Find New Roads: The Nashville Stop

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Find New Roads: The Nashville Stop

GMI Staff Member Premium Member NoStopN's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 1,434 Posts
    My Ride
    19 Ram, 69 GMC, 04 Alero

Find New Roads: The Nashville Stop

Here is an album that covers my visit to the Find New Roads event in Nashville. But, before I send you to the album of photos, how about a quick little video?

https://twitter.com/NoStopN/status/657033070403522560

And now the photos: Flickr
    Hidden Content

I love you, Dad. 8/25/57-3/28/11

Hidden Content

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NoStopN For This Useful Post:

Butz (10-22-2015),ChrisGinNC (10-22-2015),Cobaltss_King (10-22-2015),dslay04 (10-22-2015),Evo69 (10-22-2015),SRFCTY (10-22-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    19 Ram, 69 GMC, 04 Alero

Re: Find New Roads: The Nashville Stop

And, I'll throw in a little bit of opinion on the new vehicles. We'll start with the oldest one: the Colorado. I just sat in the front & back seats & felt comfortable in either. A driver who is taller than me (5' 11") would make the rear seat passenger less comfortable. The big draw was the diesel. There were no test drives of any of the vehicles, so no impression of how the engine sounded or how the truck drives.

The Volt: It's not a bad piece. But, if GM thinks that 5 normal sized people in this car, they are completely wrong. The battery tunnel & long console stretching from between the front seats to the back, only has room for 4. The interior felt nice & the contrasting color scheme looked good. But, that's just my opinion.

The Malibu: I gave this a more thorough look. The obvious stuff such as materials & interior room were big on my list. The dash has some contrast in the materials. Plenty of low grade plastic mixed in with rather nice segments of material. I can't tell that it was genuine leather, but it did feel nice to the touch. Notice, it was a Premier trim model. And most of you will be happy to know that only NBA players will be able to complain about leg room in the back seat. I sat behind our former Admin Nsap while he made himself comfortable in the front seat. Nick is about 2-3" taller than me, & I still had room in the back. Good job there. I also noticed a surprising design element. The CHMSL (3rd brake light) hides at the top of the roof very inconspicuously. The trunk as well looked rather cavernous. Overall, this is a better competitor to Accord/Camry/Altima than the last Malibu. But, GM still has to win customers over & the segment leaders didn't get to the top overnight. GM just needs to keep making progress in this segment. They won't hit the home run in one swing.

The Camaro: This is what the Tour is all about. First, the Camaro is a 2-seater, unless you have kids in the back seat. There just wasn't any leg room behind me once I set the driver's seat to my liking. But, the front seat passengers will like it. The dash falls into the same category as the Malibu. But, it appears as if GM used more of the soft touch material on the dash than they did on the 'Bu. The gear shifter felt slicker than the last V8/manual car I drove (my '05 GTO). I can't really say that it will feel that good while driving, but it didn't feel clunky or notchy. As you've seen, the Camaro likes to show off, starting right after you get in. It should be a fun drive, but they just didn't set these events up for test drives.

Chevy also brought along a 2016 Equinox & Stingray. The Equinox is scheduled to be replaced next year, so I didn't feel the need to climb inside of it.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NoStopN For This Useful Post:

ChrisGinNC (10-22-2015),inrick1 (10-22-2015),orville (10-22-2015),paul8488 (10-22-2015)

Thanks
    My Ride
    plane

Did the new Spark EV make it to Nashville?
    My EV-obsessed friends tell me it is a monster.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Chevy Malibu LT

Compact cars are never suited for 5 passengers!

Ooooh, sorry. Don't know what came over me. Rant over.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Genghis For This Useful Post:

0fxxk0 (10-22-2015)

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Can someone give a list of all the vehicles that are on the Find New Roads Trip. I am thinking of going to the Raleigh show.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 965 Posts
    My Ride
    です

Quote Originally Posted by orville View Post
    Hopefully th next Spark EV will be sold at more states. I'm really itching for something electric.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Ambalanche's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 623 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra SLT

How is Nick? I miss him posting here! And is he still working on his own site? Haven't seen any updates.

Thanks
    My Ride
    19 Ram, 69 GMC, 04 Alero

Quote Originally Posted by orville View Post
    There were no Sparks at this event. The Volt was the smallest car on display.

