NAIAS Coverage: Ford Explorer Sport Trac concept

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NAIAS Coverage: Ford Explorer Sport Trac concept

Administrator Premium Member Rex Raider's Avatar
    Thanks

NAIAS Coverage: Ford Explorer Sport Trac concept

Trac Attack: Ford's Explorer Sport Trac to get concept makeover for Detroit show
    Posted Date: 12/2/04
    Ford’s Explorer Sport Trac is getting an extreme makeover, and the automaker will show off the results at the 2005 Detroit auto show in January when it debuts a concept version of its quirky, half-truck, half-SUV.

The Sport Trac concept grows both in the interior and in the cargo bed over the existing Explorer Sport Trac, which debuted in 2001. Power is delivered via a tuned version of Ford’s 4.6-liter V8 and it will ride on a version of the company’s newest Explorer platform that rolled out in 2003, with its independent rear suspension setup. It will also be equipped with the automaker’s exclusive Roll Stability Control system. Ford officials have hinted that the concept signals the Sport Trac, once headed for the chopping block, will remain in the lineup.

The concept’s body is dressed up with polished aluminum accents on the upper and lower grille, fog lamps and exhaust tips. Custom Goodyear rubber wraps around the bling-bling, 21-inch ten-spoke aluminum rims. The door handles have been shaved off, leaving them to open with the flip of a key fob. Side and hood air inlets and wraparound taillamps add to the vehicle’s cachet.

“We wanted the Explorer Sport Trac concept to turn heads and to give it ‘street cred’,” said J Mays, Ford’s global design chief. “This concept is as at home in an urban environment as it is hauling surf boards to the beach. Versatility is – and will continue to be – what Sport Trac is all about.”

The Sport Trac concept is nearly five inches longer, two inches wider and sits two inches lower than the current model, and its cargo bed is about 30 percent bigger. The four bucket captain’s chairs are separated by a front and rear center console, and the interior’s two-tone color palette is present throughout the cabin. The look is finished with polished aluminum touches on the air vents, instrument binnacle and floor-mounted shifter.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 giagastormer's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: NAIAS Coverage: Ford Explorer Sport Trac concept

The exterior is ok, but the interior is horrific.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 montess2k's Avatar
    Thanks

Not a fan of Ford, Nor am I a fan of trucks but I do like this one alot. It looks really good IMO. I wonder what the possibility of this being made is (Just like that no changes LOL)

Joe

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Administrator Premium Member Rex Raider's Avatar
    Thanks

The one thing for sure I can't imagine becoming a reality is the lack of door handles.
    I'm sure it will get more pronounced bumpers as well.

Thanks

So with J Mays coming from Audi, Ford is mimicing the A6 exterior for the 500 sedan, and is now duplicating the VW/Audi big-mouth fascia.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 montess2k's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah gotta agree with you on the door handles Rex I knew something was missing LOL. The wheels will probably be smaller. Is that a navigation unit in there looks like it is...looks nice though I would like have the vents in the center on top...it's the little things that get me.LOL

Joe

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 jro4566's Avatar
    Thanks

I like it, and would definitely buy one over the Ridgeline. The only things I would change would be to take out the SPORT TRAC logo off of the dashboard and change the steering wheel.

2007 BMW 328i. Black sapphire metallic. Terra leather. Poplar wood. Automatic trans. Xenon adaptive headlights. BMW Assist. Bluetooth. Premium package. Heated seats. iDrive navigation system. Rear sonar. Comfort access. LOGIC7 surround sound. Sirius. 18" BMW wheels. Rear spoiler.

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara Luxury. Black onyx pearl. Beige leather. 4WD. Chrome hood vents, mirror covers, exhaust. Silver grille, taillight trim. Brushed metal bumper protector. Running boards.

Thanks

Yuck!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 AdmiralViscen's Avatar
    Thanks

It's going to get raised a bit, too. Prepare yourselves, Zephyr-haters.
    Hidden Content
    God Bless the Blue Bullet.

Thanks

Ford is back so forget about what you were planning toyota. I think this thing is pretty cool. Hopefully Ford does this future looking theme to all there Trucks.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 ElmerMCR's Avatar
    Thanks

Sigh.....This really saddens me inside my heart..(maybe I am a little too emotional lol), but the new Sport Trac's exterior is terrible. The current Sport Trac is my second favorite vehicle and I would love to have one. The exterior on the current ST is flawless to me. It just seems near perfection and was the first of its kind and still remains best IMO. The interior on the new ST looks grear. Looks like a high step up in design and layout as well as material quality. The only this I do not like about the interioer is the floor shifter. HellOo?!?! This is a TRUCK!, but to each his own I suppose. The exterior look way out of proportion or the side and rear. The tail lights look horrific and I realy wish they could've kept the current ones which I enjoy. The front on the new ST look terrific.

All in all this is a good attemp to make a great vehicle better than is already is. Me personally I prefer the current one, but this will defnently sell and I really enjoy Ford's new interiors and their new designs of their new cars for the most part, except the new Focus and this. My mind may change when I see one in person, though that I seriously doubt....Something just isn't right about the exterior of the new Sport Trac, but I just can't dierectly pin point everything wrong about it.....

Thanks

The Sport Trac concept looks ugly. Thumbs down. It seems like Ford is trying to go in the direction of their highly-successful new F-150, but it really doesn't work.

Thanks

Very cool.

I hope it's not a tease. The Ranger needs an update, guys. This would be a solid score.

Thanks

The "old" SportTrac always reminds me of a Wells-Fargo Stage coach with a big ol' box strapped to the back.

This one looks better, but functional? I guess. Something I'd buy? No....but Each to their own.

But, my crystal ball sees blue Shelby stripes over that hood and roof very soon...
    I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick ***...and I'm all out of gum.....
    Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 FoMoCo Fan's Avatar
    Thanks

You're looking at a thinly disguised 06 Explorer. Looks nice now, but like the Zephyr, be prepared for higher ride height, door handles, different ground effects, different wheels, and I doubt the chrome grille piece will dip over the bumper and below, into the lower fascia like the Audis. I think it's a nice improvment for an already good looking SUV. And why should a truck have a steering column mounted shifter? I learned to drive on old trucks with floor shifters, not some fancy automatics. And if the truck is going to have a console - why not have a floor mounted shifter? It seems to be working in the F150.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information