Xf

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xf

jry
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jry's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 BMW 740Li-X, 2014 Expy EL

Xf

I did get a chance to drive a Pre Owned RWD XF. A little small but awfully nice. Booking an appointment to try the both cars in AWD. However, the dealer Rep swears that you don't need AWD due to Jaguars advanced winter weather driving mode.
    85 cars since 1975....
    Good night and good luck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,043 Times in 2,104 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Re: Xf

One really doesn't "need" AWD, per se. But it's always a nice to have. And it's virtually a requirement in this class to at least offer it as an option.

I didn't think the XF was small. It's pretty big for it's class. It could stand to be a little wider. And Jaguar can improve on the hokey interior details (rear cup holders), but other than that, it's a fantastic car.
    Oh... and I don't like the LED accent lights on the headlamps. It looks like a designed sneeze when penning the design.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

AWD on a RWD sedan, to me at least, seems like a compromise for not much better traction. It will appeal to the weak minded.

Get the RWD model, an extra set of rims and some Blizzaks, you'll be better off. Amd if you dont live in snow, who cares.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

A set of 4 winter tires with modern stability control systems should be sufficient even in Michigan except for deep snow which a car should not be driven in any way. Interestingly enough I found myself looking at XF Supercharged, and XFR's recently because to me the XF is the best mid luxury sedan on the planet. I received an XF for a loaner car when my Range Rover failed to proceed, and I honestly debated just trading the Range Rover in for it right then, and there.
    I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar PHAT-JAY's Avatar
    Thanks

the XF reminds me of the Holden VF Commie with the chrome front, not the SS one.
    IF IT AINT RWD; AND A CHEVY I DONT RIDE IT!!!!!

ALL CHEVY'S NEED TO BE RWD!!!!!

jry
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro View Post
    One really doesn't "need" AWD, per se. But it's always a nice to have. And it's virtually a requirement in this class to at least offer it as an option.

I didn't think the XF was small. It's pretty big for it's class. It could stand to be a little wider. And Jaguar can improve on the hokey interior details (rear cup holders), but other than that, it's a fantastic car.
    Oh... and I don't like the LED accent lights on the headlamps. It looks like a designed sneeze when penning the design.
    I'm 6'1" and even with the front seats forward a bit, the back seat was cramped.
    i am in Michigan. For the really bad days, i can just drive the Expy. Heck, i drive that in RWD a lot. Had plenty of RWD cars, back in the day. Poor handling ones like the Grand Marquis, Chrysler Cordoba, New Yorker Brougham and the like. None of them had Traction Control or Winter Driving Modes. Frankly, if the car is well balanced, it shouldn't be a big deal.
    I was concerned about the vents opening and closing, electronically. I wonder what happens when those suckers break.
    85 cars since 1975....

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by jry View Post
    I'm 6'1" and even with the front seats forward a bit, the back seat was cramped.
    i am in Michigan. For the really bad days, i can just drive the Expy. Heck, i drive that in RWD a lot. Had plenty of RWD cars, back in the day. Poor handling ones like the Grand Marquis, Chrysler Cordoba, New Yorker Brougham and the like. None of them had Traction Control or Winter Driving Modes. Frankly, if the car is well balanced, it shouldn't be a big deal.
    I was concerned about the vents opening and closing, electronically. I wonder what happens when those suckers break.
    Far more concerning should be the rotary shift knob because the vents not functioning will not prevent forward motion.
    I want a car so violent that the mere thought of full throttle would cause a heart attack. That actually going wide open throttle in would result in nothing less than instant death!
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) t-rex's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Jaguar XF, 2009 Ford Flex

Do you drive from the back seat?

Take it to the dealer and get it fixed. Like I did.

Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    Far more concerning should be the rotary shift knob because the vents not functioning will not prevent forward motion.

Never buy a Jaguar unless you're a "Jaguar" person. If you don't know what a "Jaguar" person is... then you're not one.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,043 Times in 2,104 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

I really like JaguarDrive. It was even designed by Apple. It's nifty and unique.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

I did get a chance to drive a Pre Owned RWD XF. A little small but awfully nice. Booking an appointment to try the both cars in AWD. However, the dealer Rep swears that you don't need AWD due to Jaguars advanced winter weather driving mode.
    How did you find the infotainment interface and overall assembly quality? Both of those unimpressed me with the XF.

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
    How did you find the infotainment interface and overall assembly quality? Both of those unimpressed me with the XF.
    I would encourage an extended test drive because once you truly experience the excellence of the XF those trivial things will soon fade into the background.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Jesda's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,159 Posts
    My Ride
    MX5, STS

AWD is great but snow tires make up the difference.
    My blog: Hidden Content

jry
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex View Post
    Do you drive from the back seat?

Never buy a Jaguar unless you're a "Jaguar" person. If you don't know what a "Jaguar" person is... then you're not one.
    We had a couple of XKEs in the family. Drove at least a couple a year for one week evaluations. Drove them pre Ford and during Ford. I know that they are quirky. Ford did straighten them out a bit. Nonetheless, these days, there is no excuse for quirky cars with annoying problems. The bar is set way too high. Maybe that is the problem. There aren't enough "Jaguar" people out there, willing to dish out 60 plus grand for a quirky car and if that is the way Tata is doing it, then they may as well plan on dishing it off the same way the Brits and Ford did. Today, you can build a car that drives like a Jag and has rock solid reliability and quality.
    85 cars since 1975....

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) t-rex's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Jaguar XF, 2009 Ford Flex

Forgive me for my unapparent levity, jry, but our big blue Kitty has been fairly reliable over the past four years. We've actually no problem with the vents and the shifter knob has only stuck twice — on cold mornings — and then freed itself after the interior warmed up. We've had a few electrical niggles — failed ABS sensor, wonky rear power window, and busted stereo speaker — but the only premature failure was an alternator that packed up a bit early.

Still, I'd take our XF with its warts over any sterile BMW, synthetic Lexus, or hideous Mercedes.

jry
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex View Post
    Forgive me for my unapparent levity, jry, but our big blue Kitty has been fairly reliable over the past four years. We've actually no problem with the vents and the shifter knob has only stuck twice — on cold mornings — and then freed itself after the interior warmed up. We've had a few electrical niggles — failed ABS sensor, wonky rear power window, and busted stereo speaker — but the only premature failure was an alternator that packed up a bit early.

Still, I'd take our XF with its warts over any sterile BMW, synthetic Lexus, or hideous Mercedes.
    Well, i feel better, now that you restated your experience. I was getting the feeling that this was the temperamental Brit car of years gone by. So, Tata hasn't taken the "Jag" out of the car? Or is yours from the Ford years...
    85 cars since 1975....

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information