What Will the Long-Term Effects of the VW Scandal Be?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What Will the Long-Term Effects of the VW Scandal Be?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,608 Times in 1,059 Posts

What Will the Long-Term Effects of the VW Scandal Be?

1. Like sfbreh said in another thread, I doubt that Audi will get that $30 billion they were promised.

2. Volkswagen sales suffer in the next few months due to the lack of TDI sales, but they somewhat rebound when the new crossovers hit the market.

3. Hopefully VW divests in the shiny, new Chattanooga Plant and sell it to GM or Ford. (This one is more of a dream than anything)
    __________________________________________________ _______________

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dequindre For This Useful Post:

2b2 (09-24-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 9,940 Times in 4,842 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: What Will the Long-Term Effects of the VW Scandal Be?

One thought about VW Europe, obviously VW is the market leader in Europe and heavily weighted towards diesel. My understanding is that VW used the same cheat in Europe. So all the major cities are monitored for smog, NOX, etc.. I've read over the past months about bad air in many of Europe's large cities, so the EPA equivalents in Europe have been monitoring this bad air and presumably creating policy to tighten emissions of factories, cars, etc. These regulations would've been made assuming all are following the rules, so regulations were tightened assuming they weren't strong enough, all the while everyone (Opel, Ford, BMW, Merc, Fiat, non-automotive manufacturers etc.) is paying the price of developing even stronger emission controls, all the while VW is laughing at them and taking all those profits to the bank, helping themselves to growing stronger, dominating the markets even more and thus polluting more.

So I wonder how much $$ this contributed to VW's bottom line, did it significantly contribute to their rise to dominance via my above scenario? If so, VW deserves to be hit with maximum fines. And as you said in point #1, there goes the future funding to continue world dominance.

https://www.yahoo.com/health/scienti...221535346.html

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

2b2 (09-24-2015),bongos2u (09-24-2015),Michael_S (09-25-2015)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

In the end, this will be like the Toyota SUA story, it will cause a dip in sales and a hefty dent to profit (in lost sales and fines / lawsuits), but it will blow over. Some people will be scandalized and huff and puff, but our attention spans are so short these days that I just don't seeing this have a big long-term effect. It should, but it won't.
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to paul8488 For This Useful Post:

Cphelps (09-28-2015),ocmdog (09-25-2015),TheCarGonzo (09-23-2015)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,343 Times in 1,338 Posts

It's tough to say what long-term effects will be, to be honest. Memories are short.

Stock value tumbled $17.6 Billion, and they are looking at another $18 Billion in fines. It's going to be tough to weather that storm short-term for sure.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JimmyDiablo For This Useful Post:

Dequindre (09-23-2015),paul8488 (09-23-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,608 Times in 1,059 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    One thought about VW Europe, obviously VW is the market leader in Europe and heavily weighted towards diesel. My understanding is that VW used the same cheat in Europe. So all the major cities are monitored for smog, NOX, etc.. I've read over the past months about bad air in many of Europe's large cities, so the EPA equivalents in Europe have been monitoring this bad air and presumably creating policy to tighten emissions of factories, cars, etc. These regulations would've been made assuming all are following the rules, so regulations were tightened assuming they weren't strong enough, all the while everyone (Opel, Ford, BMW, Merc, Fiat, non-automotive manufacturers etc.) is paying the price of developing even stronger emission controls, all the while VW is laughing at them and taking all those profits to the bank, helping themselves to growing stronger, dominating the markets even more and thus polluting more.

So I wonder how much $$ this contributed to VW's bottom line, did it significantly contribute to their rise to dominance via my above scenario? If so, VW deserves to be hit with maximum fines. And as you said in point #1, there goes the future funding to continue world dominance.

https://www.yahoo.com/health/scienti...221535346.html
    I never thought about it like that, but you're right. That might explain Carlos Ghosn's critical statement of VW. Usually automakers stay quiet when a fellow company is going through something like this, so his statement seemed odd at first.
    __________________________________________________ _______________

Thanks
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
    1. Like sfbreh said in another thread...
    Just a little pointer (because I know you're new here): on the 'bringing credibility to my argument' scale, this is equivalent to starting your discussion with a "So I was talking to this hobo on the street..."

Hidden Content

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,096 Times in 560 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDiablo View Post
    It's tough to say what long-term effects will be, to be honest. Memories are short.

Stock value tumbled $17.6 Billion, and they are looking at another $18 Billion in fines. It's going to be tough to weather that storm short-term for sure.
    I heard stock was down 29 billion as of today....? Up to 18 billion in fines and they can't sell most of their vehicles until I suppose this is all figured out.

This is really, really bad. They might survive but they just took a few large steps in the wrong direction.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Jesda's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,159 Posts
    My Ride
    MX5, STS

This confirms a lot of Bob Lutz said about European automakers being corrupt and shady when he worked for them.

While GM covered up the redesign of a poorly made part, VW boldly cheated from day one. The intent matters.
    My blog: Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Jesda's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,159 Posts
    My Ride
    MX5, STS

Quote Originally Posted by paul8488 View Post
    Just a little pointer (because I know you're new here): on the 'bringing credibility to my argument' scale, this is equivalent to starting your discussion with a "So I was talking to this hobo on the street..."
    lolol
    My blog: Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    Cadillac

Well VW wanted so bad to be number 1, I guess you get what you wish for LOL.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 vcs2600's Avatar
    Thanks

Diesel goes back to being dead in America for another twenty years.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    GMC Sierra SLE/ 2018/ Slate

Besides the stock market loss and fines, VW has stopped sales on their 2015 inventory and the EPA is withholding final certification on 2016 VW diesel models. I would like to know what college educated, smart feller, came up with this software idea. I love how they plastered clean diesel decals on the rear windows.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,343 Times in 1,338 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnough View Post
    I heard stock was down 29 billion as of today....? Up to 18 billion in fines and they can't sell most of their vehicles until I suppose this is all figured out.

This is really, really bad. They might survive but they just took a few large steps in the wrong direction.
    I thought I heard that on the news tonight, but I wasn't paying close attention, and I couldn't find anything online so I went with the other number. I think that (17ish) was the 1st day slide, and today's went down and settled at 29-ish.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Quote Originally Posted by jossch View Post
    Besides the stock market loss and fines, VW has stopped sales on their 2015 inventory...
    It won't affect September numbers much, but the rest of the year should be interesting. Unless VW fans simply opt for their gasoline engines...

Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

VWs reputation will take a serious hit, sales of diesel and gasoline models will slow greatly, profits will drop, perhaps even lose money for a while, they will spend a lot of money apologizing for their actions, diesel vehicles will lose support throughout the world and especially in North America,
    governments will scrutinize the car companies far more diligently, other car companies will be found to be cheating as well, clean air advocates will re-double their efforts, the medical community will highlight studies of damage diesel fuel on humans, etc, etc, etc
    This is HUGE!
    Last edited by Dr.Show-Me; 09-24-2015 at 07:39 AM.

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information