VW cheated on emission standards 482k diesels affected

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VW cheated on emission standards 482k diesels affected

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Sierra

VW cheated on emission standards 482k diesels affected

Interesting......what will be the outcome I wonder.
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/epa...rds-2015-09-18

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rustywrench For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (09-19-2015),Dave B (09-22-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 554 Posts

Re: VW cheated on emission standards 482k diesels affected

Yikes. Could be spendy for VW

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,143 Times in 635 Posts

Pontiac tried that with the SD455 if memory serves, with a timer on the emissions system (I think primarily EGR) to last the duration of the test cycle then turn off to improved throttle response. The EPA caught them and they had to change the system.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 965 Posts
    My Ride
    です

Businesses are truly immoral

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Butz For This Useful Post:

2b2 (09-18-2015),neshapop (09-21-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Butz View Post

Generalize much? Governments have slaughtered MILLIONS, Organized Religions have slaughtered MILLIONS and you go after the entities that have advanced the human condition more than either of them combined.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheCarGonzo For This Useful Post:

Butz (09-18-2015),Ed753 (09-21-2015),fastrehotrods (09-18-2015),member12 (09-21-2015),nruggiero (09-21-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 965 Posts
    My Ride
    です

Quote Originally Posted by TheCarGonzo View Post
    Generalize much? Governments have slaughtered MILLIONS, Organized Religions have slaughtered MILLIONS and you go after the entities that have advanced the human condition more than either of them combined.
    I know what you’re thinking, but there ain’t a thing You can do about it, so let us just agree to agree
    Last edited by Butz; 09-18-2015 at 05:13 PM.

Sox
    5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Ducati Multistrada

What's your point?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sox For This Useful Post:

Butz (09-19-2015)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ChrisGinNC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,415 Times in 1,684 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Ford F-150 - 2016 Chevy S

Sell all your **** and give the money to charity then.
    2019 Silverado LTZ Z71 5.3L - Havana Brown
    2019 Silverado RST 4x4 5.3L - Black

Previous:
    2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch 3.5L EB
    2016 Silverado LTZ 5.3L
    2016 F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    2016 Colorado Z71 Duramax
    2015 Sierra Denali
    2015 Sierra SLT
    2014 Silverado High Country

Hidden Content

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChrisGinNC For This Useful Post:

Butz (09-19-2015),Ed753 (09-21-2015),Neanderthal (09-19-2015),nruggiero (09-21-2015)

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Sierra

Back to the point, here is more info:
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/epa-accu...les-1442595129
    I think we all enjoy clean air to breath and would like all the manufactures to "play" fair on a level playing field.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,924 Times in 3,347 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

There is only one answer to evil, the V8 motor.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

CarFreak77 (09-19-2015)

Banned
    Fishing with Zora and Ferdinand. LOL!!! The Z Man just pulled in a helluva Yellow Tail.. Let's Eat
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 753 Posts

Since civil penalties for each car in violation run about $37,500, Volkswagen could be on hook for more than $18 billion in penalties plus other fines.

There is a reason why VW is one of the top most profitable car makers on the the planet.. they cheat. Screw 'em. I would be happy to see them penalized in full. If GM was held liable for the ignition switch debacle, which was isolated to individual "space," why should VW get a pass on something that could potentially cause issue with the general population's simple desire to breath cleaner air?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to MiatsoCi For This Useful Post:

Dave B (09-22-2015)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet SS PBM

Do you work for a business?
    "The car's brilliant and ... a great surprise, pleasant surprise for all Corvette lovers everywhere ... a huge shock to our competitors ... because I don't think anybody was expecting something that good. What pleases me the most about it was that ... I can say this is the first car that's come out, that was done since I left.

-- Bob Lutz, former vice chairman and head of global product development at GM

22. The Following User Says Thank You to unkillsam For This Useful Post:

Butz (09-19-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,093 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Such an interesting story and also....... as a separate consideration...... 'interesting' story development in so many ways, both large and small and for all the Roses, both directly and indirectly.

Want to be clear about one thing first before we get any farther with this - whatever they actually did in terms of cheating and irregardless of the details on how that really 'works' , nope, that ain't right That is also regardless of any and all the other around it, and all the details of both what they actually did when with what and then also how it is being handled and 'presented' by the US EPA ......'suddenly' and in rushed and 'special' sloppy fashion. While all kinds of other things far far worse than this both in and out of the Industry are shall we say not only overlooked but actually actively aided and abetted.

