Beijing 2014: Honda Spirior Concept

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Beijing 2014: Honda Spirior Concept

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ausrutherford's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus

Beijing 2014: Honda Spirior Concept

Honda Spirior Concept debuts on the Beijing Auto Show
    BY TYCHO DE FEIJTER
    APRIL 23, 2014
    Car News China

The Honda Spirior Concept debuted on the 2014 Beijing Auto Show. The Spirior Concept previews the next-generation Honda Spirior sedan that will be launched on the China car market in 2015. The current Honda Spirior is known as Acura TSX in North America and as Honda Accord (8th gen) in Europe and Japan.

Have sales for GM not seen in Hidden Content ? Hidden Content

Go Tigers!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Re: Beijing 2014: Honda Spirior Concept

So Honda is continuing with a dual-Accord approach. Granted, VW decided to move in a similar direction with a dual-Passat strategy, but I think Ford and GM's philosophy of a single Fusion and Malibu would work better for Honda as well. If the Mondeo's size works in Europe and NA, I would think the same would be true of a similarly sized Accord. Maybe it has something to do with Honda being able to sell the NA Accord as the Inspire in Japan and somewhat upscale (margins, margins, margins).

Alternatively, I suppose they could've used this to replace the once great-selling TSX and TL with this, calling this the TL but giving it the overall quality necessary to compete with the A4 crowd. With the right features and SH-AWD as an option, it'd work fine against the A4 or 3-Series in both Europe and NA, despite the NA 3-Series being packaged as more upscale than in Europe.
    Last edited by Amphibian; 04-24-2014 at 10:36 PM.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Does GM have a single Malibu? Malibu isn't sold in Europe is it, that is left to the Regal.

Honda is constrained somewhat by having 2 JV partners in China, and both want a product but they can't be the same. Hence the 2 different Accords. VW is the same way.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tentacles View Post
    Does GM have a single Malibu? Malibu isn't sold in Europe is it, that is left to the Regal.

Honda is constrained somewhat by having 2 JV partners in China, and both want a product but they can't be the same. Hence the 2 different Accords. VW is the same way.
    The 2013 Chevrolet Malibu was to be a global Chevrolet sedan, replacing Malibus and Epicas around the world under a single product. The Opel Insignia is it's own thing, yes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 965 Posts
    My Ride
    です

But I thought the TSX is dead and the TLX is meant to replace it and the TL.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ausrutherford's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus

Quote Originally Posted by Butz View Post
    It is. This would be a reworked TLX, moving it away from being the TSX.
    Have sales for GM not seen in Hidden Content ? Hidden Content

Go Tigers!!!

Thanks

Honda Australia had a very successful business model in selling both Accord sedans. Much speculation has been made on whether the 'Euro' model (which would be the above car) will continue in Australia.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Butz View Post
    It pretty much is. I think on C&D or somewhere I read that there's question as to the future of the international Accord (our TSX), because I don't think that Accord has not done well in Europe. The ILX was basically supposed to replace the TSX in a large way, but consumers kept buying the TSX while it was still available alongside the ILX, which was much less power, smaller, but not much cheaper. So I think Acura has extended the TSX's availability (there's a 2014 TSX on Acura's site) and is hesitant to cancel the TSX altogether since the ILX has not been as successful as they probably hoped. Maybe that plays a part in why the TL replacement, the TLX, will offer the latest version of the TSX's 2.4L. Acura completely messed up their car lineup. They dropped the RSX despite its success because, as I recall it, they wanted to be more upmarket and the RSX didn't fit the mold - which has its own sad irony as premium brands reach down into such markets. The TL sold brilliantly and the controversial redesign ruined its sales figures to this day. The TSX, both the original and the current one, was consistently a good seller and is being let go in favor of the ILX at the low end and the TLX at the upper end. All the while the RL/RLX is flopping each month in sales.

They had better hope the ILX's sales start increasing some more and the new TLX is a smash success.

Quote Originally Posted by from oz View Post
    Honda Australia had a very successful business model in selling both Accord sedans. Much speculation has been made on whether the 'Euro' model (which would be the above car) will continue in Australia.
    In your opinion, how would the NA-market Accord fare in the Australian market? It's certainly Commodore-large and conservatively styled, but would traditional buyers avoid it?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,749 Times in 2,430 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

This looks pretty good but IMO could do without the garish chrome low on the side of it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tentacles View Post

Well, they did sell the Malibu.

