VW may sell Bugatti, Lambo After Porsche Takeover

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VW may sell Bugatti, Lambo After Porsche Takeover

Thanks

VW may sell Bugatti, Lambo After Porsche Takeover

VW may sell Bugatti, Lambo

Volkswagen Group could dispose of its high-end supercar brands Bugatti and Lamborghini, according Porsche boss and VW supervisory board member Wendelin Wiedeking.

When asked about the fate of the two brands in an interview with an industry newspaper, Wiedeking is quoted as saying ‘no toys anymore’.

The move, which was flagged up as a possibility in an Autocar Analysis (3 January 2007), would help VW restructure its sprawling business and concentrate on reviving the VW brand as a true global player.

Wiedeking is also reportedly unhappy that Porsche is not the flagship brand in the group and has allegedly commissioned an ultra-high-performance Porsche supercar to break the top speed record set by the Bugatti Veyron.

Industry rumours suggest Bugatti could be downgraded to an ultra-exclusive coachbuilding operation once Veyron production is wound up.

Lamborghini, which sold over 2000 cars last year, could be sold off in the same way that Ford is currently disposing of Aston Martin.
    source : autocar

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,119 Times in 2,123 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Re: VW may sell Bugatti, Lambo After Porsche Takeover

Fine with me.
    Let GM pick it up!!! Maybe they can finally launch Cien using Lambo's resources!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro
    Fine with me.
    Let GM pick it up!!! Maybe they can finally launch Cien using Lambo's resources!!!
    Now this is something that GM should do! Way better than picking up Chrysler and trying to restucture them, GM can do the same thing Audi did and use their engines in other cars, soo much cheaper for Cadillac to have the Cien then!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar jbartley's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro
    Fine with me.
    excellent idea.

If Audi/porshe/VW does go sell Lambo, then they basically just used the company to use technology, platforms, and engines for the audi lineup. And this is like no big surprise. Porsche is like the most greedy and jealous car brand/company there is.

This allows them to position VW, Audi, and Porsche as three distinct brands wil little pricing overlap. Porsche and Audi are free to make more supercars.

Thanks

I could see the disposal of Bugatti as it's received way more $ than it will give back to VW. The Veyron is a nice achievement, but not exactly a halo for VW due to the chasm of brand separation/identity from the rest of the stable.

I'd be surpised to see Lamborghini ditched though. It's turning a profit now and it's utilized Audi resources ever since the takeover in the 90's. It's also paid dividends for Audi by leveraging high performance engines and chassis. Just as Lambo has Audi to thank for its turnaround, Audi has Lambo to thank for the R8. Also, Porsche doesn't hit the same part of the market as Lambo, at least while it's focus is on cars like the Cayman, Cayenne, and Boxster. The 911 can run up against the Gallardo, but only in a topped-out turbo or sports version if at all.

Besides, Audi's not going to stop making the R8 just 'cause Porsche came along. I don't see Lambo getting ditched either. Like, Bentley's turnaround, I would only consider Bugatti to be a "toy" for VW. The others seem to be earning their keep now.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,119 Times in 2,123 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by mcool
    I could see the disposal of Bugatti as it's received way more $ than it will give back to VW. The Veyron is a nice achievement, but not exactly a halo for VW due to the chasm of brand separation/identity from the rest of the stable.

I'd be surpised to see Lamborghini ditched though. It's turning a profit now and it's utilized Audi resources ever since the takeover in the 90's. It's also paid dividends for Audi by leveraging high performance engines and chassis. Just as Lambo has Audi to thank for its turnaround, Audi has Lambo to thank for the R8. Also, Porsche doesn't hit the same part of the market as Lambo, at least while it's focus is on cars like the Cayman, Cayenne, and Boxster. The 911 can run up against the Gallardo, but only in a topped-out turbo or sports version if at all.

Besides, Audi's not going to stop making the R8 just 'cause Porsche came along. I don't see Lambo getting ditched either. Like, Bentley's turnaround, I would only consider Bugatti to be a "toy" for VW. The others seem to be earning their keep now.
    I wouldn't worry about Lambo or Bugatti.
    Porsche had the Carrera GT supercar not too long ago, and they are rumored to be working on Carrera GT1 -- 950HP -- and it will outrun the Veyron.

Thanks

VW is quickly turning into German Leyland, especially if Porsche becomes even more entangled with them. Selling these guys off is a good move.

Same reason GM shouldn't buy Chrysler-too many overlapping brands means all the brands suffer and the competition has you for lunch.

ANT
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Buick Regal Turbo

no over lap is an understatement, im pretty sure that GM has absolutely no italian supercars in its current stable lambo, even tho im a huge ferrari guy would be awesome aquisition for the general

EDIT: lets face it slap a caddy emblem and grille on a murcielago or a gallardo and its the cien, not that is what i want to happen but it would be much easier to do instead of the non existant platform gm has now

Thanks

Neat idea, but more often than not, a small volume car maker being bought up by a much much larger car company usually does not mesh to well.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Well now, if GM can't buy Proton, they should pursue Lamborghini and Bugatti. For that matter, Porsche may decide to sell Bentley to BMW.

Thanks

Has Bugatti even made a dime of profit yet?
    Current Rides
    2007 Chevrolet Tahoe LT3 Gold Mist Metallic
    2008 Mazdaspeed 3 GT Black Mica

6.0 Liter L76 V8 Premium Member jbernie's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Chevrolet Volt

If GM bought one of these brands would they get the engine tech that goes in the cars? ie the desire to put v12s into Caddys?

Cadillac can move up a notch or two engine wise and hey why not through that ultra powerful engine into a corvette model as well?

There are two ways to get into the ultra luxury or ultra sport business, spend a @!#*(^ load of $$$$ in R&D with no gurantees, or spend about as much buying existing brands who are already doing it.

Personally I would have an easier time dropping serious $$$ on a car with a Bugatti name plate than a Cadillac... even though I love what Cadillac is putting out... we are still a good amount of time away from it being a legitimate player in the US$100k+ market.
    Talk is cheap, sometimes it is on sale.

GMI Contributor Premium Member zete's Avatar
    Thanks

One thing's for sure, GM could get them cheap.

I wonder what GM's Q1 numbers are like. If they're profitable they might seriously think about something like this.

Banned
    Thanks

After the dust settles with all of this, I'd LOVE for Audi to become independent or under the umbrella of a different company with better quality control. I'd give my left anything for one of those new A5 coupes, and Audi has always had the best interiors and performance only second to BMW. But once VW sank their teeth into the company, their reliability went down hill. I can afford a $40k car. I can afford to change the oil, keep it fueled and good tires on it. I can afford the brakes. But I CAN'T afford a $1500 failed ignition coil replacement every 60k miles (ask anyone who owns a TT), the mysterious windows that seem to roll up and down on their own, or other electronic gremlins.

Please Audi, reclaim your independence!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 genjy's Avatar
    Thanks

I bet BMW will pick up Lamborghini.

If I am not mistaken, BMW owns Rolls Royce. BMW could pick up Lambo as its high-end sports car division to complement Rolls Royce.

Performance tech from Lambo and luxury tech from RR could then trickle down to high-end Bimmers.
    Last edited by genjy; 04-12-2007 at 09:02 PM.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information