GMI's Off To The Races, LIVE:Coverage of The 2014 Chevrolet Detroit Grand Prix

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GMI's Off To The Races, LIVE:Coverage of The 2014 Chevrolet Detroit Grand Prix

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member GMfan1111's Avatar
    in a undisclosed bunker somewhere in the metro detroit area
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

GMI's Off To The Races, LIVE:Coverage of The 2014 Chevrolet Detroit Grand Prix

With the end of May now upon us, it is once again time for our annual coverage of the Chevrolet Detroit Grand Prix (three years in a row ). Stay tuned to this thread throughout today and Sunday for the latest news and race results from Belle Isle. Can Chevrolet finally end Honda's two year reign at the top of the Belle Isle podium? Find out the answer to this question and more here!!!

“The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair”

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools".
    - Douglas Adams -

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    Ford Explorer/2002/Green

Re: GMI's Off To The Races, LIVE:Coverage of The 2014 Chevrolet Detroit Grand Prix

I just want to know how it feels to go to a state owned park. Is it better NOW?
    6 speed transmissions are the future

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

Re: GMI's Off To The Races, LIVE:Coverage of The 2014 Chevrolet Detroit Grand Prix

Good question Belle Isle is currently at the point where your not going to notice any eye opening changes but the little things (fresh coats of paint, cleaner lawns etc) are a nice improvement from last year and especially two years ago. Also during my times walking around the island to different photo spots i noticed the communication between indy car officials and volunteers has finally at long last improved.
    “The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair”

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools".
    - Douglas Adams -

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

O'Connell Clinches 4th Victory On Belle Isle Street Course

The Master Of The Isle Delivers A World Class Clinic In Round One Of The Cadillac V-Series World Challenge
    www.gminsidenews.com
    May 31, 2014
    By: Carl Malek

Johnny O'Connell staked his claim to Belle Isle two years ago when he won both rounds of the 2012 V-Series World Challenge as well as the first race the following year before snapping that trend with a second place finish in round two. However, in a hotly contested race on the challenging Belle Isle street course, O'Connell dominated the field and cruised his way to an easy win in round one of the 2014 Cadillac V-Series World Challenge in what could perhaps be the very beginnings of another winning streak for the talented American.

While O'Connell had first place largely to himself during a majority of the event, the rest of the field jostled for positional superiority throughout the race with Andrew Palmer nabbing second place after pitting his Audi R8 Ultra against the Ferrari 458 Italia GT3 piloted by Anthony Lazzaro with Palmer nailing a key pass to overtake Lazzaro and punching his ticket to the second spot on the podium (Lazzaro placed third). Meanwhile O'Connell's partner in crime Andy Pilgrim had a rough outing with mechanical troubles keeping his CTS-V racer from cracking the top five though look for Pilgrim to try and bounce back when round two takes place tomorrow. Stay tuned to this thread for the latest news and results from the 2014 Detroit Chevrolet Belle Isle Grand Prix as they become available.
    Last edited by GMfan1111; 05-31-2014 at 11:51 AM.

- Douglas Adams -

Thanks

Last year Chevrolet took it on the chin. I don't believe they won any of the supporting races and everyone knows they got walloped by Honda in the Indy feature. I don't expect any change this year. Why Chevrolet chose to keep a single large turbo on its Indy engine rather than twin small turbos is a head scratcher. Honda engineers certainly took advantage of the change in rules. Chip Ganassi must be furious that he switched from Honda to Chevy. The Andretti group must be pleased because they made the opposite switch.
    Last edited by bone; 05-31-2014 at 12:30 PM.
    1966 Corvair Corsa

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Last year Chevrolet took it on the chin. I don't believe they won any of the supporting races and everyone knows they got walloped by Honda in the Indy feature. I don't expect any change this year. Why Chevrolet chose to keep a single large turbo on its Indy engine rather than twin small turbos is a headcratcher. Honda engineers certainly took advantage in the change in rules. Chip Ganassi must be furious that he switched from Honda to Chevy. The Andretti group must be pleased because they made the opposite switch.

