VW goes Allroad with new Passat Alltrack

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VW goes Allroad with new Passat Alltrack

News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,147 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

Autoblog

We're pretty fond of the 2012 Volkswagen Passat, and we aren't alone. But for all of the vehicle's merits, there are a few of our favorite options missing from the American order sheet. For starters, buyers in the land of the free can't bring home a long-roof version of the mid-sizer, and all-wheel drive is nowhere to found either. These absences are made all the more painful by the fact that European buyers can snag this, the new 2012 Passat Alltrack. The vehicle is set to debut at this year's Tokyo Motor Show and boasts the Volkswagen 4Motion all-wheel drive system as well as a taller ride height for overcoming rough terrain and deep snow.

That smell? It's just the noxious fumes of envy wafting through the internet.

Volkswagen has thrown in a set of flared fender arches as well as revised front and rear bumpers. Under normal operation, the Passat Alltrack kicks 90 percent of the engine's power to the front axles, though 100 percent of the grunt can be shifted to the rear tires if need be. In the UK, buyers may chose between two variants of the German automaker's 2.0-liter TDI four-cylinder engine. Hit the jump for the full press release.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,147 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

Re: VW goes Allroad with new Passat Alltrack

Hopefully this will nudge GM to revive the recently scuttled Buick Regal Turbo X AWD Wagon.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,478 Times in 3,614 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

This looks like its aimed squarely at the saab and Subaru crowd.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

It would be really great to see a Passat wagon AWD available again. In the heyday of the Passat the AWD wagon was a huge hit in my community. I recall that it seemed like almost every third vehicle in our church parking lot (back when my parents forced us kids to go to church) was a Passat wagon AWD. But that is a special case because we went to a Polish church and Polish people have always shown a lot of affection towards VW.
    Research is what I am doing when I don't know what I am doing.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

I'd actually like it a lot and its pricing would probably fall in line with the XC70, but seeing this on the roads of America is unlikely at best.

Banned
    Thanks

I remember the Audi A6 Allroad sold here that failed. They still make it in Europe though.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Cruze TD , 88 Fiero GT

Quote Originally Posted by EJD1984 View Post
    Hopefully this will nudge GM to revive the recently scuttled Buick Regal Turbo X AWD Wagon.
    I'm thinking GM is working on a respose but not until after 2014 when the next gen Regal sedan appears.

Ken

Thanks

The lack of wagons in North America, right across all brands is becoming a total joke!

Some of us DON'T want a god damn CUV, or SUV or whatever the f**k 'UV you can think of. Seems the only wagon you can get is a VW Golf (jetta) or a freaking zillion dollar CTS ..... stupid

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 ElmerMCR's Avatar
    Thanks

I absolutely love it, although I do not believe it will be coming to America. Great looking wagon.

Thanks

vw is so boring

Thanks

I understand that the BK made a mess of GM's product plans.

But the fact remains that Buick will still have a huge hole in its lineup once the compact Envision/Encore CUV debuts. The Enclave is just too big to function as a logical step up from that compact CUV. The Passat Alltrak (though it isn't coming to the US) proves it.

A Buick Regal wagon with a little lift, a little flair, XWD, and maybe a Caballero badge would have filled that gap nicely without being another Theta/TE competing directly with the GMC Terrain.

Maybe the next generation Regal will fill that gap. Here's to hoping.
    Peace,

Autoplaybook

Hidden Content

Wouldn't You Really Rather Have A Buick?

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by autoplaybook View Post
    I understand that the BK made a mess of GM's product plans.

But the fact remains that Buick will still have a huge hole in its lineup once the compact Envision/Encore CUV debuts. The Enclave is just too big to function as a logical step up from that compact CUV. The Passat Alltrak (though it isn't coming to the US) proves it.

A Buick Regal wagon with a little lift, a little flair, XWD, and maybe a Caballero badge would have filled that gap nicely without being another Theta/TE competing directly with the GMC Terrain.

Maybe the next generation Regal will fill that gap. Here's to hoping.
    Why even bother with a lift? Why couldn't the Regal wagon simply be an Insignia with or without all wheel drive? Why bother raising the driving height and center of gravity of the vehicle?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calgaryhhr View Post
    Why even bother with a lift? Why couldn't the Regal wagon simply be an Insignia with or without all wheel drive? Why bother raising the driving height and center of gravity of the vehicle?
    Why did Subaru cancel the Legacy wagon while the Outback continues to set sales records?
    Peace,

Autoplaybook

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by autoplaybook View Post
    Why did Subaru cancel the Legacy wagon while the Outback continues to set sales records?
    I guess I'm looking at things more from the driving dynamics point of view. I've personally never been a big fan of the Audi Allroad, Volvo XC70 or other types of "jacked up" station wagons. I'd prefer a standard wagon like the A4 Avant or the Volvo V70 or whatever. The lower stance improves stability and body lean. Plus, the slight addition in ride height really has a mediocre effect on offroad capability. But this is just my opinion and I'm biased because I really dislike the CUV fad.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calgaryhhr View Post
    I guess I'm looking at things more from the driving dynamics point of view. I've personally never been a big fan of the Audi Allroad, Volvo XC70 or other types of "jacked up" station wagons. I'd prefer a standard wagon like the A4 Avant or the Volvo V70 or whatever. The lower stance improves stability and body lean. Plus, the slight addition in ride height really has a mediocre effect on offroad capability. But this is just my opinion and I'm biased because I really dislike the CUV fad.
    I'm with you. But the sales figures suggest that "lift" is where it's at. To note, Volvo canceled the V50 and V70, while the XC70 remains. You read that right...there is now only one Volvo wagon: the XC70. Same with Subaru and the Outback.

Acura's TSX wagon isn't doing particularly well, and Acura does break out sales by body style. Only 2,691 have been sold in the first 10 months of 2011. Not a spectacular result.

Whether a base model with FWD or AWD standard would be worth bringing over for the Regal, I don't know. GM has already ruled on the matter, so that provides a clue. However, an AWD Regal wagon with some lift might be a worthy addition to the next-gen Regal lineup.
    Peace,

Autoplaybook

Hidden Content

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information