VW's mid size car to be around 20K.

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VW's mid size car to be around 20K.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ausrutherford's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus

VW's mid size car to be around 20K.

The Passat has been a relative success for Volkswagen in the U.S., but the company is already hard at work on a New Midsize (or mid-market) Sedan, not-so-cleverly codenamed NMS, to replace it. The final design has already been approved - prototypes were shown to dealers in Wolfsburg this week - and the new U.S.-targeted midize sedan will be bigger than the Passat but priced to start "around $20,000."

The news comes from Stefan Jacoby, CEO of Volkswagen Group of America in an interview with Automotive News. The car is designed with the American audience specifically in mind. "It will be bigger and sleeker, and it has items necessary for Americans - space, seat comfort, cupholders, Bluetooth and other electronics. Very importantly, it remains a VW. It has been totally designed and engineered for the needs of American consumers," said Jacoby.

Expected for a 2010 arrival, the car was previewed in February with an official sketch of the car's basic lines.

More here:

http://www.motorauthority.com/volksw...ms-for-us.html
    Have sales for GM not seen in Hidden Content ? Hidden Content

Go Tigers!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Honda Civic

Re: VW's mid size car to be around 20K.

This is exciting. I can't wait to see this! So I wonder if this means that they will keep the CC? Hmm......

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 EldoFan's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ohmywrd8 View Post
    This is exciting. I can't wait to see this! So I wonder if this means that they will keep the CC? Hmm......
    I wouldn't worry about the CC....I would think it's targeted towards the same corner of the market Buick, Lexus et al. play in. This seems interesting though......hope they do it right here
    When you turn your car on....does it return the favor?

Past Rides:
    '90 Lincoln Mark VII
    '93 Ford Taurus GL

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 BrickTamland's Avatar
    Thanks

Good move. It would be a mistake once the Passat sedan goes the way of the dodo to have the expensive CC as the only midsize sedan offering.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.
    Current: Galaxy Gray 2007 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring
    Former: Super Black 2003 Nissan Maxima SE
    Brilliant Blue Metallic 1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ausrutherford's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus

Quote Originally Posted by ohmywrd8 View Post
    Yes because its the one VW that looks good.
    Have sales for GM not seen in Hidden Content ? Hidden Content

Go Tigers!!!

Thanks

The sketch makes me think of this:

Totally unbecoming of VW.

I was looking at the CC the other day. I don't know if I could ever own one. The windows are literally gun slits.
    There's no apology for stupid, boy!

Thanks

Oooooh, it won't sell because VW doesn't understand the US market and nobody buys them except for all those people who bought more VWs than Mazdas but otherwise nobody, the reliability is awful and it won't sell, booo....

* back to regular programming *

In sincerely hope they'd name it Santana, as it will probably replace the Santana 3000 that dies in China this year after serving many generations of Chinese mid-level party officials, taxi drivers and several dynasties of Emperors since 2000 BC or so when it was introduced. The wagon could become a Quantum and the Passat could finally become a liftback again...

...but since VW's model planning and product naming is totally off base (VW CC???), I expect it to become Volkswagen Faketan, and be marketed as VW Ronguay in China (just joking here, Roewe already trademarked "Rong-wei" as their Chinese pronunciation, and the latter is NOT a joke).

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

I'm pretty sure Mazda's sales have eked out ahead of Volkswagen's recently. You would expect something with the name recognition of VW and the mystique of being a German import would sell more, but well, whatever. ;3

Thanks

Mazda might seem to sell slightly more than VW, because they report sales "Mazda North American Operations" (United States, Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico). Volkswagen of America, Inc., despite its name, only deals with US sales.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) johnstarnes's Avatar
    Thanks

To my eyes the sketch looks Audi-ish. I wish it resembled the CC, which I feel is one of THE most elegantly, sleekly beautiful sedans on the road, especially in profile or rear three quarters view.
    "The only normal people are the ones you don't know well". unknown

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks

I like that the price is supposed to be in line with other midsizers. Hopefully they'll offer a manual transmission with a reasonable amount of options (in line with, say, the Accord).

I noticed they mentioned space. I've never thought space was really a problem with the Passat - they've always seemed to be fairly space efficient, at least to me.
    "Here's to Mr. Iacocca and his failed experiment, the DeLorean!" - The Office

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Ooohh! They're marketing it as LARGER and CHEAPER?!

Sounds like VW is taking the place of Pontiac at GM.

That's how the Impala, and so many other "old school" GM's have been marketed.

