Why It Failed: 2006-2011 Mercedes-Benz R-Class - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why It Failed: 2006-2011 Mercedes-Benz R-Class

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Re: Why It Failed: 2006-2011 Mercedes-Benz R-Class

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    Without going too far off course...

Yes, there are people who buy minivans for whatever reason.
    Yes, there is a market for heavily optioned minivans.
    I think there are plenty of people who need a minivan or even don't NEED a minivan who will buy them, sure.

Minivans are bought for a utilitarian purpose; their entire purpose is to maximize efficiency. R-Class, in that regard, had several things going against it.
    1) It wasn't really a minivan; if it was, it was a terrible one (poor space efficiency=not maximum possible efficiency=not utilitarian)
    2) It was expensive (more expensive than it had to be=not utilitarian)

Luxury cars inherently aren't utilitarian. Minivans are utilitarian. Do people with minivans maybe like luxury? Probably. T&C has a premium feel to it, so sure, why not? Is it out of the realm of possibilities that wealthy people will buy minivans? Of course not.

Bigger families need more vehicle. Most vehicle for a family? A minivan.
    Vulnerability to poverty increases with family size.
    A decent number of people who buy minivans probably aren't laughing all the way to the bank every pay period.
    I agree with that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Michael_S's Avatar
    Thanks

Just to back up what others have said:

A fully optioned Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna, or Chrysler Town & Country will run near $50,000. But it will carry a ton of stuff, get fuel economy somewhere in the 20s on a long trip using regular fuel, and won't cost that much for standard maintenance, parts, and repairs. Plus, of course, rightly or wrongly Honda and Toyota are perceived as the two most reliable automotive brands in the US. Chrysler is not, but the Town & Country is also much cheaper than an equivalent options Sienna or Odyssey.

The R-class was more expensive, much smaller inside than the minivans, does not have power remote-operated sliding doors, had notably lower fuel economy even with a V6 and required premium fuel, and any maintenance that involves Mercedes parts will cost an unholy fortune. Mercedes also has a poor reputation for reliability. Subjectively, it also manages to be less visually attractive than any of the traditional minivans on the market right now, and none of them are beautiful.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,600 Times in 1,048 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

The r class failed because it was ugly as it released and expensive. They eventually subsidized lease dealed their way out of the inventory.

The restyle did improve the front end but by the segment lost favor to CUV s and the competition got even more competitive.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

[QUOTE=Tone;3800954]I think the demographics of minivan purchases at the peak looked more promising. I remember reading articles of people whose kids grew up but kept buying minivans because they liked them. They tended towards loaded T&Cs and the like, which seemed to indicate they're might be a market for some kind of luxury minivan.[QUOTE]

No they don't. They down size and get a car with no back seat(and usually no roof)
    I have seen the boobs. And they is us.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) t-rex's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Jaguar XF, 2009 Ford Flex

It's SO cute watching you peasants postulate theories...

The Mercedes R-class WAS NOT A FAILURE. Drive through any upper-class area (and I said upper class, not upper income) and you'll see them on every corner. It didn't sell in great numbers because it only appealed to a rather narrow buyer demographic: upper-class families with a lot of kids.

The white-trash-with-money element — or as I call them, the "Money Boo Boo" set — don't buy cars like this; hence the prevalence of trashy, vulgar heaps like the Escalade and BMW X5 in those equally vulgar "gated communities" and other laughably pretentious residential environs.

That, and the Ford Flex became the darling in snoot circles...

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to t-rex For This Useful Post:

Amphibian (04-21-2014),Envoy4Life (04-22-2014),mgescuro (04-21-2014),nruggiero (04-21-2014),roy219 (04-21-2014),sdotjoe (04-21-2014),sfbreh (04-21-2014)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,866 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex View Post
    It's SO cute watching you peasants postulate theories...

The Mercedes R-class WAS NOT A FAILURE. Drive through any upper-class area (and I said upper class, not upper income) and you'll see them on every corner. It didn't sell in great numbers because it only appealed to a rather narrow buyer demographic: upper-class families with a lot of kids.

The white-trash-with-money element — or as I call them, the "Money Boo Boo" set — don't buy cars like this; hence the prevalence of trashy, vulgar heaps like the Escalade and BMW X5 in those equally vulgar "gated communities" and other laughably pretentious residential environs.

That, and the Ford Flex became the darling in snoot circles...
    The R-Class only sold about 1/3 of the planned sales, when production ended no replacement took it's place - that's a failure to most auto companies.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,178 Times in 907 Posts
    My Ride
    CityBus Lafayette; Trek 7200

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    When's the last time you saw someone wealthy driving a minivan?
    This morning.
    My modes of transportation: CityBus Greater Lafayette, rental cars (usually GM), bicycling, and walking.
    "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them." -Romans 1:18-19 (NKJV)

jry
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jry's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 BMW 740Li-X, 2014 Expy EL

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    1.) Looks.
    2.) Price.

