Former Holden exec to mastermind GMSV deal

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Former Holden exec to mastermind GMSV deal

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty

By Bruce Newton, 05 May 2020 News

Details have emerged about how the new GMSV venture will be formed in Australia

As revealed last week, GM and the Walkinshaw Group, the parent of Holden Special Vehicles, are deep in negotiation to finalise an agreement that will result in selected North American-built Chev models converted to right-hand drive in Melbourne for local sale.

Wheels understands Holden veteran Peter ‘PK’ Keley is leading the GM investigation into what is referred to as GM Specialty Vehicles (GMSV) and may also end up leading the new venture. Keley refused to comment on the matter when contacted.

Keley’s been a senior player at Holden from the glory days of the Zeta global architecture, right through to the dismal final stanza as an importer.

Passionate and personable, he even owns a HSV GTSR W1 (as well as a WB Caprice and a Monaro GTS 308 V8 coupe).

Former Holden and current GM president Mark Reuss voiced his support for the new business model in the press release that announced Holden’s death in February.

“We do believe we have an opportunity to profitably grow the specialty vehicle business and plan to work with our partner to do that,” he was quoted as saying.

Wheels understands three possible business structures exist for the new venture.

Read more HERE

Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 Camaro/Now on hold. :(

Re: Former Holden exec to mastermind GMSV deal

As much as I would like to see you guys get a bit more variety I just don't see any of the scenarios as economically feasible. For either country. Add in the ill will GM has accumulated in Australia and it becomes even less feasible.

I don't know if it's been tried or not but partially assembled vehicles shipped without unneeded left hand components should save some on disassembly/assembly costs. If GM is really serious they could also make some of the major RH components to ship with the vehicles. I don't see that happening.

That's all I've got.
    It sounded pretty good until I actually said it.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IROCNROL1 For This Useful Post:

CadillacSA (05-14-2020),chinamonty (05-15-2020),mikmak (05-14-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,498 Times in 4,145 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Killing Holden was a mistake mother made. It shouldn't have happened

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

Col Klink (05-17-2020)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Killing Holden was a mistake mother made. It shouldn't have happened
    Perhaps, but as much as consumers expressed their loyalty Holden simply wasn't selling. It takes two.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by IROCNROL1 View Post
    Perhaps, but as much as consumers expressed their loyalty Holden simply wasn't selling. It takes two.
    Yeah, in the end, Ausies rejected their heritage in droves

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,641 Times in 1,642 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Once you take away what is a Holden and replace it with something else

Well who can blame anyone for walking away

Ford was doing not much better in Australia sales wise for ages but because Ford had a steady stream of RHD vehicles to choose from they continued

30 other brands sell less than what Holden was offering up each month but again they sell RHD elsewhere

GM is the only brand that I know of that gives up and runs away from markets that are too hard (in their own mind) to sell in
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

11. The Following User Says Thank You to VS Ute 5Litre For This Useful Post:

Citation84 (05-29-2020)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,158 Times in 2,657 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    Leading up to Holden's demise began with a change of government with an agenda of slashing financial support to the car industry and almost literally daring Holden to leave by asking them to come clean on future plans. Well ScoMoFo got his answer with closure of local production, anyone with a brain knew that Holden was mortally wounded and no surprise, buyers deserted the brand in droves once the local Commodore was no more.

How ironic it is to see the same mean spirited politician now leading the country in the middle of a pandemic throwing out $160 billion in government support to prevent collapse of business and people's livelihoods.
    Last edited by jpd80; 05-13-2020 at 05:01 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

V-Car (05-14-2020)

GMI Australia Correspondent Premium Member mikmak's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Piece of **** Subie Liberty

I think you'll find, what happened was, Holden changed it's core product which was the *ahem* lions share of Monthly sales and tried to charge the faithful for the privelege.

That's why you can get a $61k AWD V6 wagon with full leather and all the bells and whistles, with less than 20,000 kms on the clock, for less than 30k.

