LAIAS - 2020 KIA Soul Revealed

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LAIAS - 2020 KIA Soul Revealed

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

LAIAS - 2020 KIA Soul Revealed

The latest-generation 2020 Kia Soul has just premiered at the Los Angeles Auto Show and although it has a similar overall shape to its predecessor, it has undergone a plethora of significant changes.

The new 2020 Soul adopts a boxy silhouette but pairs it with a number of futuristic styling elements, particularly at the front. For example, there are a pair of slim headlights that rest above black accents and an enlarged black front grille. Also included in the new fascia are daytime running lights.

The rear of the updated Soul also looks radically different than the outgoing model and includes eye-catching taillights that extend up the C-pillars. Speaking of the C-pillars, the South Korean automaker says that they’ve been designed to resemble airplane wings. The C-pillars also feature the ‘Soul’ badge.

A new Soul for the new world.

In terms of powertrain options, there’s quite a few. Base models will come equipped with a 2.0-liter, naturally-aspirated four-cylinder engine delivering 147 hp and 132 lb-ft (178 Nm) of torque. This engine is mated to either a six-speed manual or an Intelligent Variable Transmission (IVT). For those looking for more performance, there is a 1.6-liter turbocharged four-cylinder on offer with a seven-speed dual-clutch as well as 201 hp and 195 lb-ft (264 Nm) of torque.

Then we come to perhaps the most important new Soul, the 2020 Soul EV. The car features a 64 kWh battery that supports Combined Charging System DC fast-charge as standard and is paired with an electric motor pumping out 201 hp and an impressive 291 lb-ft (394 Nm) of twisting force. Kia hasn’t released performance details and has yet to reveal the car’s EPA-estimated range.

Among the details we do know is that the 2020 Kia Soul EV includes four driving modes: Eco, Comfort, Sport, and Eco+. These modes automatically adjust power output, regenerative braking, air conditioning and heating settings, while also setting speed limits to help manage the efficiency of the powertrain.

Additionally, the Soul EV includes smart regenerative braking that’s operated through the paddle shifters, allowing drivers to slow the car and capture kinetic energy to boost range. There’s also a Brake and Hold System as well as a Smart Regen System which adjusts the regenerative braking level based on a vehicle being detected in front.

Inside, Kia’s designers took inspiration from the world of music and created a series of “shapes and textures that reflect acoustic inspired elements to create a full sensory experience.” One key interior inclusion consists of sound mood lighting that can be synchronized to the music playing through the car’s audio system. There’s also wireless charging, available dual auto climate control and a set of special tweeter speakers.

The 2020 Kia Soul comes available with a 10.25-inch HD color touchscreen with split screen function and a rear view monitor with parking guidance. Android Auto, Apple CarPlay, and Bluetooth are all present. Should customers so desire, they can also option an 8-inch Head-Up display and a 640-watt Harman Kardon audio system with an amplifier, 10 speakers, and a dedicated subwoofer.

Just as fun as ever but even more advanced.

In terms of safety, the new Soul can be optioned with Kia’s Drive Wise system. This includes Forward Collision Avoidance, Lane Keeping Assist, Lane Changing Assist, Driver Attention Warning, Blind-spot Collision Warning, Rear Cross Collision Warning, Smart Cruise Control, and High Beam Assist.

The ICE-powered 2020 Kia Soul models will be offered in GT-Line, X-Line, and EX Design Collection guises. Of these, the X-Line is perhaps the most interesting as it’s designed to look more rugged than the rest. As such, it features body cladding, chunkier fenders, off-road accents, bespoke 18-inch wheels, fog lights, optional two-tone paint, and different 18-inch wheels.
    https://www.carscoops.com/2018/11/20...-100-electric/

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Burns For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (11-28-2018),Neanderthal (11-28-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,749 Times in 2,430 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Re: 2020 KIA Soul Revealed

I'm glad they've kept the tradition alive and it looks like it is a Soul. I like that front end because it has a slightly sinister or sneaky-better watch out 'cause I've got something up my sleeve look to it. I like that they've given it an EV model along with the other fossil fueled models too, just to be all inclusive for wherever and whatever sales may come of it.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

johnstarnes (11-28-2018),RedSkyBlackDream (11-29-2018)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Vehicle Free Agent

The front end looks pretty good but they messed up the rear.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wallus13 For This Useful Post:

91fairladyZ (11-28-2018)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,753 Times in 4,673 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Thaxx for the post, Mr. Burns. A couple of comments:

"Adopts a boxy silhouette,"? Adopts? The Soul IS a box! Small outside, big inside.
    The 2.0 mill is quite likely the MPi, NOT GDI, and Atkinson Cycle. That too I find interesting. Sorry to see the 1.6 go, but I can't really feel the difference between the 164 HP 2.0 and the 130 HP 1.6. Both run 9-ish 0-60, the 2.0 a few tenths quicker per CD.

