Geneva 2014: BMW 2-Series Active Tourer (Production Spec)

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Geneva 2014: BMW 2-Series Active Tourer (Production Spec)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ausrutherford's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus

Geneva 2014: BMW 2-Series Active Tourer (Production Spec)

BMW 2-Series Active Tourer officially unveiled
    By Michael Gauthier
    WCF

BMW has officially unveiled the 2-Series Active Tourer ahead of its debut at the Geneva Motor Show.

Previewed by the Concept Active Tourer, the production model is a front-wheel drive hatchback that will have the purists howling.

Despite their disapproval, the Active Tourer is instantly recognizable as a BMW as it features a forward-slanting kidney grille, twin circular headlights and the familiar Hofmeister kink. Overview, it measures 4,342mm long, 1,800mm wide and 1,555mm tall with a wheelbase that spans 2,670mm.

The styling won't win everyone over but the Sport Line package has high-gloss black accents, special air intakes and exclusive 16- or 17-inch alloy wheels. There's also sport seats, high-gloss black trim and contrast stitching.

The Luxury Line adds high-gloss chrome grille and special 16- or 17-inch alloy wheels. The model also has a leather-wrapped sport steering wheel, special seat upholstery and chrome accents.

If that isn't sporty enough, the M Sport package adds an aerodynamic body kit, a high-gloss black grille, a sport-tuned suspension (which reduces the ride height by 10mm) and 17- or 18-inch light alloy wheels. The package also includes an M leather steering wheel, specially upholstered sports seats, an anthracite roof liner and M-branded door sill plates.

Have sales for GM not seen in Hidden Content ? Hidden Content

Go Tigers!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus

Re: Geneva 2014: BMW 2-Series Active Tourer (Production Spec)

Only one way to describe this...

Go Tigers!!!

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Seriously underwhelming but for the poseurs and wannabees who can't get enough of the twin kidney I think it hits their sweet spot. Likely to be priced around $39995 out the door, it gives the similarly sized Buick Encore some space to undercut this one on price if not cache. This won't sell a boatload like the 3 series and X5 but for the serious porch climber at the local Whole Foods with their 1.5 kids it will have its appeal.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 3,234 Times in 1,933 Posts

Both BMW and Mercedes are resorting to ever more desperate surface tricks along the sides. It's pointless to bring it up because this will sell better in the US than anywhere else.
    "The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity. "

W.B. Yeats- 1919

Thanks
    My Ride
    BMW and GMC

BMW is simply lost and it is quite sad. Just about everything about this product is wrong from the drive wheels to the name to its Kia Rondo-like proportions.

The thing about it is that their coveted "driving enthusiasts" customers won't want to have anything to do with them anymore with products like this showing up in front of every SAMs Club and becoming the method of transport for the Reubenesque women who shop there.

Much of BMWs mystique was about a club; a brand built for those who love to drive and for whom that experience is placed above all other attributes of car ownership. BMW has been whittling away at that for years and this misguided product takes another giant sized chunk off that perception that they only build cars for the few who can appreciate the joy of the drive. I am certain that the folks who will buy this have no clue what it means to 'heal and toe'.

This product, like the CLA, is why the stars are aligning for Cadillac; BMW is leaving a vacuum for enthusiast buyers and M-B is doing the same with luxury buyers. I don't think Cadillac should take their volume but they should aim for the prestige those brands once possessed and for the aspirations of people everywhere that were once assigned to the German brands.
    Last edited by 32016; 02-13-2014 at 11:38 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 32016 For This Useful Post:

LetsRace (02-14-2014)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus

Kinda sad to think of this...

Renault is coming out with a RWD city car and BMW is coming out with a FWD compact MPV.

Go Tigers!!!

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 PontiacBixler's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Pontiac G6 GT Coupe

WTF is BMW doing over the past 4-5 years???

Big mistakes IMO:
    1- 6-Series GranCoupe
    2- 4-Series
    3- X1
    4- Offering M-Sport options instead of keeping them to actual M-Series vehicles.
    5- 3-Series GT
    6- All Active Tourer models
    What is happening to the GM that grew up with for these many decades? If I could I would institute a hostile take over and kick the entire board and executives out and fill the positions with creative minds under the age of 35.

YEH
    6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

It's rather pretty simple.

BMW needs to gain volume if it wants to remain independent and besides, the sub-entry segment of the market is the one prime for growth (and to get the young professional) as the compact/previous entry level segment w/ the 3 Series is now as big as the 5 Series from a few generations ago and now has a proper interior befitting a luxury sedan (previously, their interiors weren't luxury grade).

