appeals to me personally one little bit, maybe the Aussie car buyers feel the same way, that said Holden have made some absolutely fantastic cars in the past they just seem to have lost thier mojo, it's all about product.

Good luck to Holden, and l hope the boss finds another job.
    Last edited by Oldsmobile stopped; 12-11-2019 at 02:08 PM.
    OLDSMOBILE - "Start Something"

100 MPG Chevrolet Silverado E-REV - Fleets only still waiting.
    Hidden Content
    Cut the dependance on Arab oil, cut the trade deficit in foreign oil.

Life is to short - drive live your dream

Thanks
    My Ride

Buttner did not "fall on his sword" he's not that sort of bloke he left for personal reasons not because of Holdens position

Thanks
    My Ride
    HQ Holden 1974 Saffron Metalic

I was talking about a V6Turbo Caddy

Doesn't have to be a V8 to be taken to heart in Aus
    A turbo V6 Caddy might work but I'm still not sure it would get the cult following the others have had over the years. Apart from the things I've already mentioned those previous Aussie 6 cylinder cars were plentiful, reasonably economical to buy and modify and aftermarket parts were/are fairly plentiful. A Caddy will never be cheap and as a result I doubt there would ever be enough around that people would start modifying them. Cheap and easy to modify is a big part of the LS V8's popularity.

For the record I like the idea of a VT-VZ sized turbo V6 RWD sedan. The TT V6 Torana concept would be a near perfect drive car in my mind, if they had put it into production I have no doubt it would have been a cult classic.
    Current rides
    2004 VZ SV6
    2005 VZ Commodore Wagon HFV6
    1974 HQ Holden 308 V8

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by hq308 View Post
    A turbo V6 Caddy might work but I'm still not sure it would get the cult following the others have had over the years. Apart from the things I've already mentioned those previous Aussie 6 cylinder cars were plentiful, reasonably economical to buy and modify and aftermarket parts were/are fairly plentiful. A Caddy will never be cheap and as a result I doubt there would ever be enough around that people would start modifying them. Cheap and easy to modify is a big part of the LS V8's popularity.

For the record I like the idea of a VT-VZ sized turbo V6 RWD sedan. The TT V6 Torana concept would be a near perfect drive car in my mind, if they had put it into production I have no doubt it would have been a cult classic.
    Agreed

Just another mis step from GM not letting Holden go through with it

19. The Following User Says Thank You to VS Ute 5Litre For This Useful Post:

hq308 (12-12-2019)

20. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information