Australian New Car Sales January - another record start, Holden squeaks back to third - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Australian New Car Sales January - another record start, Holden squeaks back to third

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Re: Australian New Car Sales January - another record start, Holden squeaks back to t

Quote Originally Posted by BBDOS CV8 View Post
    That will stymie GMIO, who probably has big plans for lots of NG sales......
    Define "lots".

I hear Holden keep reducing their target.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

Re: Australian New Car Sales January - another record start, Holden squeaks back to t

Quote Originally Posted by GolfBravo View Post
    Define "lots".

I hear Holden keep reducing their target.
    They're probably having a backlash from dealers based on lack of interest in Astra. The dirty old Cruze that everyone whinged and bitched about, even if it was revenue-neutral for Holden, suddenly looks like a complete winner in comparison.

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,515 Times in 2,295 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Well, I reckon if that's the case Holden will try to hold a big stockpile of VFs. That will stymie GMIO, who probably has big plans for lots of NG sales......

If GM sells Opel to PSA, that would still be several years away - but you have to say, uncertain times. You'd have to be worried if you were Holden - PSA would no doubt keep the existing lines at least for present. But it'd remove Holden from the process of next-gen versions.

I said a couple of years back, if Holden's future was questionable, Opel would have to be next on the chopping block, hasn't turned a profit in near-thirty years, and GM don't need them to develop new models anymore.
    Well if Opel/Vauxhall is on the chopping block, the deal may be don a lot sooner then we expect.
    I wonder if the deal then sticks as a continuing strategy for a predetermined time...

I mean, nothing has to change if those contracts are still honored..

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 series Captiva LX diesel

They're probably having a backlash from dealers based on lack of interest in Astra. The dirty old Cruze that everyone whinged and bitched about, even if it was revenue-neutral for Holden, suddenly looks like a complete winner in comparison.
    They copping backlash from everywhere, whether be closing the factory, replacing a large rwd car with a midsize fwd, keeping the commodore name instead of retiring it.
    I recon it's only going to get worse, some people already have the view that GM closed manufacturing here to prop up Opel and now the prospect of GM selling Opel is just a kick in guts.
    Look out I'm on twitter kts350
    3 on The Tree is back home Hidden Content

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kts3502.0 For This Useful Post:

Goob (02-17-2017)

Thanks

Well, I reckon if that's the case Holden will try to hold a big stockpile of VFs. That will stymie GMIO, who probably has big plans for lots of NG sales......

If GM sells Opel to PSA, that would still be several years away - but you have to say, uncertain times. You'd have to be worried if you were Holden - PSA would no doubt keep the existing lines at least for present. But it'd remove Holden from the process of next-gen versions.

I said a couple of years back, if Holden's future was questionable, Opel would have to be next on the chopping block, hasn't turned a profit in near-thirty years, and GM don't need them to develop new models anymore.
    Which might be why around 15 of the 20 new Holden vehicles remain under white sheets... they don't know what they are ... or where they're coming from.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AusCalais For This Useful Post:

kts3502.0 (02-16-2017)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by AusCalais View Post
    Which might be why around 15 of the 20 new Holden vehicles remain under white sheets... they don't know what they are ... or where they're coming from.
    Well, today Holden probably don't know that, either.......

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kts3502.0 View Post
    some people already have the view that GM closed manufacturing here to prop up Opel and now the prospect of GM selling Opel is just a kick in guts.
    German subsidies propped up Opel. No Aussie subsidies made the decision easy for RenCen. You can guess why the Germans are up in arms. Imagine if GM had done the same in Aus after getting funding from the Fed Govt. I reckon the Feds feel like they dodged a bullet...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steen View Post
    German subsidies propped up Opel. No Aussie subsidies made the decision easy for RenCen. You can guess why the Germans are up in arms. Imagine if GM had done the same in Aus after getting funding from the Fed Govt. I reckon the Feds feel like they dodged a bullet...
    Ummm, they were getting Federal funding up until 2019-20... but it wasn't enough obviously. After that who knows.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '06 Commodore VZ-II.

