The International Chevys

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The International Chevys

Editor Premium Member
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

The International Chevys

The International Chevys
    Chevrolet flexed it's international muscle at this year's Detroit auto show.
    www.GMInsideNews.com
    January 14, 2013
    By: Nick Saporito
    pics: Alex Villani

Last week Chevrolet announced an all-new marketing campaign, simply dubbed "Find New Roads." The campaign has many deep, complicated meanings about GM's bread and butter brand, however among the meanings is a nod to the brand's international flare. Chevrolet, despite feeling like a very "American" brand in North America, is actually sold in over 140 countries today, and in many of those countries the brand has unique products for those regions.

Chevy brought five international products to the Detroit show this year; none of which have an exceedingly high chance of ever being sold in the United States, though two of them can be found just to our north. Among the five were the Orlando and Trax, two new crossovers that are being sold in Canada and other global markets.

The Orlando is a three-row crossover based on the Delta (C-Segment) architecture. As one would expect by seeing photos of it, the interior of the Orlando looks very much like that of the Cruze, and the material quality is similar. In fact, the argument can be made that certain aspects of the interior are better than the Cruze, such as a storage bin behind the radio buttons that houses a USB port.

Originally the Orlando was slated for the U.S. market, however it was scrapped at the last minute. One such reason it was scrapped may be because of the third row seat. While having two extra seats may be a perk for some, there is no question that this third row is reserved for small children or people you really dislike. Just about every dimension of the third row--except headroom--is tight.

The Trax also has ties to the U.S. It is based off the Opel Mokka and Buick Encore, which isn't tough to figure out just by looking at or inside the Trax. We would easily give the Trax the nod for U.S. consumption, though some of the materials feel a bit on the cheap side.

Chevrolet also displayed the Onix, Spin and Sail models. The Onix is a new hatchback for emerging markets, specifically Brazil. It is an attractive little car that appears to borrow some of its design from the Cruze, which it shares its platform with. Inside the interior is understandably less elaborate than that of the Cruze, though still not bad. Chevy's MyLink with touchscreen is there, as well as interior accent colors that match the exterior.

The Spin is yet another crossover for global consumption. Ironically it is configured on the same platform as the Orlando and is, well, a lot like the Orlando. The only difference is that the Spin is a little more mundane, though it feels much more roomy inside and houses a very high-end rear-seat entertainment system. The Spin is currently sold in Brazil, with plans to migrate to other emerging markets shortly.

Last, but certainly not least is the Sail. The Sail is essentially a rehashed version of the last generation Aveo. Both inside and out, it is clear the Sail is strictly for emerging markets, because it would never fly in North America, contrary to our own Alex Villani's opinion that the car could compete with the Nissan Versa and undercut it in price. Regardless, the car was surprisingly roomy and, well, that's about it.

Orlando

Trax

Onix

Spin

Sail

Last edited by BigAls87Z28; 02-24-2013 at 09:06 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Motors Man's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: The International Chevys

Nothing to see here folks......move along......

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Looks a bit like the island of lost toys.

I really wish GM would have showcased Opel products at NAIAS as well, particularly the ADAM and Cascada.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Onyx looks the best to me.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I think the Onyx is not a bad looking little car.

Come on GM bring some of these to the US. cough Orlando, cough Trax
    Current Rides: 2007 Yukon Denali, 2010 BMW 335i xDrive , 1969 Chevelle Malibu, 1969 Chevy C20 (Current Project), 1977 Chevy K20 (Future Project)
    Hidden Content

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar PHAT-JAY's Avatar
    Thanks

My legs are hurting looking at those back seats above, and no GM please don't bring any of those to the US, we have enough small cars as it is, they will just cannibalize each other.

*Side-note I don't see a lot of muscle above, honestly displaying these cars is a waste of both space.
    IF IT AINT RWD; AND A CHEVY I DONT RIDE IT!!!!!

ALL CHEVY'S NEED TO BE RWD!!!!!

