Beijing 2014: Baojun 730 MPV debuts

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Beijing 2014: Baojun 730 MPV debuts

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,033 Times in 997 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Beijing 2014: Baojun 730 MPV debuts

Wuling Baojun 730 MPV debuts on the Beijing Auto Show
    Published on April 23, 2014 by Joey Wang

The new Wuling Baojun 730 MPV debuted on the Beijing Auto Show, the first MPV under the Baojun brand. The Baojun 730 will be launched on the China car market in Q3, rice will start around 70.000 yuan and end around 120.000 yuan.

Dash very luxurious for the segment. Nice materials and a large screen.

The Baojun MPV is powered by the same engines at the Baojun 630 sedan and the new Baojun 610 hatchback: a 112hp 1.5 and a 143hp 1.8, mated to a 5-speed manual or a 6-speed automatic.

ARTICLE CONTINUES AT CARNEWSCHINA.COM

Courtesy of CarNewsChina.com. Visit the link above for additional images

"La vita come un albero di Natale..c' sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

cad1cts (04-25-2014),t-rex (04-25-2014)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Re: Beijing 2014: Baojun 730 MPV debuts

What, not even a standard LT1?

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

This isn't a bad looking vehicle. I know the Chinese like MPV style products, so I hope it sells well for them.

I know the article says that the interior is nice for it's class, but undobutedly this is offering is a bit on the Spartan side of the equation --- which it should be for the price they're selling it at.

Though this is off topic, seeing this attractive Baojun 730 MPV makes me wonder about other parts of the GM Empire. Specifically, it makes me wonder if Chevrolet's approach in markets like Europe should have followed what Baojun in China and Chevy in India (and Chevy other markets) has been doing separate and apart from more "mature markets" like North America.

Though the decision has already been made, I continue to think that GM could have worked through their problems with Chevy in Europe before deciding to pull the plug (just as VW, Hyundai/Kia, PSA, and others do). What's done is done, but analysts have argued that the problem with Chevrolet's products in Europe was that they were approaching the price and quality of Opel's products --- creating both a perception and price-point problem in selling both products in the same market for similar money.

But what if Chevy's offerings in Europe were a bit more "no-frills" along the lines of Dacia, Perodua, Proton, Baojun, or some of Chevy's other products in India, China, and other world markets?

The new Chevy Optra in India is a rebadged Baojun 630 sedan. It's handsome enough and certainly has a bit of "cheap n' cheerful" appeal. Maybe in order to have succeeded in Europe, GM needed to stay closer to their original bargain-Daewoo roots rather than put every car on an expensive, global platform. Either that, or allow for "regional differences" which would have permitted Chevrolet cars in Europe to look the same as other world products, but have different specs, features, and materials (i.e., a Cruze for Europe that was based on the same platform and looked just like the Cruze sold in other markets, but had "lesser grade" interior plastics, fewer engine offerings, or not as many features to drive the price up to Opel-levels).

Of course all of this is post-mortem, but with some unique, attractive products coming out of GM's operations in China and India, and with Opel comfortably situated as GM's mid-market brand, you have to almost wonder if they took the wrong approach in Europe. For all the talk of "giving European customers what they want" and "chasing refined European tastes", maybe there was actually room in that market for a decent, affordable, and reliable set of wheels for little money.

Monday morning quarterbacking aside, this isn't to say it would have been utterly simple. I'm sure there would have been safety/crash-standard issues, emissions regulations, and related engineering/logistical cost-factors to consider (you just can't dump a car designed for Chinese or Indian regulations on the European market and call it a day). But with vast engineering resources, I'm sure most these obstacles could have been overcome.

With all of this said, if GM ever decides to dust off the Chevrolet badge for mass-market products in Western/Central Europe again, may be they need to look toward China, India, and other markets for inspiration.

New Chevy Optra for the Indian market, based on the Baojun 630 sedan. Images courtesy of AutoEvolution:

Last edited by nadepalma; 04-25-2014 at 11:25 AM.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ausrutherford's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus

Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma View Post
    This isn't a bad looking vehicle. I know the Chinese like MPV style products, so I hope it sells well for them.