The same holds for Mercedes.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YEH For This Useful Post:

Ruperts Trooper (02-14-2014),SierraGS (02-15-2014),Toto (02-14-2014)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PontiacBixler View Post
    WTF is BMW doing over the past 4-5 years???

Big mistakes IMO:
    1- 6-Series GranCoupe
    2- 4-Series
    3- X1
    4- Offering M-Sport options instead of keeping them to actual M-Series vehicles.
    5- 3-Series GT
    6- All Active Tourer models
    If you view the 3 Series and 4 Series (including gran coupe) as one model line, then it's not a mistake. Sure they'll cannibalize each other, but at the end of the day, they are the same car.

Buyers are very fickle and picky. If they don't like one small design element of a car, they'll move on to the competition. That's one reason why BMW is introducing all of these models.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by YEH View Post
    BMW needs to gain volume if it wants to remain independent
    I keep reading this on GMI, but I don't really know why that would be the case.

2013 earnings:

GM - $3.8b
    Ford - $7.2b
    BMW - $11.0b

Market cap:

GM - $56b
    Ford - $59b
    BMW - $75b

Seems to me like they're doing just fine as an indepedent company, and they're certainly selling enough volume to produce cars efficiently.

Aston Martin...there's a company that needs more volume if they want to remain indepedent, but we're talking about a company that's bigger than any of the 'big 3' and makes about as much money as GM and Ford combined.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to baloo For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (02-15-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 965 Posts
    My Ride
    です

Isn't the 2 series RWD why is this FWD or did the article get it wrong?

Thanks

I really can't see why it would sell well anywhere outside of Germany. But given that the B-Class is still around, there apparently is enough of a market for this type of vehicles in Germany to support them.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member BBDOS CV8's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Holden Monaro (Barbados)

Quote Originally Posted by Bravada View Post
    I really can't see why it would sell well anywhere outside of Germany. But given that the B-Class is still around, there apparently is enough of a market for this type of vehicles in Germany to support them.
    It will sell the the same reason the B-class still sells. There are people who want small FWD people movers with the premium badge.

I am just pleased they left the '1' the '1' as the missus' is very happy with her 118 (happy wife, happy life).

And I disagree having 'M-sports' trims is dumb. We bought one - the colour/features combos came up within a poofteenth of what we would have paid for the options we wanted which were close, it has enough functional upgrades (steering, suspension) etc to keep me happy and it's so far been excellent and almost perfect. And she got Estoril Blue which she loved and couldn't have otherwise. And BMW let us order it without the badges and silly red stripes in the seat for no charge. But people still pick it because of the hero colour.

We could never have countenanced a M135 at roughly 60% more and the 1.6 turbo is more than enough to entertain her (and Holden won't admit but I am sure they benchmarked it for the 1.6 Cruze SRi).

Having V-sports for drivers who want more but not a full-fledged track-ready car is the smartest thing GM has done with the CTS Cadillac and should extend it.
    Last edited by BBDOS CV8; 02-14-2014 at 03:20 AM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Xenon's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baloo View Post
    I keep reading this on GMI, but I don't really know why that would be the case.

2013 earnings:

GM - $3.8b
    Ford - $7.2b
    BMW - $11.0b

Market cap:

GM - $56b
    Ford - $59b
    BMW - $75b

Seems to me like they're doing just fine as an indepedent company, and they're certainly selling enough volume to produce cars efficiently.

Aston Martin...there's a company that needs more volume if they want to remain indepedent, but we're talking about a company that's bigger than any of the 'big 3' and makes about as much money as GM and Ford combined.
    Problem is that a lot of BMW's income comes off the higher end cars, and Mini is a niche at best. So if the economy of a key market were to go into the toilet, or if demand for large luxo-barges dries up, guess who feels the hit the most?

here's a hint: It won't be GM or Ford.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,488 Times in 1,882 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by YEH View Post
    It's rather pretty simple.

BMW needs to gain volume if it wants to remain independent and besides, the sub-entry segment of the market is the one prime for growth (and to get the young professional) as the compact/previous entry level segment w/ the 3 Series is now as big as the 5 Series from a few generations ago and now has a proper interior befitting a luxury sedan (previously, their interiors weren't luxury grade).

The same holds for Mercedes.
    Plus - BMW and Mercedes-Benz need to get corporate fuel consumption down - for CAFE in North America and the equivalent in the EU - so expansion at the lower end is their only possibility.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

SierraGS (02-15-2014)

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information