You'll also find that the dingleberry who championed that approach, no longer works for GM. He's now an "independent consultant".

To some extent, you are accurate though. The political and public fight was not pretty.

Still, people want trucks (for some reason) and a Tahoe might even be a suitable Mine supervisor's/VIP vehicle in addition to NQ Tradies family hauler.
    Evil begets evil Mr. President. Shooting will only make it stronger.

Hidden Content

Follow me on Hidden Content
    I'm on the YOUTUBES! Hidden Content

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mikmak For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (05-14-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    HQ Holden 1974 Saffron Metalic

Not quite, we rejected what GM did with that heritage.

The heritage was Australian built RWD vehicles for the most part, not the FWD/AWD European built car that GM tried to convince us was part of that heritage.
    Current rides
    2011 Calais V Sportwagon 6.0
    2020 Trax LS
    1974 HQ Holden 308 V8

Hidden Content

17. The Following User Says Thank You to hq308 For This Useful Post:

mikmak (05-13-2020)

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Holden Commodore VE SV6

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    Well ScoMoFo got his answer with closure of local production, anyone with a brain knew that Holden was mortally wounded and no surprise, buyers deserted the brand in droves once the local Commodore was no more.

How ironic it is to see the same mean spirited politician now leading the country in the middle of a pandemic throwing out $160 billion in government support to prevent collapse of business and people's livelihoods.

ScoMo was minister for Immigration and Border Protection when Holden announced they were shutting local production. Joe Hockey (then treasurer) was the one who dared GM to leave, and they did. The muppet did such a good job that he lasted 2 years before racking off to the US. Abbott was a muppet too for that matter, didn't give a rats ass about local production or jobs.

One question I've got is, will GM still want to bother selling cars here post-COVID? Especially with the way the US economy is going and their rising infection numbers.
    Current Garage:

- 1998 Holden VT Commodore 50th Anniversary Wagon
    - 2000 Holden Jackaroo SE V6
    - 2001 Holden Jackaroo SE TD
    - 2012 Holden VEII Commodore SV6 (Ex-WAPOL TE 205)

RIP Holden 1948 - 2017

“Do not let spacious plans for a new world divert your energies from saving what is left of the old.”
    - Sir Winston Churchill

19. The Following User Says Thank You to VT Family For This Useful Post:

IROCNROL1 (05-14-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    Once you take away what is a Holden and replace it with something else

Well who can blame anyone for walking away

Ford was doing not much better in Australia sales wise for ages but because Ford had a steady stream of RHD vehicles to choose from they continued

30 other brands sell less than what Holden was offering up each month but again they sell RHD elsewhere

GM is the only brand that I know of that gives up and runs away from markets that are too hard (in their own mind) to sell in
    I'll admit I'm not up on all the reasons for Holden's demise. Didn't the slide start well before GM tried the bait and switch though? Seems to me the usual suspects were dominating the market just like in the US. Even here, GM and Ford have essentially given up on everything except pickups, SUVs, and CUVs. High profit vehicles only because they simply can't compete with a full lineup. Right or wrong, this is the course they're taking.

I don't know if the course of action I suggested is viable or not but common sense says that the less you have to disassemble (and less parts you pay for and then discard) before converting to RHD the cheaper it would be. Also, if GM is really serious they could take some of the hit by making at least some of the conversion parts. Profitable? Not overly, but put a little money where your mouth is GM. I think they owe Holden fans at least that.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to IROCNROL1 For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (05-14-2020)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,641 Times in 1,642 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

I'll admit I'm not up on all the reasons for Holden's demise. Didn't the slide start well before GM tried the bait and switch though? Seems to me the usual suspects were dominating the market just like in the US. Even here, GM and Ford have essentially given up on everything except pickups, SUVs, and CUVs. High profit vehicles only because they simply can't compete with a full lineup. Right or wrong, this is the course they're taking.

