NAIAS Coverage: Chevrolet Impala

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: NAIAS Coverage: Chevrolet Impala

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member Rex Raider's Avatar
    Thanks

NAIAS Coverage: Chevrolet Impala

The All-new 2006 Chevrolet Impala
    High-Resolution images here: https://www.gminsidenews.com/gallery/...s.php?album=32

LOS ANGELES – Quiet strength exemplifies the new 2006 Chevy Impala and Monte Carlo – an inherited attribute that is blended into premium mid-car vehicles that offer stylish design, stirring performance and surprising details, including available V-8 power.

Chevrolet unveiled the 2006 Impala and Monte Carlo at the 2005 Greater Los Angeles Auto Show. The vehicles enter the hotly contested mid-car segment with enhanced premium-quality features and attention to detail, including an innovative flip-and-fold rear seat in the Impala, and revised suspension systems that deliver comfortable, quiet and more confident ride and handling characteristics. These new ingredients improve on an already popular recipe for driving satisfaction.

“The ’06 Impala and Monte Carlo deliver more of what customers want from a large sedan or coupe – uncompromising roominess, but with the performance and styling of a sports car,” said Brent Dewar, Chevrolet general manager. “Mid-car represents the largest segment of the industry, and the ’06 Impala and Monte Carlo will continue Chevy’s leadership there.”

Both vehicles hold unique positions in the market. Impala is an unqualified success, with more than 1 million sales since its 1999 debut and market share increases from 2 percent in ’99 to 8 percent through 2003. The Monte Carlo draws on a rich NASCAR racing legacy to offer one of the industry’s only true mid-size personal coupes. Each vehicle carries strong heritage, too, with the Monte Carlo nameplate introduced in 1970 and the Impala introduced in 1958.

Standard and available safety features include ABS, traction control, side-curtain roof rail air bags on Impala, and available seat-mounted side air bags for Monte Carlo . A new family of high-tech V-6 engines, which features cam phasing to optimize performance and economy, is standard in both vehicles, with the base models receiving a new 3.5L V-6 that produces 210 (156 kw) horsepower and 220 lb.-ft. (304 Nm) of torque. Uplevel models are available with a 240-horsepower (179 kw) 3.9L V-6 built on the same architecture as the 3.5L engine.

Impala SS and Monte Carlo SS receive the new LS4 5.3L V-8 with Displacement On Demand (DOD) technology to regulate between eight-cylinder and four-cylinder operation – providing up to 12 percent improved fuel economy in certain light-load driving conditions. The 5.3L V-8 produces 303 horsepower (226 kw) and 323 lb.-ft. (438 Nm) of torque.

The 2006 models hold up the vehicles’ legacies of performance, style and personal touches, including:
    • 3.5L and 3.9L V-6 engines
    • Return of the small-block V-8 with the LS4 5.3L with DOD technology in Impala SS and Monte Carlo SS
    • Retuned suspensions with wider track, providing sporty, more comfortable ride
    • New family of 16-inch, 17-inch and 18-inch wheels and tires
    • Enhanced ABS and traction control
    • Comfortable interiors with high-quality attention to detail, including improved seat upholstery stitching, low-gloss IP components and jewel-like IP details
    • High-quality Nuance Sandstone leather seating (available)
    • New family of audio systems
    • Side-curtain air bags for front and rear passengers (Impala)
    • Available side seat-mounted air bags for front passengers ( Monte Carlo )
    • Remote start available
    • OnStar Gen 6 standard
    DESIGN DETAILS

The ’06 Impala and Monte Carlo wear a new look, both inside and out, that conveys sophistication and exudes big-car roominess. They also are designed with thoughtful features, including the Impala’s unique flip-and-fold rear seat. The forward-flip rear seat cushions create a covered storage area beneath the seat with cushions down and offers convenient grocery bag hooks when the cushions are flipped forward. The seat back also folds down to create a generous pass-through from the trunk when seat backs are folded flat – an exclusive feature in the midsize segment.

The seats of both vehicles have a cleaner, simpler and more tailored appearance. Up-level, Nuance leather-covered seating features premium deck seams around their perimeter and French seams on the center cushions. The seats also have firmer cushions and increased lumbar support that provide more comfort, especially during long drives.

