Shanghai 2013: Chery Alpha 7 Concept

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Shanghai 2013: Chery Alpha 7 Concept

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ausrutherford's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus

Shanghai 2013: Chery Alpha 7 Concept

Chery Alpha 7 Concept unveiled before 2013 Auto Shanghai
    By Adrian Padeanu
    Apr 17, 2013
    WCF

Chery has unveiled last night the Alpha 7 Concept ahead of the car's debut scheduled for the end of the week at Auto Shanghai. As a reminder, they also released photos with the Beta 5 crossover concept.

It serves as a preview for the next-gen A4 (Chery, not Audi of course) and comes with Chery's new corporate logo which shows some similarities with Infiniti's logo. The Chinese brand says the concept adopts a new styling designed influenced by water and packs a new "intelligent vehicle entertainment and information system" known as "Cloud Drive" which will be linked to a cloud-based server.

Have sales for GM not seen in Hidden Content ? Hidden Content

Go Tigers!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 camaro_freak's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Shanghai 2013: Chery Alpha 7 Concept

hints of Audi and BMW in rear and profile... wow those wheels are BMW knock offs for sure just in a smaller scale - what are those 14s? lol

Front grille chrome framing at the top stinks of Lexus and the rectangle grille area looks like a Subaru

Chinese design at its finest...
    Hidden Content
    Check out my blog at: Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ausrutherford's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus

Quote Originally Posted by camaro_freak View Post
    hints of Audi and BMW in rear and profile... wow those wheels are BMW knock offs for sure just in a smaller scale - what are those 14s? lol

Front grille chrome framing at the top stinks of Lexus and the rectangle grille area looks like a Subaru

I was thinking Dodge Dart.
    Have sales for GM not seen in Hidden Content ? Hidden Content

Go Tigers!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
    I was thinking Dodge Dart.
    haha yes! I see that now too - well played
    Hidden Content

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

The front looks like an Accord.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '70 Camaro Z/28

Definitely read it as "Chevy Alpha 7 concept" on the home page, then became utterly disappointed once I was in the thread.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Ripoff, any way you slice it.

SX3
    Thanks

I see BMW in the rear. The front end shot made me think of an Impreza.

EDIT: Actually see SAAB in the front now.
    Last edited by SX3; 04-17-2013 at 09:16 PM.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 JeffInDFW's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    96 Viper GTS/11 MINI Cooper S

The worlds automakers are going to pay a horrible price for agreeing to "partner" with Chinese automakers in order to sell their cars in China. Look at these cars, and look at the Chinese cars from 5 years ago. They have come a long way in a short time because the worlds automakers have built plants and taught them how to do it. Of course, the Chinese stealing every piece of intellectual property they can find on site helps too.

Yes, under the improved (for China) styling I'm sure these cars are still pretty bad. But, I'm also sure they have seen 3 decades of improvement in just 5 years. 10 years from now, I really worry that the Chinese will have forced the worlds automakers out just like Chavez did to the oil companies in Venezuela. Then, the Chinese will start exporting tens of millions of half priced cars to the worlds markets. Unlike China, which protects its home grown industry, the US politicians will just stand there and smile. I sincerely hope I am wrong. What do you guys think will prevent this scenario from playing out???
    Toyota--The Official Vehicle of Terrorist Everywhere

Thanks

The Chinese do not have to "steal" anything. Most of today's cars - from styling through engineering, technology, electronic integration, drivetrains, aerodynamics, components, productionization etc. etc. is being done or can be done by suppliers, subcontractors or consultants.

Just like BMW can ask Giuggiaro to design a car for them, AVL to design an engine, Bosch to put in direct ignition, Lear to insert some nice seats and Johnson Controls to take care of safety features and Riccardo to manage the whole process, set up the factory and basically have the car made, so can a Chinese automaker.

This is not a matter of industrial espionage as much as the matter of how the automotive industry operates those days. What distinguishes top-brand cars is obviously the amount of high-quality content they put into it, and the quality of overall engineering and design. The first simply depends on budget. The second may be a proprietary competency and, as such, is rarely shared. If even the super-duper brand new product is being put into production in China, the Chinese will have an idea how to build one, but no idea how to arrive at the same product themselves. Most products that are results of copycatting or industrial espionage turn out ridiclous, unsafe and of questionable qualities.

What is important for the future is that modern-looking, quality-built cars will be arriving from many brands, and most technological advances will be spreading like wildfire as the suppliers want to make money on them. What will matter is the overall prowess in putting together BRILLIANT (and not just average, so-so and only "just") cars and brand equity.

I am very afraid for GM - they seem to be satisfied by making cars that anybody else with a budget and some experience could build, there is very little brilliance and uniqueness in them still. Moreover, their brands are still very weak and lack identity and uniqueness, there is very little emotional appeal in them. Neither is like Saab, MINI or Alfa Romeo.

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by camaro_freak View Post

Your right! I just noticed that their wheels and tyres are round too! Oh yeah and Chinese coins are round and their bank notes are rectangular -just like ours and heh just like yours. Get over it - at least it is not a direct copy of something and that is a pleasant change.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chinamonty View Post
    Your right! I just noticed that their wheels and tyres are round too! Oh yeah and Chinese coins are round and their bank notes are rectangular -just like ours and heh just like yours. Get over it - at least it is not a direct copy of something and that is a pleasant change.
    someone has their gears in a grind today - easy on the petrol there buddy... lol
    Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bravada View Post
    The Chinese do not have to "steal" anything. Most of today's cars - from styling through engineering, technology, electronic integration, drivetrains, aerodynamics, components, productionization etc. etc. is being done or can be done by suppliers, subcontractors or consultants.
    What you say is true to an extent. The "body-in-white" is still mostly an exception to that rule.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GM-10 View Post
    What you say is true to an extent. The "body-in-white" is still mostly an exception to that rule.
    Mostly, but FWIK Riccardo would do it for you if you asked, I believe Pininfarina as well and Bertone did too.

Thanks

The Chery Alpha 7 is not to be confused with the Ceti Alpha 5 which is what Khan drives...
    Hidden Content
    -Mr. Mike-
    1992 25th Anniversary TIE1-ON-Z28, HSR 355, Comp Cam, Vig STC, forged internals, Pro-Built 700R4, Hotchkis SFC's, Hooker LT's to twin Dynomax Ultra-Flo's, etc. Old X-Muffler: Hidden Content New Twin Dynomax Ultra Flo's: Hidden Content

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information