I know the article says that the interior is nice for it's class, but undobutedly this is offering is a bit on the Spartan side of the equation --- which it should be for the price they're selling it at.

Though this is off topic, seeing this attractive Baojun 730 MPV makes me wonder about other parts of the GM Empire. Specifically, it makes me wonder if Chevrolet's approach in markets like Europe should have followed what Baojun in China and Chevy in India (and Chevy other markets) has been doing separate and apart from more "mature markets" like North America.

Though the decision has already been made, I continue to think that GM could have worked through their problems with Chevy in Europe before deciding to pull the plug (just as VW, Hyundai/Kia, PSA, and others do). What's done is done, but analysts have argued that the problem with Chevrolet's products in Europe was that they were approaching the price and quality of Opel's products --- creating both a perception and price-point problem in selling both products in the same market for similar money.

But what if Chevy's offerings in Europe were a bit more "no-frills" along the lines of Dacia, Perodua, Proton, Baojun, or some of Chevy's other products in India, China, and other world markets?

The new Chevy Optra in India is a rebadged Baojun 630 sedan. It's handsome enough and certainly has a bit of "cheap n' cheerful" appeal. Maybe in order to have succeeded in Europe, GM needed to stay closer to their original bargain-Daewoo roots rather than put every car on an expensive, global platform. Either that, or allow for "regional differences" which would have permitted Chevrolet cars in Europe to look the same as other world products, but have different specs, features, and materials (i.e., a Cruze for Europe that was based on the same platform and looked just like the Cruze sold in other markets, but had "lesser grade" interior plastics, fewer engine offerings, or not as many features to drive the price up to Opel-levels).

Of course all of this is post-mortem, but with some unique, attractive products coming out of GM's operations in China and India, and with Opel comfortably situated as GM's mid-market brand, you have to almost wonder if they took the wrong approach in Europe. For all the talk of "giving European customers what they want" and "chasing refined European tastes", maybe there was actually room in that market for a decent, affordable, and reliable set of wheels for little money.

Monday morning quarterbacking aside, this isn't to say it would have been utterly simple. I'm sure there would have been safety/crash-standard issues, emissions regulations, and related engineering/logistical cost-factors to consider (you just can't dump a car designed for Chinese or Indian regulations on the European market and call it a day). But with vast engineering resources, I'm sure most these obstacles could have been overwome.

If GM ever decides to dust off the Chevrolet badge for mass-market products in Western/Central Europe again, may be they need to look toward China, India, and other markets for inspiration.

New Chevy Optra for the Indian market, based on the Baojun 630 sedan. Images courtesy of AutoEvolution:

Chevy doesn't need another vehicle to muddle their lineup, but they will do it anyway....
    Have sales for GM not seen in Hidden Content ? Hidden Content

Go Tigers!!!

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
    Chevy doesn't need another vehicle to muddle their lineup, but they will do it anyway....
    Chevy's product lineup in Europe will be virtually non-existant after 2015. The only products they'll sell in Western/Central Europe are "unique" limited volume products like the Corvette and the Camaro. Most Eastern European markets and Russia won't be affected.

My post was just a post-mortem on the strategy they undrertook that lead to pulling the plug; now that they're existing the market, they won't have a lineup to muddle-up and my criticisms won't make any difference.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ausrutherford's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus

Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma View Post
    Chevy's product lineup in Europe will be virtually non-existant after 2015. The only products they'll sell in Western/Central Europe are "unique" limited volume products like the Corvette and the Camaro. Most Eastern European markets and Russia won't be affected.

My post was just a post-mortem on the strategy they undrertook that lead to pulling the plug; now that they're existing the market, they won't have a lineup to muddle-up and my criticisms won't make any difference.
    I mean their global lineup. They already use the Wuling Hongguang as the Enjoy, but I imagine they will try to get this thing out there as well.

There is simply still too much complexity to the global Lineup.
    Have sales for GM not seen in Hidden Content ? Hidden Content

Go Tigers!!!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 mchicha's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    a car

GM loves cheap.

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

There are plenty of Chinese who want a cheap car.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information