Nu MPi 2.0L Atkinson Cycle
    The Atkinson Cycle version of the Nu MPi 2.0L was first released for the 2016 Hyundai Elantra and it produces 147–154 hp (110–115 kW; 149–156 PS) @ 6,200rpm with 132 lb⋅ft (179 N⋅m) of torque at 4,500rpm.

The engine promises improved fuel economy vs the normal 2.0L MPi and better thermal efficiency.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Nu_engine

Glad to see the stick shift is retained. There are quite a few people at the Soul site who own and like the stick.

When I first went KIA shopping, just as the big crash of '08 was rolling along, and at that point I was a KIA skeptic and not impressed (I hadn't driven one yet), the lot had a yooj number of Spectras. Fifty or sixty I'd guess, and at least half those were the base LX with stick shift. I asked the salesman, hey, I didn't know there were that many people around who still knew how to drive a stick. "You'd be surprised," he said. ALL were sold within a month.

That's when I bought my first KIA--partly because the Americans had nothing on their lots, and the only other small cars available were the Elantra and Suzuki SX4--and I was mightily impressed by that Spectra. Both those other cars were fine machines, too, and I'm sure either would have worked out just as well.

The Spectra reminded me of my (originally our family) '66 Rover 2000. For its day and time, that Rover was probably the best car I've ever owned.
    Tight, competent, great 4 wheel discs, good power good economy very comfortable. In fact, those 4WDiscs felt so good that I violated Rule #1 which was always buy ABS. At any rate, enough war stories...

I notice the Great Ideas of Yesteryear are occasionally dropping by the wayside. Like GDI.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Kia Soul Turbo/ 2018 CX-5

At first glance, I hated what they did with the tail lights......now a few hours later...the hate has gone to dislike...they are growing on me slightly.

Interior looks to be a slight to moderate upgrade over the current model.

We currently have a 2017 Soul! turbo...and this one looks to be a tad bit lower....less wheel gap. I think from the side view the rear looks a tiny bit too low.

Overall I guess I like it. Want to see the curb weight, to see if it changed.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mjd1001 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (11-29-2018),RedSkyBlackDream (11-29-2018)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

I watched a few videos but can't tell if the piped in lights pulse with the beat of the music.
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I actually rather like it, but I can't stop thinking that the front view looks like the outgoing version with a skeptical look on its 'face'.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

Re: LAIAS - 2020 KIA Soul Revealed

THe Soul, is the industries newest Iconic automobile design.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 69gtsdart For This Useful Post:

johnstarnes (11-29-2018),RedSkyBlackDream (11-29-2018),SierraGS (12-01-2018)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 69gtsdart View Post
    THe Soul, is the industries newest Iconic automobile design.
    I'll agree with that. In it's own way it is sorta' timeless.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SVT74 For This Useful Post:

RedSkyBlackDream (11-29-2018)

YEH
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wallus13 View Post
    The front end looks pretty good but they messed up the rear.
    Too much tailight; the EV may actually have the best front clip of the 3, followed by the one in red.

Disappointing that Kia didn't equip the new Soul w/ available AWD, but I suppose they can always add it later (like what Toyota is doing w/ the Prius).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,157 Times in 542 Posts
    My Ride
    '09 Ford Flex; '18 Mustang GT

The front on the red one with the blacked out lights looks decent, but I hate the headlights in the bumper corners in general, and the ones where they're accentuated (bright) look bad.

I hate the taillight treatment too. The current setup is much better.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 StormHunter77's Avatar
    Thanks

Anyone else see TONS of Blazer/Camaro in that front end?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to StormHunter77 For This Useful Post:

sledgehammer777 (11-30-2018)

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Kia Soul Turbo/ 2018 CX-5

Ok, I let things sit for a day...and now I'm thinking it is likely we will replace our current Kia Soul with this one when it comes out next Spring. Do I love it? Not sure...I think it is more of a 'like'. Let see what else comes out at the Detroit, Chicago, or NY show in the next 3-4 months..but right now this looks likely.

I can't find many specs, but someplace else on the internet I saw a posting for curb weight for this thing..and it looks like most models may be 50-75 lighter.

I have to wait a bit though, today we traded in our White 2016 Mazda CX-5 for....a brand new White CX-5. Wife normally drives that one though.

GMI Camaro Forum Moderator Premium Member Z284ever's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,408 Times in 3,323 Posts

Cool!
    Pony Car: an affordable, compact, highly styled car with a sporty or performance-oriented image and an available V8.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,544 Times in 1,904 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Floating Roof and Pie Hole.
    I don't think I've ever seen those before. Good job not copying anyone else's bad styling cues, KIA!

A black EV eliminates these two tired styling blunders.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

Hidden Content

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information