Thats always astounded me as well especially since the larger turbo is heavier than the smaller twin turbocharger setup not to metnion the more efficent power delivery. I'm hoping chevy finally see's the light and switches eventually especially with Honda's current dominance

- Douglas Adams -

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Last year Chevrolet took it on the chin. I don't believe they won any of the supporting races and everyone knows they got walloped by Honda in the Indy feature. I don't expect any change this year. Why Chevrolet chose to keep a single large turbo on its Indy engine rather than twin small turbos is a headcratcher. Honda engineers certainly took advantage in the change in rules. Chip Ganassi must be furious that he switched from Honda to Chevy. The Andretti group must be pleased because they made the opposite switch.
    Quick fact check. Chevy was using the twin turbo's last year, Honda joined this year from a single turbo last year.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2014/03/...gine-unwrapped

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jgisonfire View Post
    Quick fact check. Chevy was using the twin turbo's last year, Honda joined this year from a single turbo last year.

http://www.indycar.com/News/2014/03/...gine-unwrapped
    Wow, I don't remember being so wrong. No excuses but I actually believed Chevrolet was using a single turbo. Thanks for setting me straight. I still can't figure out why the Hondas are out-performing the Chevy-Ilmor.
    1966 Corvair Corsa

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

^could be the way their turbo's are calibrated versus Chevrolet's. Also driver skill could be a small part as well especially in terms of how quick they can shift and downshift as well as throttle etc. Meanwhile looks like another strong showing for the Daytona Vettes

- Douglas Adams -

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 mchicha's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

Problem with US auto racing is the fact that we do not put our best technological footprint forward. That sucks, and GM, Detroit and Chrysler need to step up and put an end to that.

Either race production cars or race real technical marvels. Anything in between is not worth it.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

Jordan And Ricky Taylor Make 1st Place a Family Affair In First Place Victory

Jordan And Ricky Taylor Make 1st Place A Family Affair With Belle Isle Victory
    Taylor Brothers Secure First Place In Thrilling Belle Isle Finish
    www.gminsidenews.com
    May 31, 2014

In a race that came down to a tire to tire duel in the closing laps of the 2014 Chevrolet Sports Car Classic, brothers Jordan and Ricky Taylor broke through the packed field to claim first place for Chevrolet as well as their dad's Wayne Taylor Racing outfit. The saga leading to the well earned victory began when Ricky Taylor made contact with the DP Corvette piloted by Joao Barbosa while fighting for the top spot midway through the race. The impact forced Taylor to slam into the wall, but karma would come to bite Barbosa moments later when a punctured left rear tire forced him to vacate the lead back to Taylor who held on and piloted the wounded Konica-Minolta sponsored Corvette to a first place finish with fellow DP Vette driver Richard Westbrook coming in second place which allowed the DP Vettes to secure the first and second spots on the podium. Today's victory was the third straight Detroit victory for Jordan Taylor while also being the first victory for the brothers as a pair in this years IMSA competition, an impressive feat in its own right that the duo (along with their dad) should be very proud of.

Meanwhile third place went to the No. 42 OAK racing Morgan-Nissan car piloted by Olivier Pla and Gustavo Yacaman with the finish being the first time the team has placed in the top three in IMSA competition. The race in contrast to the caution flag filled Cadillac V-Series World Challenge earlier today, only had two full course caution flags with the second 22 minute caution due to a broken barrier which played a small but key role in setting up the frantic sprint to the finish in the race's closing moments. Unlike the folks at Wayne Taylor Racing, Chip Gannassi Racing had an early end to their day, when clutch issues with their Riley-Ford car forced driver Memo Rojas to pit and ultimately retire from the event after co-driver Scott Pruett completed the mandatory 10 minute running period to collect points in a rough outing for the team . Stay tuned later today for results and news from the first race of the 2014 Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix to find out if Honda's two year long reign at the podium will be snapped by Team Chevrolet in today's action.
    Last edited by GMfan1111; 05-31-2014 at 02:44 PM.

