BMW Vision Future Luxury Concept: 2014 Beijing Auto Show

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BMW Vision Future Luxury Concept: 2014 Beijing Auto Show

Thanks
    Thanked 1,109 Times in 615 Posts

Viknesh Vijayenthiran
    Motorauthority
    04/19/2014

BMW’s new concept for the 2014 Beijing Auto Show isn’t the 7-Series-aping mega sedan that we were expecting, but it does pack enough technologies, premium materials and innovations to be worthy of a new BMW flagship. The concept is the BMW Vision Future Luxury, and as its name suggests it hints at what’s to come from the German automaker. For fans of Cliffs Notes, what’s to come is efficient design, lightweight construction, vehicle electrification, and an advanced interface.

Efficient Design
    The design of the Vision Future Luxury is an evolution of the look we first saw on last year’s Gran Lusso Coupe, which BMW built to mark the start of a partnership with Italian design house Pininfarina. The front is dominated by the car’s grille, which looks to be bigger than any previous BMW grille we’ve seen. We can also see slit-like laser headlights, below which sit a pair of air curtains.

Moving rearward, a coupe-like profile and sloping trunk lid significantly reduce drag and work in conjunction with tautly sculpted exterior surfaces that help channel air. Other elements include an air breather system at the rear of the front wheel arches, a C-pillar with internal air channeling, and openings in the rear apron which vent air from the rear wheel arches. The final touch is organic LED (OLED) elements for the tail-lights that pave the way for a completely new treatment of the typical BMW L-shaped lights.

OLEDs consist of wafer-thin organic semiconductor layers positioned between two electrodes. The light-emitting polymer layer is roughly 400 times thinner than a human hair and do not require reflectors in order to produce the desired broad light dispersion, thus they can open up completely new ways of using light in and around the vehicle.

Lightweight Construction
    BMW says the Vision Future Luxury has been developed using lightweight principles originally developed for its eco-friendly i range of vehicles, although the automaker doesn’t go into great detail yet. We do know that carbon fiber is a key material in the construction of the concept. The lightweight stuff is visible in the doors, under the seats and the shortened B-pillar. A full B-pillar as used in the past is dispensed with, as the carbon construction allows the seat frames to be integrated into the load-bearing structure. Combined with suicide-style rear doors, the lack of a full B-pillar allows for a wide opening for passengers getting into the rear of the car.

There are further expressions of innovative design, though. For example, the specific geometry and functions of an individual component are created from one and the same layered composite structure, comprising many different levels and materials. In the cabin, for example, an initial base layer of fine carbon fabric is followed by a functional level featuring user interface components, control and display interfaces and lighting functions, which in turn is followed by a further structural, load-bearing layer of aluminum for additional strength. Finally, the top layers comprise the premium materials one expects in a luxury car such as wood and leather. Specific materials found in the Vision Future Luxury concept include aniline leather, lime wood and silk carpet.

This principle is expected to feature in a new modular platform BMW is developing for its future models, sized from the 3-Series up. The first recipient of the new platform is expected to be the next-generation 7-Series, due in time for the 2016 model year.

More at link

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 8,770 Times in 5,645 Posts

Re: BMW Vision Future Luxury Concept: 2014 Beijing Auto Show

Looks good. I suspect this is the market the $100k+ Cadillac was probably going for.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

So, we're pretty much looking at the next generation 7-Series, not a larger sedan. I swear these automotive media people are making **** up because they can't find any juicy inside news.

I'm not crazy about the exterior, but I do LOVE the interior, though.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 8,770 Times in 5,645 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nruggiero View Post
    So, we're pretty much looking at the next generation 7-Series, not a larger sedan. I swear these automotive media people are making **** up because they can't find any juicy inside news.

I'm not crazy about the exterior, but I do LOVE the interior, though.
    I love both. I don't know if a "9-series" would be bigger, necessarily.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) F14CRAZY's Avatar
    Thanks

It looks good but those grills are waaaay too big
    '07 Subaru Forester 2.5X 5MT. Bought new. 197k miles. '05 Dodge Durango Limited Hemi AWD. Mom bought new. 102k miles. '74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible. 455-4/7.5L. '89 Buick Reatta. 3800 SII L67/F40 six speed swap to be completed someday. Wife's: '07 Subaru Forester XT. World Rally Blue Mica.

'87 BMW K75c. '87 Kawasaki 650SX. '85 Bayliner Capri 1952. '71 Chris Craft Coho 33'. '70? Amphicat 6x6 AATV.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to F14CRAZY For This Useful Post:

chinamonty (04-19-2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 680 Posts

That's amazing looking. It could preview the next 7, but it's packing enough juice to be a 9 series.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bmwboy2007 For This Useful Post:

johnstarnes (04-20-2014)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 1.21 giggawatts's Avatar
    Thanks

Interior is ribbed for her pleasure!
    strange things are afoot at the circle k.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

If the production 7-Series were to be this sleek, it'd be more relevant to my personal radar. At present the S-Class is the luxo barge standard, and the Panamera/Quattroporte are the sport luxo sedan cars to buy. The Jaguar is a blend of the two, and that leaves me with the A8 and 7-Series, which feel nearly invisible. Brilliant cars, but it'd be hard to justify them over the aforementioned vehicles. The Lexus LS and Hyundai Equus are almost a rung down in reality.

So really this SHOULD be 98% what the real 7-Series will look like. Whether or not it is remains to be seen. But IMO the 7-Series should be a German XJ much like the 7-Series was 15 years ago. Business-like, very German (to the Jag's very British-ness), but a bit sportier/edgier than the S-Class.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,070 Times in 1,900 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Cadillac CT6

Looks very evolutionary and a safely designed concept

14. The Following User Says Thank You to dslay04 For This Useful Post:

johnstarnes (04-20-2014)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,070 Times in 1,900 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Cadillac CT6

After looking at more picture of it on motortrend , I feel like BMW did a sedan version of the Ceil. Especially without the B Pillar and the coach doors

Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Equinox

That's a beautiful design inside and especially out, not to mention great technologies. I hope the new big caddy will be prepared to compete with something close from the Bavarians.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 665 Posts

The steering wheel looks like it got a flat. It's an attractive vehicle. But it looks to me like they were trying very hard to look exotic and just came out looking like --- well --- a Bimmer. And like all Bimmers, it's attractive but just doesn't blow me away.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,749 Times in 2,430 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Wow, I like it.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,335 Times in 4,568 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

I really like the profile, but dislike the front. The headlights look too small......

5 years ago this would've debuted at the NY Auto Show, the world is really changing.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,057 Times in 2,109 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    I love both. I don't know if a "9-series" would be bigger, necessarily.
    IMHO, the 9-series will be somewhere between the highest 7-series Individual and the Rolls-Ryoce Ghost.
    So, probably a $200-275,000 car.
    Last edited by mgescuro; 04-19-2014 at 11:05 PM.

21. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information