I don't know if the course of action I suggested is viable or not but common sense says that the less you have to disassemble (and less parts you pay for and then discard) before converting to RHD the cheaper it would be. Also, if GM is really serious they could take some of the hit by making at least some of the conversion parts. Profitable? Not overly, but put a little money where your mouth is GM. I think they owe Holden fans at least that.
    Here's the thing

pretty much every time a thread is started about Holdens demise we have a couple of regular posters come in and start the "but Australians didnt buy Holden" posts

OK , so my counterpoint to that is there are 30 plus other manufacturers who sold less than Holden every month and they are still here

It's never been about pure sales it's been about Arrogance and pure incompetence from leadership in detroit

Some people just don't like it when the truth comes out about how their precious company is wrong
    The numbers don't lie - when Holden was left alone it thrived and built export markets and broke sales records

as soon as detroit stuck it's nose in those numbers plummeted

As to your point about building specific parts in RHD , well if they could do that in the first place the cars would leave the line that way and be sold all around the globe not just in a couple of corners of it
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VS Ute 5Litre For This Useful Post:

Col Klink (05-17-2020),hq308 (05-14-2020)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,158 Times in 2,657 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by VT Family View Post
    Well ScoMoFo got his answer with closure of local production, anyone with a brain knew that Holden was mortally wounded and no surprise, buyers deserted the brand in droves once the local Commodore was no more.

ScoMo was minister for Immigration and Border Protection when Holden announced they were shutting local production. Joe Hockey (then treasurer) was the one who dared GM to leave, and they did. The muppet did such a good job that he lasted 2 years before racking off to the US. Abbott was a muppet too for that matter, didn't give a rats ass about local production or jobs.

One question I've got is, will GM still want to bother selling cars here post-COVID? Especially with the way the US economy is going and their rising infection numbers.
    Sorry, got my Muppets mixed up, they all sing the same song in my books,
    GM is far from perfect but the one thing keeping them in Australia was the
    promise of coinvestment in new vehicles in return for the greater business
    activity in our community, something the conservative government doesn't value...

I think that GM is wrapping up business in RHD markets, sale of Thai plant
    confirms continued withdrawal from markets where GM can't justify a presence.
    I think it's all too hard for them and they just want North America and China.

Hats off to Ford for facing the truth in Europe and actually doing something
    about their problems and the flow on damage to markets like Australia.
    Last edited by jpd80; 05-14-2020 at 05:06 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,010 Times in 1,421 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Sorry, got my Muppets mixed up, they all sing the same song in my books,
    GM is far from perfect but the one thing keeping them in Australia was the
    promise of coinvestment in new vehicles in return for the greater business
    activity in our community, something the conservative government doesn't value...

I think that GM is wrapping up business in RHD markets, sale of Thai plant
    confirms continued withdrawal from markets where GM can't justify a presence.
    I think it's all too hard for them and they just want North America and China.

Hats off to Ford for facing the truth in Europe and actually doing something
    about their problems and the flow on damage to markets like Australia.
    IMHO Toyota and "friends" think global and design (almost) EVERYTHING to sell in EVERY MARKET then "personalize" it to the market VS the US makers designed for AMERICA and MODIFIED them to "fit" the should-be-like-America other markets which LOOKED like it would save money - making "wall ST" happy
    FORD saw the "error" of their ways and went with ONE ford but decided to use the LOWEST COST version to make the GLOBAL product from and tried to do too much to quickly

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    IMHO Toyota and "friends" think global and design (almost) EVERYTHING to sell in EVERY MARKET then "personalize" it to the market VS the US makers designed for AMERICA and MODIFIED them to "fit" the should-be-like-America other markets which LOOKED like it would save money - making "wall ST" happy
    FORD saw the "error" of their ways and went with ONE ford but decided to use the LOWEST COST version to make the GLOBAL product from and tried to do too much to quickly
    Truth is, Americans just do not know how to make third world rides, its not what they do.

This is a third world ride

This is an American ride

however when an American thinks of a fully loaded pick up truck, this is what they think off

Last edited by mbukukanyau; 05-14-2020 at 08:11 PM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

Ruperts Trooper (05-15-2020)

28. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information