Holden boss Dave Buttner steps down after the company posts its lowest sales since 19

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holden boss Dave Buttner steps down after the company posts its lowest sales since 19

Thanks

Holden boss Dave Buttner steps down after the company posts its lowest sales since 19

Holden boss Dave Buttner has stepped down as chairman and managing director after just 16 months in the job – one of the shortest tenures in the company’s 71-year history – following the lowest sales since the company was formed in 1948.

The former Toyota executive had come out of retirement to become only the second Australian boss to run Holden after it had been led for 25 years by foreign executives. Mr Buttner had vowed to turn Holden around after the shutdown of Australian car manufacturing in October 2017.

But Holden – which had 50 per cent of the entire car market in the 1950s, and was last Australia’s top-selling brand in 2002 – has struggled to stay inside the Top 10 sellers list over the past two years.

Full article here: https://www.caradvice.com.au/811317/...es-since-1948/

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RedHotMike For This Useful Post:

Self Reliance (12-04-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,000 Times in 1,295 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Re: Holden boss Dave Buttner steps down after the company posts its lowest sales sinc

I had high hopes for him but even Jesus Christ himself could not save Holden from GM a t the moment I think

There just isn't enough of the right product at GM to fix the issues
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VS Ute 5Litre For This Useful Post:

buildacariwant (12-04-2019),Neanderthal (12-03-2019),Self Reliance (12-04-2019)

Thanks

Re: Holden boss Dave Buttner steps down after the company posts its lowest sales sinc

He said he only went to Holden as he thought it was worth saving. I guess he doesnt think so now.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to V-Car For This Useful Post:

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Heard he left sick a few weeks ago and never returned.... I don't think it was planned as they haven't named a permanent replacement.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to timandhayley For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (12-03-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    VFII Calais Wagon
    I hope his health is OK, gotta give him some kudos for trying to save Holden.

That said, Holden has been dead man walking since Head Office kicked out Hanenberger and culled engineering pre the VE release.

The brand itself won't survive 2020, do they need to name a "permanent" replacement?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackCB For This Useful Post:

V-Car (12-03-2019)

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC FRENCHY101's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Holden Astra RS-V

Umm, can anyone explain this?

https://cadillacaustralia.com/

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FRENCHY101 For This Useful Post:

nota (12-03-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by FRENCHY101 View Post
    Umm, can anyone explain this?

https://cadillacaustralia.com/
    Well they did say that RHD versions of Caddy's were coming

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by timandhayley View Post
    Heard he left sick a few weeks ago and never returned.... I don't think it was planned as they haven't named a permanent replacement.
    Wheels has reported that it's for personal reasons that they wouldn't go into any further

I think it's poorly timed but has nothing to do with company results as many have speculated

Thanks
    My Ride
    Holden Astra RS-V

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    I thought it was just pure speculation? I didn't realise it was a done deal.

So, I wonder which models then, if any, will make it over here? They'll need SUV's, no point in bringing in just sedans. The XT4, XT5, XT6 and Escalade will all need to be made available.

Thanks
    My Ride
    VFII Calais Wagon
    Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    I thought it was just pure speculation? I didn't realise it was a done deal.

So, I wonder which models then, if any, will make it over here? They'll need SUV's, no point in bringing in just sedans. The XT4, XT5, XT6 and Escalade will all need to be made available.
    Depending how Holden financially implodes, GM may have to spend some time in the penalty box before starting up a new local presence.

Given their form, the string of so obviously bad or bad faith decisions (export curbing, Korean GM inflictions, profit shifting, 4-speed VEs, taxpayer rorting, and that thing with Punch) I hold only very faint hopes that Holden's demise will be honorable.

In which case, Cadillac and Chevrolet lands here at their peril. They can kiss my @rse.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Citroen Activa, Mazda Bubble.

Best wishes for Butner's personal situation, whatever it is? At least he appeared to give it a go.

However its hard to ignore those company results, imo. Holden sales keep descending, no respite! You'd hope it would have tapered off by now. Worst result since 1948 inception, really? It's a dead brand walking... no, crawling.

I note the once dirisible Kia brand now outsells Ford (!) including its wonderfully successful Ranger. This despite Kia offering no Ute/Pickup, in a Pickup-dominated market.
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

Thanks
    My Ride
    Holden Astra RS-V

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCB View Post
    Depending how Holden financially implodes, GM may have to spend some time in the penalty box before starting up a new local presence.

Given their form, the string of so obviously bad or bad faith decisions (export curbing, Korean GM inflictions, profit shifting, 4-speed VEs, taxpayer rorting, and that thing with Punch) I hold only very faint hopes that Holden's demise will be honorable.

In which case, Cadillac and Chevrolet lands here at their peril. They can kiss my @rse.
    I'm almost betting that GM will remain in Australia, but on a much smaller scale. I think 2020 will be the last of the Holden brand as we know it and GM will be represented instead by many brands - GMC, Buick, Chevrolet and Cadillac. Maybe not all of them, but a few. Having said that though, I still don't see how GM would/could make a business case stack up for anything in RHD. Yes, the new Corvette will be here and the Camaro and Silverado are being converted to RHD in Australia, but Cadillac?? Buick?? If GMC and Chevrolet are established here, I'll bet, apart from the Camaro and Corvette, everything else will be SUV's and Ute's (Pickup's)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Holden will bounce back. Just need to have someone come in and focus on what makes Holden special - its history, its an Australian brand and its locally tuned vehicles.

Really the product that is letting the whole side down is Equinox, if that was selling CRV, Xtrail, Forester or Outlander numbers Holden would be fine with where the other cars are at.

They do need to focus on volume, the ute market at the bottom is crying out for a cheap 4 cylinder petrol tradie-special colorado cab chassis, at the top end there would be a stampede for a V8 Colorado.
    Last edited by Downandout; 12-03-2019 at 06:38 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Downandout For This Useful Post:

hq308 (12-03-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,348 Times in 1,811 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

I'm almost betting that GM will remain in Australia, but on a much smaller scale. I think 2020 will be the last of the Holden brand as we know it and GM will be represented instead by many brands - GMC, Buick, Chevrolet and Cadillac. Maybe not all of them, but a few. Having said that though, I still don't see how GM would/could make a business case stack up for anything in RHD. Yes, the new Corvette will be here and the Camaro and Silverado are being converted to RHD in Australia, but Cadillac?? Buick?? If GMC and Chevrolet are established here, I'll bet, apart from the Camaro and Corvette, everything else will be SUV's and Ute's (Pickup's)
    Chevrolet failed in Europe and Cadillac's several restarts there always failed - if GM haven't figured out why, then they probably shouldn't bother with Australia if Holden fails - GM's one consistency is that it doesn't understand foreign markets, not that it understands North America too well at times either.

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Citroen Activa, Mazda Bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by Downandout View Post
    Holden will bounce back. Just need to have someone come in and focus on what makes Holden special - its history, its an Australian brand and its locally tuned vehicles.
    Definitively what now does make Holden 'special'?

For mine, in marketplace perception it appears to be an utterly fading 'loser' brand, and with loser resale on almost everything bar Colorado. Other brands tune for local. Let's face it, Holden's brand equity value is past-tense, shot to hell.

To the average punter, which brand do you reckon currently carries less baggage in social-stigma (read; buyers ego) - Holden, or say made-in-China MG?
    Think Global - Ride on Spheres

25. The Following User Says Thank You to nota For This Useful Post:

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information