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    It pretty much is. I think on C&D or somewhere I read that there's question as to the future of the international Accord (our TSX), because I don't think that Accord has not done well in Europe.
    I have heard and wondered that as well. It's also a shrinking segment, so not much for Honda to gain in it. Nissan left it long ago and focused on crossovers.

Honda just introduced a new Civic Tourer wagon to Europe. There hadn't been any Civic wagon since the 6th-gen/late '90s design, I believe. I also wonder if its return is partly motivated by the possibility of the Accord being discontinued in Europe, and thus the wagon (i.e. TSX Sport Wagon) as well.

In your opinion, how would the NA-market Accord fare in the Australian market? It's certainly Commodore-large and conservatively styled, but would traditional buyers avoid it?
    Do you mean on its own? They've had the same style Accord as us for years, including the 6th-gen when Japan, North America, and Europe each had a different model. With the 7th-gen they sold both types of Accord, the TSX-type being the "Accord Euro" and the larger NA-market version as just Accord.

On that note, I haven't heard anything on whether there will be a new Honda Inspire. The Inspire was the Acura Vigor/TL until 2003 when it became the same as the 7th-gen Accord, and then 8th-gen. It appears Honda sells the new NA Accord Hybrid/Plug-in as an Accord in Japan, so don't know if they're continuing it, returning the TL as Inspire, etc.
    "Here's to Mr. Iacocca and his failed experiment, the DeLorean!" - The Office

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cdp326 View Post
    Well, they did sell the Malibu.

I have heard and wondered that as well. It's also a shrinking segment, so not much for Honda to gain in it. Nissan left it long ago and focused on crossovers.

Honda just introduced a new Civic Tourer wagon to Europe. There hadn't been any Civic wagon since the 6th-gen/late '90s design, I believe. I also wonder if its return is partly motivated by the possibility of the Accord being discontinued in Europe, and thus the wagon (i.e. TSX Sport Wagon) as well.

Do you mean on its own? They've had the same style Accord as us for years, including the 6th-gen when Japan, North America, and Europe each had a different model. With the 7th-gen they sold both types of Accord, the TSX-type being the "Accord Euro" and the larger NA-market version as just Accord.

On that note, I haven't heard anything on whether there will be a new Honda Inspire. The Inspire was the Acura Vigor/TL until 2003 when it became the same as the 7th-gen Accord, and then 8th-gen. It appears Honda sells the new NA Accord Hybrid/Plug-in as an Accord in Japan, so don't know if they're continuing it, returning the TL as Inspire, etc.
    If I were Honda, I'd dutifully watch how the new Mondeo performs in Europe (from what I recall, it's been one of the best selling cars there in the past), and I think the Passat would be a decent seller for VW. Those are probably the main players outside of the Citroen C5 or Opel Insignia. But the current Euro Accord (and NA Accord, for that matter) do not offer the wide range of choices that these vehicles have offered, nor their style and in some ways even the materials and refinement either. We'll see. I'm still in favor of Honda creating a single global Accord, but Honda NA may oppose this seeing as how at least some space in the Accord would have to be lost in favor of a more globally acceptable size. Sleek roofline aside, I don't know that people complain about space in the Fusion, but maybe as the Mondeo it will be too big? Idk.

Speaking of the Inspire, I recently wondered about that as well. The Accord Hybrid is sold as such in Japan, so maybe the Inspire is done for? With hybrids seemingly being popular in Japan especially the more premium I look the NA Accord might just be the successor to the Inspire and Honda decided to go hybrid-only. In fact, I wanna say I read somewhere that the Accord Hybrid in Japan is considerably more expensive than the Camry Hybrid. The sad oddity has occured with the Legend. The RLX has been on sale here in the US for what, about a year? I believe they have yet to reveal the Honda Legend for Japanese consumption, and I would've thought it'd do better in Japan than the RLX does here. Maybe not, and maybe they're waiting for the Sport Hybrid-AWDwhateveritis to be ready.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amphibian View Post
    If I were Honda, I'd dutifully watch how the new Mondeo performs in Europe (from what I recall, it's been one of the best selling cars there in the past), and I think the Passat would be a decent seller for VW. Those are probably the main players outside of the Citroen C5 or Opel Insignia. But the current Euro Accord (and NA Accord, for that matter) do not offer the wide range of choices that these vehicles have offered, nor their style and in some ways even the materials and refinement either. We'll see. I'm still in favor of Honda creating a single global Accord, but Honda NA may oppose this seeing as how at least some space in the Accord would have to be lost in favor of a more globally acceptable size. Sleek roofline aside, I don't know that people complain about space in the Fusion, but maybe as the Mondeo it will be too big? Idk.