- Douglas Adams -

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

The Empire Has Fallen, Will Power Victory Topples Honda's Reign On The Podium

The Empire Has Fallen, Will Power Victory Topples Honda's Reign On The Podium
    Will Powers big win topples Honda's dominance on the Belle Isle podium and wraps up big day for GM Racing

May 31, 2014

Going into today's race, Honda had a repeat performance of domination on the podium at Belle Isle with Team Chevrolet being unable to land a driver in first place since the Grand Prix was revived back in 2007. However when the dust settled Honda's reign as well as its chance at victory were both swept away into the history books thanks to a big win by Team Penske driver Will Power. When the race first started it seemed slim that Power would achieve victory thanks to starting 16th in the field (the worst Power has done yet in qualifying on Belle Isle). However as the race proceeded, Power gradually shot his way up the field eventually cracking the top five midway thru the event. Honda would not go down without a fight though, with the final laps coming down to a hard fought duel between Power and Grahm Rahal driver of the No. 15 National Guard Honda on the twists and turns of the Belle Isle street circuit. Rahal would ultimately finish second with today's finish the highest Rahal has placed since his first place finish in 2013 at Long Beach. Third place was claimed by fellow Chevrolet driver Tony Kanaan who not only made his 66th appearance in the winners circle, but also had the best street circuit performance since the 2011 Baltimore Grand Prix.

"Rahal was really pushing me at the end and it was a great victory for Roger, the crew, and Verizon" stated Power during post race comments with assembled media. Power's victory is his 23rd win and has allowed him to tie iconic racer Tommy Milton in terms of all time career wins an impressive achievement. Overall today's victory in race one of the Belle Isle doubleheader capped off a promising day for GM racing with all three of its racing programs nabbing places on the podium. Can GM continue this reign of success tomorrow when round two of the Cadillac V-Series World Challenge and Grand Prix take place? stay tuned.....
    Last edited by GMfan1111; 05-31-2014 at 06:17 PM.

- Douglas Adams -

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

Big day for GM racing the Honda Empire has fallen. Thoughts?

- Douglas Adams -

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,376 Posts

Re: O'Connell Clinches 4th Victory On Belle Isle Street Course

Quote Originally Posted by GMfan1111 View Post
    The Master Of The Isle Delivers A World Class Clinic In Round One Of The Cadillac V-Series World Challenge
    www.gminsidenews.com
    May 31, 2014

Johnny O'Connell staked his claim to Belle Isle two years ago when he won both rounds of the 2012 V-Series World Challenge as well as the first race the following year before snapping that trend with a second place finish in round two. However, in a hotly contested race on the challenging Belle Isle street course, O'Connell dominated the field and cruised his way to an easy win in round one of the 2014 Cadillac V-Series World Challenge in what could perhaps be the very beginnings of another winning streak for the talented American.

While O'Connell had first place largely to himself during a majority of the event, the rest of the field jostled for positional superiority throughout the race with Andrew Palmer nabbing second place after pitting his Audi R8 Ultra against the Ferrari 458 Italia GT3 piloted by Anthony Lazzaro with Palmer nailing a key pass to overtake Lazzaro and punching his ticket to the second spot on the podium (Lazzaro placed third). Meanwhile O'Connell's partner in crime Andy Pilgrim had a rough outing with mechanical troubles keeping his CTS-V racer from cracking the top five though look for Pilgrim to try and bounce back when round two takes place tomorrow. Stay tuned to this thread for the latest news and results from the 2014 Detroit Chevrolet Belle Isle Grand Prix as they become available.
    Congrats Johnny.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Cobaltss_King's Avatar
    Thanks

With all the success recently for GM on and off the track I'm hopping they bring back and expand on there privateer support. A good contingency program is needed.
    "More powerful, quicker and outright faster than a comparable BMW, Cadillac’s newest model is the best reason to skip the letter M and head all the way down the alphabet to V."
    Current Rides: 13’ Audi A3 Hatch TDI
    17’ Cadillac CT6 3.6
    16’ Cadillac ELR

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information