Wörthersee 2007: VW shows off monster Golf GTI W12 650 concept

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Wörthersee 2007: VW shows off monster Golf GTI W12 650 concept

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 1931Chevy's Avatar
    Thanks

Wörthersee 2007: VW shows off monster Golf GTI W12 650 concept

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/17/w...2-650-concept/

Click for high-res gallery of VW Golf GTI W12 650 concept

var digg_url = 'http://www.digg.com/design/VW_Golf_GTI_W12_650_Concept_With_Video'; It would appear that the Audi TT clubsport was just an appetizer for the fans at the Wörthersee 2007 meet in Austria. Volkswagen has upped the ante by throwing down a stunner: the Golf GTI W12 650 concept. The ultimate GTI in every way, this car has a claimed top speed of 325 km/h -- 201 mph! -- and a 0-100 km/h (62 mph) of 3.7 seconds.

This is a pure show car, so don't go running to your VW dealer waving around a fistful of cash. He won't be able to help you. Too bad, though, as this super Golf dishes out a mammoth 650 horsepower and over 530 ft lbs of torque from the 6.0L biturbo W12 it's got mounted behind the front seats. All that juice flows through a 6-speed automatic to the rear wheels, which are shod in some seriously meaty rubber.

Lower and wider than a stock GTI, the body retains the production car's doors, hood and lights, but otherwise it's all new. A number of intakes and a redesigned C-pillar help feed air to the 12-cylinder behemoth supplying the go-power. To keep the car planted to the tarmac, VW didn't want to use a massive spoiler to generate downforce. As such, the car's carbon-fiber roof acts as a giant diffuser that funnels air under the small spoiler at its trailing edge. In summary, the whole thing is a big exercise in the awesome.
    “We are masters of our own destiny,” he said. “We make our own decisions. And we intend to keep it that way.” Bill Ford May/09
    By Mark Fields
    "Perform or the bank will own us"
    Buying GM cars since 1931Hidden Content
    Hungry ,eat your import

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Re: Wörthersee 2007: VW shows off monster Golf GTI W12 650 concept

That is the ugliest thing I have ever laid eyes on.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

To me it’s a big who cares it won’t be available to us. It’s kinda like John Moss bragging about his GM toybox while we get average cars to drive. I would rather have a company spend it’s precious resources on improving the breed instead of creating dreams that will never come true.
    Last edited by big swede; 05-19-2007 at 06:09 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I saw that today on left lane news. I'm already a fan of the GTI, and I'm also a fan of sticking huge engines where they shouldn't belong, so naturally I loved this. The other site didn't say where the engine was, and I couldn't imagine there was any way they got that W12 in the normal engine bay. I think it looks pretty cool though. And how many GTI's out there have 650hp? It's a shame they won't make even a couple.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mmm...bowtie
    I saw that today on left lane news. I'm already a fan of the GTI, and I'm also a fan of sticking huge engines where they shouldn't belong, so naturally I loved this. The other site didn't say where the engine was, and I couldn't imagine there was any way they got that W12 in the normal engine bay. I think it looks pretty cool though. And how many GTI's out there have 650hp? It's a shame they won't make even a couple.

It is mid-engined.
    "My other ride is your mom"

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 E. Haskell's Avatar
    Thanks

Eww - my dinner just came up.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information