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 CamaroCrazy's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Twin Turbo Caddy

Maybe, just maybe, the Orlando could play a role in the US. The rest appear inferior to the Cruze and Sonic.

Speaking of which, where is the refreshed US Cruze with the diesel??
    Current Cars:
    2016 GMC Acadia Denali
    2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport Premium
    1994 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

Past Cars:
    1974 Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 1984 Chevrolet Impala, 1998 Pontiac Grand Am, 2000 Chevrolet Camaro, 2007 Ford Explorer, 2007 BMW 335i

De gustibus non est disputandum

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC nhlkent11's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    40' Gillig Low Floor

Glad they didn't bring any Cruze variants which we don't get. I don't need the heartache!
    My GM's
    -2011 Chevy Cruze LT 1.4T
    -2011 Chevy Equinox LT 2.4
    -1997 Chevy Express 2500

And.....
    -1994 Ford F150
    -1959 Ford Ranchero (still in restoration)

Thanks

Trust me, you're not missing out on anything with the Orlando. A dealer tried to get me to test drive one once, but I had to decline. It doesn't offer much for innovative storage options, the styling is bland (and dated with the new design language on the Traverse and Impala), and it doesn't do anything (other than offer pinched 7 seating) that a base model Equinox can't do. At least if they would've offered side sliding doors and better fold flat seats, then perhaps there would be a better business case in the U.S.

As for the rest of the "international" portfolio seen here, I agree with most and wonder what is the point? Out of all of the international flavours they could have sampled from the ranks, they could have showcased much better.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Nelson Kyle K's Avatar
    Thanks

I would take the Trax and Orlando lucky Canada.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Bad pictures. Could they get any closer to the nose and get the whole car in the shot?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nsap View Post
    The International Chevys
    Chevrolet flexed it's international muscle at this year's Detroit auto show.
    *its

(Sorry, it only bothered me because it's in the tagline )

Chevrolet also displayed the Onix, Spin and Sail models. The Onix is a new hatchback for emerging markets, specifically Brazil. It is an attractive little car that appears to borrow some of its design from the Cruze, which it shares its platform with. Inside the interior is understandably less elaborate than that of the Cruze, though still not bad. Chevy's MyLink with touchscreen is there, as well as interior accent colors that match the exterior.

The Spin is yet another crossover for global consumption. Ironically it is configured on the same platform as the Orlando and is, well, a lot like the Orlando. The only difference is that the Spin is a little more mundane, though it feels much more roomy inside and houses a very high-end rear-seat entertainment system. The Spin is currently sold in Brazil, with plans to migrate to other emerging markets shortly.
    The Onix (and Spin) are Gamma II-based, are they not?

Though IMO the Onix has a lot more family resemblance to the Cruze hatch, than the Sonic and Cruze hatchbacks have.
    "Here's to Mr. Iacocca and his failed experiment, the DeLorean!" - The Office

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Quickening's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Cadillac of my choosing

Make the ugly stop.
    Hidden Content

2013 Cadillac ATS, Cadillac demo...
    Past: 2012 Range Rover Evoque, 2009 Cadillac CTS, 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero, 1985 Mercedes-Benz 300D

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Still puzzled by GMs unwillingness to bring the Trax stateside. If they can make the Verano and Cruze two distinct vehicles off the same platform no reason to think they couldn't do the same with Encore/Trax offerings. More importantly it would have pushed GM to put a better engine in the Encore something I fear will make an otherwise great vehicle fall short. Chevy buyers can live with the 1.4T near 10 second to 60 times not sure Buick buyers are going to accept those numbers. The Trax would have pushed GM to develop a 1.6 or 1.8T for the US market.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC dewey9315's Avatar
    Thanks

Chevy brought five international products to the Detroit show this year; none of which have an exceedingly high chance of ever being sold in the United States, though two of them can be found just to our north. Among the five were the Orlando and Trax, two new crossovers that are being sold in Canada and other global markets.
    In the case of the Detriot auto show....just to the SOUTH!
    1963 Buick Wildcat waiting to be brought back to life.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information