Holden announces exclusive SUV and Ute line-up

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holden announces exclusive SUV and Ute line-up

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,924 Times in 3,347 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

HOLDEN·MONDAY, DECEMBER 9, 2019·READING TIME: 5 MINUTES
    We encourage all of our followers to please read the following press release with care.
    Please direct message us with any further questions, our customer care hours are Monday – Friday: 8am – 7pm AEST. Please be conscious that due to a high volume of messages, it may take our team a little longer to respond, but we will endeavour to respond to every direct message.

Holden is today announcing a modified portfolio dedicated exclusively to SUVs and light commercial vehicles.
    Holden Interim Chairman and Managing Director, Kristian Aquilina, said the focus of the portfolio was consistent with customer preferences, with the Acadia, Trailblazer, Equinox and Trax rounding out a comprehensive SUV portfolio; and the Colorado tackling rivals in the light commercial vehicle (LCV) segment.
    “Holden is taking this decisive action to ensure a sharp focus on the largest and most buoyant market segments.
    “So far this year SUVs and Utes have increased to 76 percent of Holden sales, a trend we only see continuing,” he said.
    The company has elected to retire the ZB Commodore and the BK Astra in 2020.
    At its peak, the large car segment in Australia accounted for 217,882 sales in 1998. This year it is projected to come in at about 8,700 units.
    The large passenger car segment declined by over 87 percent between October 2013 and October this year, with private buyers in the segment down by 93 percent in that period.
    “The SUV segment is approaching half a million units, and LCVs over 200,000 units. That’s where the action is and that’s where we are going to play,” Mr Aquilina said.
    The new Holden boss also paid tribute to the Commodore nameplate and its place in the Australian automotive industry over time.
    “The decision to retire the Commodore nameplate has not been taken lightly by those who understand and acknowledge its proud heritage,” he said.
    “The large sedan was the cornerstone of Australian and New Zealand roads for decades. But now with more choice than ever before, customers are displaying a strong preference for the high driving position, functionality and versatility of SUVs and Utes.”
    Sales and deliveries of Commodore and Astra will continue through 2020, albeit with diminishing model availability as part of an orderly runout.
    Existing Commodore and Astra customers can be assured that Holden will continue to back warranty and roadside assistance commitments, with spare parts supply guaranteed well into the future.
    In addition, all MY19 ZB Commodores and MY19 BK Astras ordered or delivered from today onwards will be subject to Holden’s market-leading seven-year free scheduled servicing offer.
    All arrangements for accessing warranty, servicing and spare parts for Holden’s entire model line-up via the Holden’s national dealer network remain the same.
    Holden will be launching the MY20 Equinox in the first quarter of 2020 followed by a significant MY21 upgrade to the highly regarded Colorado to launch in Spring. Holden will also lodge production orders to GM’s Bowling Green factory for the highly anticipated mid-engine right-hand-drive Corvette next year.
    Will Holden still honour the warranty on my new Commodore (or Astra)?
    Yes, Holden will of course honour the warranty on your new Commodore, and we will ensure the supply of spare parts for it as well. All arrangements for warranty, servicing and spare parts for both ZB Commodore and BK Astra via the Holden’s national dealer network remain the same.
    How will I get my Commodore (or Astra) serviced now Holden is closing?
    Holden is not closing, and you will still be able to get your Commodore (or Astra) serviced at your local Holden dealer. We are launching updated models next year. Holden is here for the long term.

Does Holden really have a future in Australia without the Commodore?
    Holden is much more than any individual nameplate no matter how successful it may have been. With our design and engineering capabilities and long history in this country we are well placed to improve the drive for everyday Australians.
    Holden will be launching an MY20 Equinox in the first quarter of 2020 followed by a significant MY21 upgrade to the highly regarded Colorado to launch in Spring. Holden will also lodge production orders to GM’s Bowling Green factory for the much anticipated mid- engine right-hand-drive Corvette next year.
    Why have you discontinued the Commodore?
    The large passenger car segment declined by over 87% between October 2013 and October this year. That along with unfavourable currency exchange rates means that Commodore is no longer a viable proposition for Holden.
    Why have you discontinued the Astra?
    The Astra is an excellent vehicle but the Australian car market has changed and it is no longer a volume proposition for us. Significant investment is required now to remain in this segment beyond next year, and we cannot see a future where we compete profitably with a small car out of Europe.
    Can I still buy a Commodore (or Astra)?
    At the moment, yes, your local Holden dealer will very likely have various Commodore (or Astra) models in stock, and if not, they can order most models from us. Stocks will run out in the coming months.
    What does this mean for the future of Holden in Supercar racing?
    Holden recently re-committed to racing in Supercars through until the end of 2021, and that will happen with the currently homologated ZB Commodore race car. Racing is a strong part of Holden’s brand identity and we will assess our options as Supercars continues to evolve its rules for the next generation of cars currently due to be introduced in 2022.
    If, after reading this information you still have questions, we encourage you to contact us further via direct message.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Ding dong the witch is dead. Commodore officially discontinued.

