2013 Concours d'Elegance Of America Continues To Amaze

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Concours d'Elegance Of America Continues To Amaze

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 Premium Member GMfan1111's Avatar
    in a undisclosed bunker somewhere in the metro detroit area
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Buick Verano Turbo

1931 Duesenberg Model J Tourster Derham and 1934 Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Boat Tail Speedster Win Best In Show
    www.gminsidenews.com
    July 30, 2013
    By: Carl Malek

The 2013 Concours D'Elegance Of America at the Inn of St Johns in Plymouth Michigan last weekend was a visual reminder of how much the collector car hobby has grown, with over 374 cars on display for the large crowds on hand despite occasional bouts of rain which did little to dampen the festive spirit of the event. A highlight of this years event was a focus on electric vehicles with modern entries such as the Nissan Leaf, Tesla Model S, and The Cadillac ELR sharing the stage alongside their ancestors from Detroit Electric and other period manufacturers

When all was said and done, Best in Show honors went to two vehicles with each representing America and Europe respectively. The 2013 Best in Show for the American category went to a 1931 Duesenberg Model J Tourster Derham owned by Joseph and Margie Cassini III. This latest win is a repeat performance for the Cassini's who won best in show at last years event with a 1933 Chrysler Imperial Phaeton which featured Lebaron bodied coachwork.

Meanwhile, the Best in Show European category was awarded to Roger Willbanks and his 1934 Alfa Romeo 8C 2300 Boat tail Speedster. This vintage Alfa was among the crowd favorites, and it looked spectacular especially its classy black paint which was enhanced somewhat by the drops of water that were on the car from an earlier bout of rain.

Thank you all for following this third year of Concours coverage and I look forward to sharing this wonderful event with all of you again next year.
    Last edited by GMfan1111; 07-30-2013 at 09:12 PM.
    “The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair”

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools".
    - Douglas Adams -

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Re: 2013 Concours d'Elegance Of America Continues To Amaze

I would love to have attended that!

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    1999 Ford Fairmont Wagon

I just can't get over the difference in size between those two vehicles!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,333 Times in 4,568 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

It's amazing how the Duesenberg can strongly convey a sense of luxury and power in its style 80+ years after it was designed. Many modern luxury vehicles can't project such opulence and certainly don't age as well.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 FUTURE_OF_GM's Avatar
    Thanks

One of our cars took a first place as well.

Thanks
    My Ride
    GM V-8's

1920's and early 1930's had some of the most amazingly crafted cars of all time. Too bad so many manufacturers went out of business during the Depression.
    1968 Buick Skylark (Buick 350/4)
    1972 Chevrolet Corvette (350 LT-1)
    2001 Chevrolet Tahoe LS (5.3 liter)
    1983 Chevrolet C/10 Silverado (350 Goodwrench)

Former: 1989 GMC Suburban R1500 (5.7 liter)
    1969 Buick Skylark Custom (Buick 350/2)
    1971 Buick Riviera (Buick 455)
    1971 Buick Electra 225 (Buick 455)

Without Buick, GM never would have existed.

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride

Does anyone know who owns the Duesenberg name now? Would be kind of cool if GM got its hands on it and makes a Rolls Royce competitor under the Duesenberg moniker! Though I'm not sure how much the brand resonates with the average public anymore..... GM can re-educate Joe Average to know what "it's a Duesey" really means!!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Does anyone know who owns the Duesenberg name now? Would be kind of cool if GM got its hands on it and makes a Rolls Royce competitor under the Duesenberg moniker! Though I'm not sure how much the brand resonates with the average public anymore..... GM can re-educate Joe Average to know what "it's a Duesey" really means!!!!!
    As much as it pains me to say it, GM would be far better off to invest in Cadillac than to pull a VW/Bugatti move that revives Duesenberg.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

Bring on the Glamour concept!!!
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

It's interesting that there is reportedly "growth" in the Collector Car Hobby in spite of other threads reporting a diminishing "love affair" with the automobile by the youngest generation of drivers (i.e. fewer obtaining driver's licenses compared to past decades and fewer miles being driven, etc.) Hopefully, this surge in interest in Collector Cars will yield greater character in new automobiles coming to market!

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by AMcA View Post
    As much as it pains me to say it, GM would be far better off to invest in Cadillac than to pull a VW/Bugatti move that revives Duesenberg.
    True, I was think more of a long term thing. Possibly in 10 to 20 years once Cadillac has re-established itself. Otherwise I agree with you that now is NOT the time for such a folly.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassyEldo View Post
    It's interesting that there is reportedly "growth" in the Collector Car Hobby in spite of other threads reporting a diminishing "love affair" with the automobile by the youngest generation of drivers (i.e. fewer obtaining driver's licenses compared to past decades and fewer miles being driven, etc.) Hopefully, this surge in interest in Collector Cars will yield greater character in new automobiles coming to market!
    Probably the surge is the aging baby boomers starting to retire and now have time for that dream, collectible car they've always wanted...

5.3 Liter Vortec V8 FUTURE_OF_GM's Avatar
    Thanks

The (collector car) company I work for has been breaking internal records for years. We were virtually un-phased by even the European meltdown.

My theory is: The industry's continual march to homogeny is fueling the fire for collector cars. That's not even considering new cars as a depreciating asset.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

Never knew the origins of "it's a doozy" (how I always thought it was spelled).
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Well. I'm trying. This is my 14 year old in her 49 Pilot House Dodge. We've got two years to get her going.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Pontiac GTO

Here's the truck the day we picked it up. Yes, it drove onto the trailer. Not quite Concours d'Elegance Of America material, but still cool and fun.

If your interested we have a build log going on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/Kaitlyns49Dodge
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DaJudge; 07-31-2013 at 05:39 PM.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information