Quote Originally Posted by Genghis View Post
    Compact cars are never suited for 5 passengers!
    I'll agree, but GM put a 3rd seat belt in the back with the intention of a passenger riding there. The only passenger that fit fit center seat in the rear is literally a baby up to a toddler sized child. Then, they will have to split that rear console & battery tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by kafuller View Post
    Can someone give a list of all the vehicles that are on the Find New Roads Trip. I am thinking of going to the Raleigh show.
    Originally, it was supposed to be the Camaro, Volt, Malibu, Cruze, & Spark. Looks like some of those weren't available even to show off. So, in Nashville, we got the Stingray, Camaro, Equinox, Volt, Malibu, & Colorado. They must have brought the Stingray in order to make up for not delivering the Spark.

And Nick is doing well. We spent almost an hour critiquing the cars & truck. He told me that his new site went public (as only viewable, not posting) just yesterday.
    Last edited by NoStopN; 10-22-2015 at 10:57 AM.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

14. The Following User Says Thank You to NoStopN For This Useful Post:

ChrisGinNC (10-22-2015)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I went to the Syracuse event last night.

See this link for my impressions of the new Camaro:
    http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427138
    2015 Chevy Camaro 1LE (1 of 147 (Silver Ice Metallic 1LE))
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo E
    2009 Dodge Challenger R/T (1 of 485 (Stone White R/T M6))
    2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP (1 of 1208 (est.) (Mysterious GXP M5))
    2004 Chevy Colorado ZQ8
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 Collector Edition (1 of 839 (t-top M6))
    1994 Pontiac Grand Prix SE B4U

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,681 Times in 2,635 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

Quote Originally Posted by NoStopN View Post
    I'll agree, but GM put a 3rd seat belt in the back with the intention of a passenger riding there. The only passenger that fit fit center seat in the rear is literally a baby up to a toddler sized child. Then, they will have to split that rear console & battery tunnel.
    GM has said that it was going to be a small seat so this just confirms it. I wouldn't want to sit in the middle of the Cruze anymore than the Volt as compacts give that up. Technically, the Camaro is a 4 seater as well.

What did you like about the Volt the most?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

Genghis (10-23-2015)

Thanks
    My Ride
    19 Ram, 69 GMC, 04 Alero

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    GM has said that it was going to be a small seat so this just confirms it. I wouldn't want to sit in the middle of the Cruze anymore than the Volt as compacts give that up. Technically, the Camaro is a 4 seater as well.

What did you like about the Volt the most?
    I won't lie, I haven't been interested in the Volt. I do admit that the interior was better than I thought. The 2-tone appearance I really liked. Otherwise, the common knowledge that the car is meant as an extended range vehicle makes me like the potential for great fuel economy. However, I'm a power junkie & a truck guy, so I spent the most time with the Camaro & Colorado. And while technically there are 4 seats in the Camaro, us normal height folks will take up most of the rear passengers' leg room. It's the 3rd & 4th gen design all over again.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

I won't lie, I haven't been interested in the Volt. I do admit that the interior was better than I thought. The 2-tone appearance I really liked. Otherwise, the common knowledge that the car is meant as an extended range vehicle makes me like the potential for great fuel economy. However, I'm a power junkie & a truck guy, so I spent the most time with the Camaro & Colorado. And while technically there are 4 seats in the Camaro, us normal height folks will take up most of the rear passengers' leg room. It's the 3rd & 4th gen design all over again.
    What's funny is that I've had 4 people in the GTO. 4 adults. Surprised the hell out of me.

Im so intrigued by the new Volt that its making a serious case to be my next car for a few years so I can save up the extra cash for a Camaro or Corvette.

Thanks
    My Ride
    19 Ram, 69 GMC, 04 Alero

What's funny is that I've had 4 people in the GTO. 4 adults. Surprised the hell out of me.

Im so intrigued by the new Volt that its making a serious case to be my next car for a few years so I can save up the extra cash for a Camaro or Corvette.
    I had 3 people in my GTO a couple of times with no complaints of rear seat room. Head room was another story. And the Volt would work for me if they offered one of those awesome lease deals like they did with the first gen ($199/month?). I just got a new job where I drive to work in town, & drive a company truck during business hours. Not like my last job; 50 miles each way, 5 days a week.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

I had 3 people in my GTO a couple of times with no complaints of rear seat room. Head room was another story. And the Volt would work for me if they offered one of those awesome lease deals like they did with the first gen ($199/month?). I just got a new job where I drive to work in town, & drive a company truck during business hours. Not like my last job; 50 miles each way, 5 days a week.
    16 miles round trip for me. Wouldn't even need to plug in the Volt except every other day.

Thanks
    My Ride
    19 Ram, 69 GMC, 04 Alero

16 miles round trip for me. Wouldn't even need to plug in the Volt except every other day.
    Mine wouldn't be much farther. Plus the 2nd gen Volt will have longer all electric range.
    Hidden Content

Hidden Content

23. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information