CONFIRMED: Holden Commodore axed! Iconic nameplate to disappear as brand focuses on SUVs and utes

The slow-selling Holden Commodore has been axed from the Australian lineup, with the iconic nameplate to finally disappear as Holden turns its attention to utes and SUVs. The Astra has also been axed, with Holden confirming that the remaining vehicles in Australia are now in run-out and that updated models will not replace them.

Holden's Interim Chairman and Managing Director, Kristian Aquilina, says the brand will instead focus on what it sees as a growth market in Australia. And that means utes and SUVs, with the Commodore and Astra set to be scrapped.

“Holden is taking this decisive action to ensure a sharp focus on the largest and most buoyant market segments. So far this year SUVs and Utes have increased to 76 percent of Holden sales, a trend we only see continuing,” Aquilina says.

The decision means 2019 marks the final resting place for one of Australia's most iconic nameplates, with the Commodore attached to Holden's most popular - and most Australian-focused - model since 1978. It also comes two years after Holden's local manufacturing business, based South Australia, ground to a halt.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-new...es-on-suvs-and

2018-Holden-Commodore-sedan-white-1001x565p.jpg

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 VF Calais Regal Peacock

Re: Ding dong the witch is dead. Commodore officially discontinued.

Sigh, a matter of time, but still disappointed by the whole thing
    When will Caddy give me a chance to buy one?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,370 Times in 1,825 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Re: Holden announces exclusive SUV and Ute line-up

No surprise there.

Walking
    Thanks

TBH, a lot of SUV's are quite nice to drive. Nice suspension, AWD, bigger engines, decent handling... All **** you'd like to see in a similar sedan except they don't make it because.... Reasons? "It totally wouldn't sell, trust us".

Thanks
    Thanked 1,759 Times in 870 Posts

Meh...It died a few years ago when it became nothing but an Opel Insignia with a Holden badge.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 tripowergto Jan2003's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,142 Times in 470 Posts

"Holden is today announcing a modified portfolio dedicated exclusively to SUVs and light commercial vehicles."

I believe the Corvette is still considered an actual CAR. Perhaps it would sell even better if they labeled it a crossover to meet Holden's new mantra.
    2018 Hot Wheels 2SS Camaro Conv ~ 2016 2LT Corvette 7spd ~ 2017 Camaro RS V6 6spd ~ 2014 Chevy Volt(traded) ~ 2009 Pontiac G8 GT ~ 2002 Firebird Formula 6spd

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by tripowergto Jan2003 View Post
    "Holden is today announcing a modified portfolio dedicated exclusively to SUVs and light commercial vehicles."

I believe the Corvette is still considered an actual CAR. Perhaps it would sell even better if they labeled it a crossover to meet Holden's new mantra.
    Corvette won't be sold as a Holden - it'll be "branded" just as Corvette in Australia.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 tripowergto Jan2003's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,142 Times in 470 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    Corvette won't be sold as a Holden - it'll be "branded" just as Corvette in Australia.
    Yet, sold at Holden dealers, correct?
    2018 Hot Wheels 2SS Camaro Conv ~ 2016 2LT Corvette 7spd ~ 2017 Camaro RS V6 6spd ~ 2014 Chevy Volt(traded) ~ 2009 Pontiac G8 GT ~ 2002 Firebird Formula 6spd

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,749 Times in 1,249 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

on the surface this SUXS BUT I believe this is a GOOD thing
    first hopefully people can "move on" from the FWD Commodore is CR*P VS the "AUS RWD" version - it will NEVER COME BACK
    secondly without the "drag" of the Commie maybe they will "focus" on products that HAVE A CHANCE in the market - they say a NEW Colorado for 2021 and updated EQuinox for 2020

Thanks
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    on the surface this SUXS BUT I believe this is a GOOD thing
    first hopefully people can "move on" from the FWD Commodore is CR*P VS the "AUS RWD" version - it will NEVER COME BACK
    secondly without the "drag" of the Commie maybe they will "focus" on products that HAVE A CHANCE in the market - they say a NEW Colorado for 2021 and updated EQuinox for 2020
    I always said it should just have been badged as Holden Insignia - it wouldn't have made the car any better but it would have avoided all the nostagic comparisons - and left less bitterness at this pont.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (12-10-2019)

Thanks

So....what's the point of Holden again?
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Banned
    Thanks
    So Holden is GMC now?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Self Reliance View Post
    So Holden is GMC now?
    Except Corvette which wont be a Chevy....just a Corvette. Which is good because it sorta puts the whole brand v model debate to bed. It shows that GM thinks globally that the Corvette brand/name can stand on its own.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,065 Times in 1,334 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    So....what's the point of Holden again?
    Whats the point of many of GM's brands?

I get what you're saying but seriously GM really screwed up royally

They were warned by many of us on this forum (and we're the ones with information to make a rational case) and all the public who told them if you pull out of Australia you will pay

And pay they have
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

19. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information