The Impala has an all-new instrument panel design that wraps around into the door panels and has a double-hump design that is reminiscent of early Corvettes. All Impala models except the Impala SS offer a wood-trimmed appearance or a sportier, brushed sterling-appearance trim. The Impala SS comes standard with a “technical”-pattern trim panel.

On the outside, large headlamps have a premium, jeweled appearance with three independent lighting units. These details complement other high-quality attributes, such as tight tolerances of 3.5 mm or less between body components and substantial “grab”-style door handles, to provide an overall feeling of solidity. Also, new, flat-blade windshield wipers are used to provide consistent pressure on the glass, which helps eliminate streaking and wind noise. The new exterior design cues reduce the Monte Carlo ’s overall length by 1.2 inches compared to the ’05 model.

The Impala SS and Monte Carlo SS models receive distinct front-end appearances separate from other models, including dual-split grilles that have a black-diamond crosshatch pattern. Monte Carlo models feature a rear decklid spoiler, with the Monte Carlo SS featuring a separate design suggestive of NASCAR-style spoilers. Impala SS and Monte Carlo SS models feature Corvette-inspired bright exhaust outlets. Impala LTZ and SS have a standard rear spoiler. A spoiler is available on the LT.

More- http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayS...=2&docid=10748
    Last edited by nsap; 01-05-2005 at 03:45 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 giagastormer's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: NAIAS Coverage: Chevrolet Impala

That interior looks great!!
    Last edited by giagastormer; 01-05-2005 at 03:37 PM.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member Rex Raider's Avatar
    Thanks

I have to say that except for the grille itself, I really don't mind the overall look of the car.

It's a little 90's Lumina meets Taurus meets Chrysler Concorder, but overall decent.

I'd like to see the interior pics.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Even with the new pics it looks like a Lumina and an Altima made a baby

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 giagastormer's Avatar
    Thanks

I really like it, is it just me or does the SS sit too high?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 2,160 Posts

Yeaaah... this isn't so bad. A bit on the bland side, but that's what the market is, so that's OK.

It kind of looks like an update lumina. And I liked the Lumina.

Thanks

i guess it doesnt look that bad at all
    the tailights shoulda been in 3s but ill live with it
    Last edited by 327; 01-05-2005 at 01:03 AM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Swahili's Avatar
    Thanks

Ok. So the car has grown on me but I don't like those Chrysler tail lights. The more I look at them though, they could be Ford 500 lights, or even Buick lights. So I guess they're ok. I think I'd like to see the mufflers covered up some more, but over all, I generally like the car, and it's still growing on me.
    Hidden Content

2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS. Black, 3800 Series II V6, 4 speed automatic - 150,500km.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I think the look works much better on the Monte than on this Impala, I think it is the roof line that bothers me the most. I mean, this is a pretty generic looking car. I hope the future zeta models are more in-your-face.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

The roofline looks just like an accords, that is why I don't like it...

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Swahili's Avatar
    Thanks

I like the wheels from the last car better than the SS's. That's ok though. That's what options are for, and the aftermarket.
    Hidden Content

2000 Chevy Monte Carlo SS. Black, 3800 Series II V6, 4 speed automatic - 150,500km.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 645 Posts

I see they left out the rear headrest. again.

Thanks

I have no problems with the design, clean, simple lines, looks well engineered. Looks very Japanese in execution, well if you can't beat em' join em.
    Hidden Content

My Rides (2013 Chevrolet Volt, 1991 Chevrolet S-10 Baja):
    Hidden Content
    @Testdrivejunkie
    "I know a lot about cars. I can look at a car's headlights and tell you exactly which way it's coming." - Mitch Hedberg ...

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 chev454ls's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Raider
    I have to say that except for the grille itself, I really don't mind the overall look of the car.
    Agreed 100%.
    '97 GTP
    '65 Impala Convertible

Thanks

I'm still not happy with how they ripped all the personality out of the Impala but I can't say I don't like the new Impala. It is very sleek and personally I like the rearend. Very Malibuish, especially the LTZ with the chrome bar.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information