LA: 2014 Subaru Forester Breaks Cover

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LA: 2014 Subaru Forester Breaks Cover

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

LA: 2014 Subaru Forester Breaks Cover

2014 Subaru Forester Breaks Cover, Heading for LA Auto Show Debut
    AutoGuide
    October 31, 2012
    by Jason Siu

Subaru has released the first official photos of its 2014 Subaru Forester crossover model and confirmed that it will make its North American debut at the 2012 Los Angeles Auto Show.

The fourth-generation Subaru Forester will offer a new 2.0-liter, direct-injection turbocharged Boxer engine with 250 hp. The Japanese automaker promised that fuel economy will be improved across the board thanks to a new six-speed manual transmission and available Lineartronic continuously variable transmission (CVT). Also available will be the 2.5-liter, four-cylinder with 170-hp of naturally aspirated performance.

Updates to the Forester also includes new, more refined suspension. Expect more information to come later this month at the 2012 Los Angeles Auto Show.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Re: LA: 2014 Subaru Forester Breaks Cover

Yawn styling, as usual. While Subaru's have technical merits, there actual purchase cost and lackluster styling just doesn't get me all excited. Next.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Xenon's Avatar
    Thanks

I see a Toyota RAV4.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Blah. Subaru needs to get more interesting if they want to really start gaining share of the market. Sure, boring-as-ever VWs like the Jetta and Passat are doing it for VW, but VW is a "good", established name. Subaru is still not really a brand on people's radar, nor a "cool" European brand.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar impala02's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 GMC Acadia

Disappointed.
    2017 GMC Acadia
    2015 BMW 535i xDrive
    2011 BMW 328i xDrive

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,556 Times in 798 Posts

Subaru will always be a niche player. There are folks that love them and will always buy them. plus, the AWD is nice for those who live in winter weather. Otherwise, the poor styling, CVT and price will keep it from ever being a major player.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member vanshmack's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve333 View Post
    Subaru will always be a niche player. There are folks that love them and will always buy them. plus, the AWD is nice for those who live in winter weather. Otherwise, the poor styling, CVT and price will keep it from ever being a major player.
    Quoted for truth!

In the mountain community where I live, the Subaru is ubiquitous. It is by far the most common make we see, ranking far ahead of the second place Saturns. Our winters are tough up here, and the folks who own Subarus swear by them. On the flip side, they tend to not age very well, and as my friend who owns one of the two local repair shops will attest, they start to have electrical and transmission problems as they accumulate miles.

Add to that the love it or hate it styling, you wind up with the niche product that is Subaru.
    1958 Chevrolet Apache - The wife's project
    1988 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z L98
    2015 BMW X1 xDrive35i M-Sport
    2020 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Wolfn99's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 Ford Focus ZX3

Nothing offensive about it. Nothing exciting either.
    I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vanshmack View Post
    Quoted for truth!

In the mountain community where I live, the Subaru is ubiquitous. It is by far the most common make we see, ranking far ahead of the second place Saturns. Our winters are tough up here, and the folks who own Subarus swear by them. On the flip side, they tend to not age very well, and as my friend who owns one of the two local repair shops will attest, they start to have electrical and transmission problems as they accumulate miles.

Add to that the love it or hate it styling, you wind up with the niche product that is Subaru.
    Speaking of transmissions, note the Forester is one of the only vehicles in its class to offer a manual transmission with AWD. I can imagine the CVT will be rife with maintenance problems...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    Blah. Subaru needs to get more interesting if they want to really start gaining share of the market. Sure, boring-as-ever VWs like the Jetta and Passat are doing it for VW, but VW is a "good", established name. Subaru is still not really a brand on people's radar, nor a "cool" European brand.
    "Interesting" apparently doesn't sell cars these days. One of the biggest sellers on this market - the Toyota Camry - is one of the LEAST interesting vehicles on this market. IMO, the Forester, in terms of styling, is the most interesting vehicle in Subaru's lineup, aside from the BRZ. Subaru's styling, as a whole, has become less quirky, and too mainstream, obviously due to Toyota's influence.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,346 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by spidge View Post
    "Interesting" apparently doesn't sell cars these days. One of the biggest sellers on this market - the Toyota Camry - is one of the LEAST interesting vehicles on this market. IMO, the Forester, in terms of styling, is the most interesting vehicle in Subaru's lineup, aside from the BRZ. Subaru's styling, as a whole, has become less quirky, and too mainstream, obviously due to Toyota's sales success.
    adjusted it for you (-:

Thanks

Not the prettiest but with low costs and Subaru reliability the new Forester should be fine for the not to overly pretentious. Both external styling and interior needs some improvement.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

As an owner of a 10-year old Subaru, I'll say that mine has an uncomfortable driver seat on long trips, terrible wind noise, an engine that sounds thrashy, and, with a manual, a very touchy clutch.

But...

After 10 years and 175K of brutally salty NY winters.... no rust, all the electricals still work and it runs like a top. And it is very tight. Not a single squeak or rattle from the interior. Sure.. I have had to weld up the exhaust flanges, and I have had to replace a ball joint. Nothing else. With the manual, you get a limited slip rear and a permanent 50/50 split front to rear.... so it's like driving a locomotive in the snow. Most reliable, durable car I have ever owned. It shows no signs of slowing down anytime soon.

Would I buy another one? In a heartbeat.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,544 Times in 1,904 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    I don't think they care.
    Besides, when they venture forth they end up with things like the Tribeca and Baja.

One thing about them... you only have to go up one trim level to get the cold weather package.
    That gives you a desirable set of bad weather features (AWD, heated everything including wipers and cloth seats, etc.) for a nice price.
    Last edited by eaton53; 11-01-2012 at 05:07 AM.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

Hidden Content

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

American car companies have nothing to worry about. 90's styling with a 2013 proice.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information