What Part of 'Mini' Did You Not Grasp, BMW?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: What Part of 'Mini' Did You Not Grasp, BMW?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Canuck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 CTS 3.6DI AWD, 05 Envoy

By DAN NEIL

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...123217962.html

The purity squads have their tiny knives out for the BMW Mini Countryman, and who can blame them? A 3,200-pound, four-door, all-wheel-drive Mini as big as a Nissan Juke and as potentially as spendy as a BMW 3-series, pushing $40,000? Why, it's ridiculous, it's absurd. You might as well suggest a Ferrari four-wheel-drive station wagon.

Oh dear Lord. When did that happen?

For many Mini brand apostles, insert dismay here. And it's not even a question of whether BMW and its wee Anglo-Saxon thralls in Gaydon, England, can engineer an entertaining small car with all-wheel drive. Clearly, it's within their compass to do so, and with the Countryman, they have. Here is as lively, vital and tossable a sedan as ever resembled an orthotic shoe.
    Nor should we doubt that the brand's troupe of design-school savants—you will know them by their complicated German eyeglasses—can style a cool and charismatic interior. Again, they have. The Countryman's spacious rear cabin is masterfully packaged, with two slide-and-recline bucket seats separated by a novel accessory rail that runs the length of the cabin. Owners can personalize the cabin by situating detachable accessories such cupholders, iPod docks, eyeglass cases and elbow rests where they like them along the rail. Brilliant. Only downside: Big dogs can't climb in the back seat. A bench-seat option is coming.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,624 Times in 4,606 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Re: What Part of 'Mini' Did You Not Grasp, BMW?

I'd say the answer is a Mini El Camino. That should shed a couple of hundred pounds of ugly fat, glass, and metal.

Next question...
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 OLDSCHOOLGMFAN's Avatar
    Thanks

But no issue whatsoever with Granites, Veranos, that super-ugly little Caddy concept from early winter last year, ATSs, etc. Double-standard city..................
    '07 MONTE CARLO SS, '09 AVALANCHE LTZ. [/B]

Present non-Chevy gm fleet: '05 Pontiac Bonneville gxp, '09 Buick Lucerne Super, '11 Caddy DTS platinum.

Big vehicles, big V8s, big V6s, auto transmissions, flamboyant styling, lots o' torque, lots of room, lots of comfort, lots of straight-line speed, yup, that's what I love, PURE AUTO AMERICANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OLDSCHOOLGMFAN View Post
    But no issue whatsoever with Granites, Veranos, that super-ugly little Caddy concept from early winter last year, ATSs, etc. Double-standard city..................
    Well I think it has more to do with that Mini is supposed to be about small cars only. Still, I have no problem with this car, but then again I'm no Mini enthusiast (I tend to prefer larger cars). Purists often lose sight of reality.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,431 Times in 1,518 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

The original Mini was a lesson in packaging

If you can find one go stand next to it and see how low and how dramatically short it is compared to other cars - yet you could still fit 4 in it - granted not comfortably in the back but it's whole reason for being was cheap transport the smallest size and best performance (ii mainly fuel ecconomy) you can get

The cooper s was a blast and made far larger cars look stupid on a race track as well

BMW made a small car that looked kind of like a Mini but never really came close to teh spirit of the car

Small cars like the new Spark and smaller are more in keeping with the spirit of the Mini than the POS BMW sell

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    the POS BMW sell
    What?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Suziebob's Avatar
    Thanks

If you can find one go stand next to it and see how low and how dramatically short it is compared to other cars - yet you could still fit 4 in it - granted not comfortably in the back but it's whole reason for being was cheap transport the smallest size and best performance (ii mainly fuel ecconomy) you can get

The cooper s was a blast and made far larger cars look stupid on a race track as well

BMW made a small car that looked kind of like a Mini but never really came close to teh spirit of the car

Small cars like the new Spark and smaller are more in keeping with the spirit of the Mini than the POS BMW sell
    This.

Spark Turbo = the essence of what Mini should be.

Oh god... I just thought of it... Spark with the Cobalt SS TC engine...
    "When one side only of a story is heard and often repeated, the human mind becomes impressed with it insensibly."
    -George Washington

"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do."
    -Henry Ford

Banned
    Thanks

BMW is hellbent on making an oxymoron out of MINI. Next thing you know they will come out with a Minivan called the MINI Van.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Guzzi Monza Alfa Romeo 156SW

Those stiff humorless Zjermans... They turned out to be better car salesmen than the Americans and Brits. Did you know that the Brits never made any money on the original Issigonis Mini? Anyway, the New Mini was just an excuse for BMW to make an even smaller Mini: the Rocketman.
    Hidden Content GeneratinGMobilizing
    Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

The issue with the MINI and the original Mini in the later years near the death of MG Rover was the decision to move the whole theory of the mini from a car for the masses into a prestige brand. Many fellow enthusiasts believe that the Rocketman is a return to its roots, but this vehicle when in production will be apocalyptically expensive compared to the original. another one of my problems is the labelling of most of the MINI's as Cooper or Cooper S's back in the day the Cooper and Cooper S models less prevalent, for example there were only 400ish 1964 Coopers sold in Australia, the rest being predominantly Deluxe models and some Cooper S's. but that said I do quite like new MINI's.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,094 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

True enough and I can understand why you would say that.

However the regulatory issues in the modern world we live in in practical terms precluded having anything like the original - for the USA.

( As I'm sure you remember that was a big problem for the original..... something the bigger sized, blown up Mini aka in the 'States as the Austin America was to address.... '73 side impact standards were shall we say 'problematic' and that's just the beginning of the list...... for both.)

The first gen under BMW caught ( arguably ) enough of the spirit of the thing to work and work well .....after that it's something of a different story....

Anyway, irregardless of all the rest, the 2011 Countryman has one of..... if not the best rear seat area in anything 'small' or 'smallish' in nature in terms of what is actually offered here.

Quite impressive actually - works and feels good for all four seats ( front & rear) - in terms of effective sight lines and things like egress and ingress.

Pricing is the main rub - when heavily equipped as long as you don't get hung up on where it comes from in terms of size and weight and the history of the marque et al.

I don't mind saying I wish one of our three were making this instead of 'them'. It's right at the top of the list for that although I'm sure few would agree with that idea.

A diesel with maybe a bit of this and that would finish it off nicely.
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 03-07-2011 at 09:18 AM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

The purity squads have their tiny knives out for the BMW Mini Countryman, and who can blame them? A 3,200-pound, four-door, all-wheel-drive Mini as big as a Nissan Juke and as potentially as spendy as a BMW 3-series, pushing $40,000? Why, it's ridiculous, it's absurd. You might as well suggest a Ferrari four-wheel-drive station wagon.
    This probably won't make the writer too happy:
    Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar zl-1's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AMERICA 123 View Post
    Anyway, irregardless of all the rest, the 2011 Countryman has one of..... if not the best rear seat area in anything 'small' or 'smallish' in nature in terms of what is actually offered here.
    The packaging is well done: the thing is Fiat Punto sized (slightly bigger but not by much) yet has a trunk the size of a VW Golf's.
    Last edited by zl-1; 03-07-2011 at 11:12 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,094 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Point taken.... and I was thinking there may even be a few more like that... 'over there' or 'elsewhere'.

Thing is, what happens when they get over here - assuming they even do ???
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Slideways's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    12 cylinders via two cars

Quote Originally Posted by calgaryhhr View Post
    This probably won't make the writer too happy:
    Did you read his very next sentence? It was a joke.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information