And a complete ripoff of the Chrysler Pacifica. If you'll recall, the Chrysler guys were really ticked about this.
    85 cars since 1975....
    Good night and good luck.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jry View Post
    And a complete ripoff of the Chrysler Pacifica. If you'll recall, the Chrysler guys were really ticked about this.
    At least the Benzo was RWD.

And do you know who I see driving R Classes?

Mercedes Road Side Assistance drivers from dealerships.
    I have seen the boobs. And they is us.

jry
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jry's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 BMW 740Li-X, 2014 Expy EL

Quote Originally Posted by schmallz View Post
    At least the Benzo was RWD.

And do you know who I see driving R Classes?

Mercedes Road Side Assistance drivers from dealerships.
    You're right.
    85 cars since 1975....
    Good night and good luck.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    The R-Class only sold about 1/3 of the planned sales, when production ended no replacement took it's place - that's a failure to most auto companies.
    My post was exaggerated for entertainment value... but the R-class is not uncommon in certain high-income areas.

I suspect Mercedes planned for the car to appeal to a myriad of potential buyers, such as those who would have previously opted for an E-class wagon, customers looking for an upscale alternative to a minivan (i.e. seeking added passenger-carrying capacity), and customers wanting versatility but perhaps wanting to avoid an SUV and the negative stigma SUVs have in certain social circles. In the end, the R-class failed to attract the erstwhile wagon buyers and failed to attract SUV buyers, leaving only upper-income-looking-for-alternative-to-minivan customers, which was a very narrow buyer demographic.

Outside of North America, the car was simply too big.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,541 Times in 3,772 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

My post was exaggerated for entertainment value... but the R-class is not uncommon in certain high-income areas.

I suspect Mercedes planned for the car to appeal to a myriad of potential buyers, such as those who would have previously opted for an E-class wagon, customers looking for an upscale alternative to a minivan (i.e. seeking added passenger-carrying capacity), and customers wanting versatility but perhaps wanting to avoid an SUV and the negative stigma SUVs have in certain social circles. In the end, the R-class failed to attract the erstwhile wagon buyers and failed to attract SUV buyers, leaving only upper-income-looking-for-alternative-to-minivan customers, which was a very narrow buyer demographic.

Outside of North America, the car was simply too big.
    Is that why I never see them around here, t-rex? Detroit isn't high-class right?
    Current:

2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Luxury AWD

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

Is that why I never see them around here, t-rex? Detroit isn't high-class right?
    Well, duh!

And now that you say it, I don't recall seeing many around on my last visit to the Pointes. Then again, the Pointes is SO damn trashy...

R-classes are common around the Uptown and Garden District areas of New Orleans, and I recall seeing quite a few of them around River Oaks in Houston, Buckhead in Atlanta, and that snooty neighborhood in Durham (the name escapes me) where a lot of Duke professors live. But I didn't see many around Dallas' Park Cities and they didn't seem to be very common in Miami. Not many running around the Philly Main Line either.

Maybe it sold poorly cuz only well-to-do southerners bought 'em!

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,541 Times in 3,772 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6

Well, duh!

And now that you say it, I don't recall seeing many around on my last visit to the Pointes. Then again, the Pointes is SO damn trashy...

R-classes are common around the Uptown and Garden District areas of New Orleans, and I recall seeing quite a few of them around River Oaks in Houston, Buckhead in Atlanta, and that snooty neighborhood in Durham (the name escapes me) where a lot of Duke professors live. But I didn't see many around Dallas' Park Cities and they didn't seem to be very common in Miami. Not many running around the Philly Main Line either.

Maybe it sold poorly cuz only well-to-do southerners bought 'em!
    The Pointes are overrated IMHO. Bloomfield Hills is way better. Have you been to BH?

I haven't seen very many in LA, Vegas, Chicago, Detroit, Dallas, Phoenix, Houston, Miami, Orlando, or a lot of other places I've been to in the US. I guess other Southerners bought them?
    Current:

2019 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Luxury AWD

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

Have you been to BH?
    Possibly. Since my brief stint at an unnamed large university in Michigan in the 1980s, I've only been to greater Detroit a few times, and only for brief visits. I have fleeting memories of Ann Arbor (A2 for the total broduskis), but oddly my most vivid memory is breakfast at this dump of diner in Ypsiltucky that served the most hellatiously awesome grits that I've ever eaten. That's about it. Sadly, I really hated Michigan and didn't find any of it worth remembering.

19. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information