Speaking of the Inspire, I recently wondered about that as well. The Accord Hybrid is sold as such in Japan, so maybe the Inspire is done for? With hybrids seemingly being popular in Japan especially the more premium I look the NA Accord might just be the successor to the Inspire and Honda decided to go hybrid-only. In fact, I wanna say I read somewhere that the Accord Hybrid in Japan is considerably more expensive than the Camry Hybrid. The sad oddity has occured with the Legend. The RLX has been on sale here in the US for what, about a year? I believe they have yet to reveal the Honda Legend for Japanese consumption, and I would've thought it'd do better in Japan than the RLX does here. Maybe not, and maybe they're waiting for the Sport Hybrid-AWDwhateveritis to be ready.
    From what I understand a lot of sales of the segment are fleet registrations, which if Honda there is anything like they are here when it comes to not doing fleet, probably means they don't really crack into the market that much. Buyers who want practicality are going for crossovers/MPVs, and others are going for the better image/resale of the entry-level BMW/Mercedes/etc. models. Guess that isn't really dissimilar from here either, but the same size of vehicle has always been and continues to be more popular here.

Think the Passat is the best-seller, but even VW didn't put a lot into the new one as it's only a refreshed version of the old. If Honda doesn't pull out like Nissan did, I could see offering the NA Accord for a few sales. Not unlike the Mazda 6's return to a single global version.

I hadn't realized/forgot the Legend wasn't out there yet.

I didn't know until this story that the Euro Accord/TSX was sold as the Spirior in China. Perhaps the Spirior will replace or be sold as the Inspire as well? It does look much larger than the TSX, and the C-pillar with window seems sleeker than the regular Accord. The six-light design seems unusual for Honda, can't remember them doing that in some time if ever; more like the old Nissan Teana and new Altima/Teana.
    Last edited by cdp326; 04-26-2014 at 09:47 PM.
    "Here's to Mr. Iacocca and his failed experiment, the DeLorean!" - The Office

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cdp326 View Post
    From what I understand a lot of sales of the segment are fleet registrations, which if Honda there is anything like they are here when it comes to not doing fleet, probably means they don't really crack into the market that much. Buyers who want practicality are going for crossovers/MPVs, and others are going for the better image/resale of the entry-level BMW/Mercedes/etc. models. Guess that isn't really dissimilar from here either, but the same size of vehicle has always been and continues to be more popular here.

Think the Passat is the best-seller, but even VW didn't put a lot into the new one as it's only a refreshed version of the old. If Honda doesn't pull out like Nissan did, I could see offering the NA Accord for a few sales. Not unlike the Mazda 6's return to a single global version.

I hadn't realized/forgot the Legend wasn't out there yet.

I didn't know until this story that the Euro Accord/TSX was sold as the Spirior in China. Perhaps the Spirior will replace or be sold as the Inspire as well? It does look much larger than the TSX, and the C-pillar with window seems sleeker than the regular Accord. The six-light design seems unusual for Honda, can't remember them doing that in some time if ever; more like the old Nissan Teana and new Altima/Teana.
    Yeah, that's true.

VW called it right with the Passat from a financial perspective. Creating a whole new car on a fresh platform and all would've been kinda a waste given the current economic climate in parts of western Europe. And the Eurasian Accord is aging, last introduced in 2007 as a 2008 AFAIK. The thing is, none of the Japanese brands have found much more than a niche in Europe; despite the phenomenal global sales of Toyota, Nissan, and Honda, none of them have much of a footprint in Europe.

OTOH, if they are still confident enough on the Spirior in China (and maybe Japan, Australia), then they might as well still sell it in Europe as gravy sales since the car already exists and they probably wouldn't have to spend too much on certifications and whatnot for Europe sales.

16. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information