One Of A Kind Cadillac Military Sport Roadster Fetches $100,000 At Inn Of St. Johns

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: One Of A Kind Cadillac Military Sport Roadster Fetches $100,000 At Inn Of St. Johns

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member GMfan1111's Avatar
    in a undisclosed bunker somewhere in the metro detroit area
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

One Of A Kind Cadillac Military Sport Roadster Fetches $100,000 At Inn Of St. Johns

One Of A Kind Cadillac Military Sport Roadster Fetches $100,000 At RM Inn Of St.Johns Auction
    Schutte Bodied Cadillac Roadster Showcases A Unique Piece of Cadillac History
    www.gminsidenews.com
    July 27, 2013
    By: Carl Malek

Cadillac has always had an illustrious history that has been weaved with iconic vehicles such as the Cadillac V-16 lineup, the Series 62, as well as the 1959 El Dorado convertible. However at the 2013 RM St. John Auction in Plymouth Michigan, a more obscure Cadillac would grace the stage and impress bidders with its own unqiue history. Owned by the same family for an impressive 98 years, this 1914 Cadillac Model 30 Military Sport Roadster by Schutte not only impressed bidders with the results of its recent full restoration, but also its distinction as the only Cadillac equipped with a Schutte Military Sport body.

First introduced in 1909, the Model 30 was equipped with a 6.0 liter straight-four engine which was good for a modest 40-50 horsepower (not bad figures for a pre WW1 vehicle). This particular example originally started life as a roadster, but that changed sometime between 1917-1919 when its new Schutte Military Sport body was installed. Founded by Charles Schutte, the small coach-building company was based in Lancaster Pennsylvania and would soon gain a reputation for the exceptional level of craftsmanship and innovative design that went into every body that they designed. One of these was the "Military Sport" which gained its patriotic nickname because it was not only popular with Military officers during WWI, but its basic design and limited use of building materials embodied the patriotic spirit of the post WWI period. Despite its basic upbringings and layout, the Military Sport still offered owners a host of standard equipment including a big trunk and an equally large cabin (both items normally absent from a pure roadster).

After the installation of the Schutte body, the car was bought by its first owner in 1927 and managed to stay in that owners family for 98 years before it was bought by the seller and subsequently restored. While its gavel price of $100,000 (taxes and other fees not included) was below its $125,000 - $175,000 estimate, it should be a highlight piece at future car shows and continue to serve as a key piece of Cadillac and Schutte history.

Stay tuned to GMI for more highlights from this years auction as well as live coverage from the 2013 Concours d'Elegance of America.
    Last edited by GMfan1111; 07-27-2013 at 10:58 PM.
    “The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair”

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools".
    - Douglas Adams -

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,335 Times in 4,568 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: One Of A Kind Cadillac Military Sport Roadster Fetches $100,000 At Inn Of St. Joh

"....but its basic design and limited use of building materials."

Very cool! Love those old cars. Amazing - a 6 liter 4 cylinder!!!!

Does anyone know what they mean by "limited use of building materials"?
    Last edited by GMfan1111; 07-28-2013 at 07:36 AM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Re: One Of A Kind Cadillac Military Sport Roadster Fetches $100,000 At Inn Of St. Joh

That's a cool car with a cool history!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 rockyspaw's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 526 Posts
    My Ride
    09 G6 GXP 05 Rainier 81 Vette

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I imagine it had something to do with the rationing of raw materials "for the war effort" and the limited/economical use of those materials in constructing this body.
    I wish they all could be California squirrels!
    Past Rides: 2003 Grand Am GT1 (saved me), 1995 Bonneville SLE (RIP), 1986 635 CSi, 1984 Estate Wagon, 1978 Malibu Classic, 1978 Corvette, 1975 Vega Kammback (Miss ya'), 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger (STFU...it got me there!)

"Nothing happens until something happens then everything happens!"

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Evo69's Avatar
    Thanks

Read about how Pershing used Cadillacs on the Mexican border hunting Pancho Villa. Could be one of those. Cadillac had already developed a reputation for reliability and parts interchangeability, which maybe why the US Army used them.
    Hidden Content
    I find it sad that some people wish for GM to fail and can't comprehend any good news. A plausible explanation for this kind of behavior is that you have a miserable life so you wish the same to others. Cory Pham, Autoblog Poster

GM must return its divisions to being interdependent entities within the corporation. Decentralize and free the different divisions talents to foster brand differentiation and customer loyalty.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 Chevy HHR LS

Quote Originally Posted by GMfan1111 View Post
    After the installation of the Schutte body, the car was bought by its first owner in 1927 and managed to stay in that owners family for 98 years before it was bought by the seller and subsequently restored.
    My grandmother was born in 1927, and she isn't 98...