I wonder if this could lead to Holden and GM fast-tracking non-Opel vehicles such as Equinox and Acadia. They're not mid-sized liftbacks or station wagons, though...
    Now or never, GM. Give Holden good RHD cars, or give Holden to someone who will.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 series Captiva LX diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Goob View Post
    I wonder if this could lead to Holden and GM fast-tracking non-Opel vehicles such as Equinox and Acadia. They're not mid-sized liftbacks or station wagons, though...
    They need a proper SUV range now not in a year or twos time
    Look out I'm on twitter kts350
    3 on The Tree is back home Hidden Content

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kts3502.0 For This Useful Post:

hq308 (02-19-2017)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

There are some interesting articles in German Automobilwoche re: Opel's international expansion under PSA.

In summary::
    - according to PSA sources, PSA want to keep Opel's German plants
    - French PSA plants are covered by current union agreements, therefore they are safe for a few years
    - some factories will go very soon, but no forced redundancies this year
    - Peugeot want to launch Opel internationally together with Peugeot, Citroen and DS
    - the British government is to promise PSA to help Vauxhall with their EV development costs in return for no factory closures - little do they know Vauxhall have no engineering/RD in the UK
    - PSA is likely to significantly reduce white collar jobs at both Opel and Vauxhall

My guess is Vauxhall's Vivaro plant will go first, PSA don't need to prop up Renault's coffers. Is there a Vivaro equivalent at Peugeot? The Astra plant is likely to solder on until the next Astra launch.

So I guess Holden can say goodbye to any further cars from Opel beyond the current Astra and the new Commodore. The new flagship SUV probably won't happen, Holden will need to source the Buick equivalent instead (Enclave) provided GM can figure out how to implement RHD. The source for the next Barina will also need to change.

Holden are fcuked. But the more I think about it, the more sense this merger makes for Opel. At least they won't end up like Saab did.

By the looks of it Vauxhall is likely to join ranks with Holden by becoming only the second automotive brand without any factories.

Thanks
    My Ride
    VF Series 2: The Red Devil

Pity the Punch Group didn't get to buy Elizabeth. They have may had a buyer for their cars locally.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to AceRimmer For This Useful Post:

kts3502.0 (02-21-2017)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by GolfBravo View Post
    There are some interesting articles in German Automobilwoche re: Opel's international expansion under PSA.

In summary::
    I could have told you this a while ago. Vauxhall exists as a marketing vehicle for Opel, because it lets bigoted English people (the same ones who voted against their own interest for Brexit) believe they're not buying German cars. Like my uncle, who is convinced his Russelheim-built Vectra was made at Luton.

Once the charade of Opel as a small/medium car powerhouse for GM was exploded, so is it's future. That means, even less care in developing new cars for Holden, at least Opel had some track record making cars for our conditions.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by AceRimmer View Post
    Pity the Punch Group didn't get to buy Elizabeth. They have may had a buyer for their cars locally.
    More's the irony. The good PR from freeing Holden out from under GM would have given it a real kick, along with the exciting projects Holden would have had in the pipeline, most of them almost shovel-ready, like the Crewman, new Adventra. Holden could be making money, they could have been re-sourcing suppliers in Australia, attracting some state and federal interest. Instead, PSA is going to pick up a lame duck, and maybe make something out of it, maybe...

21. The Following User Says Thank You to BBDOS CV8 For This Useful Post:

kts3502.0 (02-20-2017)

Thanks
    My Ride
    Calias V Redline, Omega ute

The big question is whether GM retains either any or a controlling interest in Opel. I've seen reports suggesting both, and none.

If they do, I see little issue in platform sharing with PSA for large cars. PSA already exist in numerous RHD markets... why is the leap to platform sharing so hard to fathom?

Beyond that, why not the entire range? Why can't Astra and 208 exist on the same platform? And if GM has an active stake, why wouldn't that model co-exist in the Holden range?

I'm not sure I understand the panic and yet more tombstone engraving at this stage when little actual fact is known.

As for the rest of the range... GM has finally stated that RHD development must occur concurrently in all new and redeveloped platforms... so they either knew a clean cut was coming... or they're finally catching up with the rest of the world.

Model sharing with Buick hardly seems like the end of the world...

23. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information