Meanwhile one can also hope the saner, wiser, and better elements within the Bundesrepublik Deutschland continue to come to the fore on so many foreign affairs items regardless of all the pressure being brought to prevent that.

______

Notice just a few of the 'oddities' present with this.

There was no US MKT. / MYR 2009 A3 TDi offered ( although one may have / appears to have been certified ) and there was no US MKT. / MYR 2014 offered either.

Evidently ?, the late 2014 software update of the 2012 / 2013 Passat TDi product must have corrected the problem - although no mention is directly made of this which is yet another strange and strangely nasty part of this obviously rushed presentation. Especially so in light of the super special extra testing and scrutiny it received.

This formal exclusion of the 2012 / 2013s then makes the 2014 Passat TDi inclusion somewhat all the stranger - and one might suspect possibly erroneously, means it was close to a pass since the 2012 / and especially 2013s ( late 2013 production ) are using much the same equipment if you will. Regardless, this also suggests the possibility that the 2014s had some small detailed differences not well known or fully appreciated .......... that 'now' for this issue loom at least a little larger.

Since the 2015 Passat has the newer / better / improved / inherently cleaner......... EA 288 2.0L I4 TD in basically ( again ) the same vehicle using basically the same transmissions , inclusion here becomes interesting in yet another way.

Which then morphs into something interesting regarding the EA 288 installed in MYR 2015 other ...

Since it is ( also ) not clear from the some of the media coverage.... to no surprise given their ownership and various Agendas those ownership interests pursue, mention should be made explicitly that this problem does not refer to the US Market Audi - Porsche - VW V6 (and V10 ) TD product although they maybe holding them up ( MYR 2016s ) to add to the pressure - which btw, seems to have worked.

Big topic area in general btw..... plenty of shall we say also 'interesting' software 'features' often hidden and or 'improved' ( either way.... ) in older software updates ..... for various US Market Gassers - including some hybrids etc.
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 09-24-2015 at 04:23 PM. Reason: regardless for irregardless
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

Thanks
    My Ride
    Guzzi Monza Alfa Romeo 156SW

It caused a bit of an earthquake here in Europe. EPA spokesperson was interviewed on BBC TV. I guess it will be settled. My suggestion: 2 billion for cheating the EPA, 2 billion for all owners of VWs that are considered tampered with.
    Hidden Content GeneratinGMobilizing
    Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,093 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Be careful, very careful what you wish for.

We really have ( so far ) a very strange and one sided interpretation and spin job coming from a suddenly rushed EPA.

Since day one, it is not at all unusual to have EM systems tuned to perform one way on the test loops and then another outside of that regime.

As an example, and the old hands will well remember all this ...... 'pre computer', you had a lot of clocks and timers and other types of vacuum control / vacuum delays built into various things like Spark Advance , fuel control, EGR operation, and A.I.R systems. All fully matched to the test cycle segments. In otherwords, they went all different and dirty outside of that via fuel enrichment, increased and much faster application of Spark Advance, cut outs and or big reductions on EGR and A.I.R. and so forth.

That kinda' thing has never gone away, it's just been reduced at least by many on a large part time basis. ( However, since about 2004ish, some seem to think lots of this made a big comeback according their studies .)

What is happening here in part, is VW was finally ...... perhaps a bit more clever with it in a sense and perhaps a bit more aggressive.......

In otherwords, they have been singled out because of two to three things. One, their Homeland is developing some sensible independent thought about a great many things. Two, they stand the most in the way of the hybrid Mafia and related in and among certain consumer groupings - and finally, with VW possibly being the largest discrepancy producer for a light Class 1/2 Diesel Product.

Btw, it's not mentioned, but according to ICCT's other work, many of these actually produce well under standard when remeasured against standard - and are also the best at doing that by a large amount.

You will also notice, they and many others handle gassers quite differently - when they even bother to @ all. And for damn sure and of course this must be by coinincidence, they haven't looked at where the gassers are likely weakest or by whom they are likely weakest.

There is in fact a huge amount of EPA induced BS via massive omission in all this, don't think we really even know yet that they committed a Legal foul in fact, or if so, the true size and scope of it. We really need to know a lot more before we can say how much of this and that are involved.

Clearly EPA's intent here as opposed to how many other are handled by them or NHTSA was to somewhat blindside VW in as inconvenient and embarrassing time as possible.

Which sure enough, is not necessarily outside the realm of decent ball play - depending on the particulars involved.

Again though we do not know that .....
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 09-19-2015 at 05:40 PM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information