It said the body was installed in 1917, does that mean it sat in a showroom for a decade?
    Better Cars Have Been Built...Buick, is Finally Building Them!

Current Rides:
    2010 GMC Acadia AWD SLT

Past Rides:
    1963 Buick Special w/ 198 Fireball V6 (The First Gen of the Buick V6 aka 3800)
    2008 Pontiac G8

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Buick City View Post
    My grandmother was born in 1927, and she isn't 98...

It said the body was installed in 1917, does that mean it sat in a showroom for a decade?
    I'm a little confused by that as well, but I was thinking the car was bought by Schutte, converted over a period of many years and then sold to the original owner in 1927. I'm thinking that Schutte isn't considered the original owner as they bought the car with the intent to convert and sell to the public.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,770 Times in 5,645 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    "....but its basic design and limited use of building materials."

Very cool! Love those old cars. Amazing - a 6 liter 4 cylinder!!!!

Limited use of building materials to preserve as many resources as possible for the war effort, I would think.

Think the metal that went into it could have been used elsewhere.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member GMfan1111's Avatar
    in a undisclosed bunker somewhere in the metro detroit area
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    Limited use of building materials to preserve as many resources as possible for the war effort, I would think.

Think the metal that went into it could have been used elsewhere.

yea you saw that same mindset take root once more during WWII and the car itself was a treat to see and the restoration was superb
    “The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair”

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools".
    - Douglas Adams -

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride

yea you saw that same mindset take root once more during WWII and the car itself was a treat to see and the restoration was superb
    As my grandmother, born 1901, used to say "waste not, want not".

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

very cool!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,749 Times in 2,430 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Wow. what a beauty.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC the_smurf2008's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Camaro

One Of A Kind Cadillac Military Sport Roadster Fetches $100,000 At RM Inn Of St.Johns Auction
    Schutte Bodied Cadillac Roadster Showcases A Unique Piece of Cadillac History
    www.gminsidenews.com
    July 27, 2013
    By: Carl Malek

Cadillac has always had an illustrious history that has been weaved with iconic vehicles such as the Cadillac V-16 lineup, the Series 62, as well as the 1959 El Dorado convertible. However at the 2013 RM St. John Auction in Plymouth Michigan, a more obscure Cadillac would grace the stage and impress bidders with its own unqiue history. Owned by the same family for an impressive 98 years, this 1914 Cadillac Model 30 Military Sport Roadster by Schutte not only impressed bidders with the results of its recent full restoration, but also its distinction as the only Cadillac equipped with a Schutte Military Sport body.

First introduced in 1909, the Model 30 was equipped with a 6.0 liter straight-four engine which was good for a modest 40-50 horsepower (not bad figures for a pre WW1 vehicle). This particular example originally started life as a roadster, but that changed sometime between 1917-1919 when its new Schutte Military Sport body was installed. Founded by Charles Schutte, the small coach-building company was based in Lancaster Pennsylvania and would soon gain a reputation for the exceptional level of craftsmanship and innovative design that went into every body that they designed. One of these was the "Military Sport" which gained its patriotic nickname because it was not only popular with Military officers during WWI, but its basic design and limited use of building materials embodied the patriotic spirit of the post WWI period. Despite its basic upbringings and layout, the Military Sport still offered owners a host of standard equipment including a big trunk and an equally large cabin (both items normally absent from a pure roadster).

After the installation of the Schutte body, the car was bought by its first owner in 1927 and managed to stay in that owners family for 98 years before it was bought by the seller and subsequently restored. While its gavel price of $100,000 (taxes and other fees not included) was below its $125,000 - $175,000 estimate, it should be a highlight piece at future car shows and continue to serve as a key piece of Cadillac and Schutte history.

Stay tuned to GMI for more highlights from this years auction as well as live coverage from the 2013 Concours d'Elegance of America.
    One could say that this is one of the first "jeep" style bodies, for a vehicle, used by the US Military. This would be the "CJ" (civilian jeep ) version.
    (FYI I think Pershing used a four door phaeton.)
    Last edited by the_smurf2008; 07-29-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Thanks

How odd to think of you have an aftermarket body installed to/in your car...

I guess this was the first allroad version of a car, but sold as an aftermarket option. Cool!
    Last edited by 70eldo; 07-31-2013 at 06:23 AM.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information