Funny, that as our cars attempt to be more European, VW is attempting to be more American, in the old, bad way.

Bad move to have a separate car for the American market. Not that it will necessarily be bad; I can't judge the car til it's out. But I don't like this thinking.

Really, I hate the American obsession with size. It gets me that Americans won't pay decent money for a compact car, no matter how loaded with features it is.

The equipment of the Mazda3 Grand Touring is pretty much available on all compacts in Europe. Here, the Mazda is the only choice if I want memory seats, HID or climate control in a compact.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

I'm curious about Volkswagen's reliability though. There seems to be conflicting words about that.

Quote Originally Posted by theantigeist View Post

Funny, that as our cars attempt to be more European, VW is attempting to be more American, in the old, bad way.

Bad move to have a separate car for the American market. Not that it will necessarily be bad; I can't judge the car til it's out. But I don't like this thinking.

Really, I hate the American obsession with size. It gets me that Americans won't pay decent money for a compact car, no matter how loaded with features it is.

The equipment of the Mazda3 Grand Touring is pretty much available on all compacts in Europe. Here, the Mazda is the only choice if I want memory seats, HID or climate control in a compact.
    I would hope Volkswagen keeps their passion for finely-tuned and stylish automobiles intact for this new model, that's what their reputation rides on. We might be pleasantly surprised.

Americans will pay a bit for a compact car, depending on the car. MINIs and your example of the Mazda3 seem to be the best examples of the breed of "premium compacts" available here, however, tastes in this country gravitate more toward the large-ish end of mid-size sedans, and have for quite a while. I think the Accord is, hopefully, about as far as it will go. That thing is huge like Xbox. I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing though, just different tastes. Even Chrysler's LX cars don't sell as well as mainstream mid-sizers.
    Last edited by CheetahDC; 04-28-2009 at 02:17 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theantigeist View Post

Good points, but I don't think it will be too bad of a deal. Toyota and Honda did similar things with their models, with success. For example, for years now we've gotten Accords that are essentially unique to this market. The smaller European Accord comes here as an entry-level Acura.

A great example of this is minivans. Look at some of the minivans from Honda and Toyota - the original '95 Odyssey was basically a tall four-cylinder Accord wagon, but not as spacious as the Chrysler vans inside. The '99 Odyssey was as big as the biggest of Chrysler minivans and offered the biggest V6 Honda had to offer, and since then Honda is a top player in the otherwise shrinking market. Toyota's vans, the, uh, Van, and then the Previa, were mid-engined, RWD/AWD four-cylinder vans. The Previa was actually pretty spacious and flexible inside, but the drivetrain setup was too weird and it wasn't all that efficient for a I4 vehicle. The first Sienna was a FWD V6, basically a tall Camry V6 wagon, but still not quite as spacious as the Chrysler vans. Now the Sienna is on the same page as the Odyssey.

Both the Previa and the first Odyssey were designed with the needs of other markets in mind, and the sales reflected that. So, though I agree that not everything needs to or should become bigger just because, it's a method that has been proven to work.

Like I said before, I never really thought the Passat to be lacking in space. It's always seemed to be a fairly space efficient car, so I don't know how much more space they can add without really making the car a great deal larger.

Er, doesn't the Jetta offer that?
    Though I agree with you, I'm guilty of the "bigger car" thinking as well. Between the previous Mazda 3 and 6 models, I just felt more comfortable in the 6, and there's more rear seat space as well in it. But at least the old 6 was a reasonable size, the new one grew by about half a foot in length (but at least it's still shorter than the new Accord and still has more cargo space than the Accord as well). So far it seems the 3 and maybe the Jetta are two compacts buyers are willing to choose more premium options on...but then they're the only two choices for that as well. The Civic only recently began offering heated leather seats.
    Smaller cars are becoming more spacious (the current Elantra is classified by the EPA as a midsize), so maybe we'll see the trends change in the future.
    "Here's to Mr. Iacocca and his failed experiment, the DeLorean!" - The Office

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bravada View Post
    Oooooh, it won't sell because VW doesn't understand the US market and nobody buys them except for all those people who bought more VWs than Mazdas but otherwise nobody, the reliability is awful and it won't sell, booo....
    They learned through trial and error which is why they're making a car specifically for North America instead of continuing on with the Passat. This is completely from your approach of "sell the stupid colonists whatever we have in europe and they're just eat it up". You see only what region the nameplate comes from with no desire to concern yourself with what kinds of vehicles they're actually selling or what their strategy is.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information