Volvo to Edit U.S. Lineup: V50 and Others Out, XC30 In (Eventually)

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Volvo to Edit U.S. Lineup: V50 and Others Out, XC30 In (Eventually)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Car and Driver
    January 27, 2011
    by Justin Berkowitz

With Volvo’s new Chinese ownership and new CEO, the company is shifting its strategy away from selling low volumes across a large lineup of higher-profit products. Speaking with Bloomberg, Volvo’s U.S. president Doug Speck said that it makes more sense for the company to pick a few core models and sell those in greater numbers. He confirms that three or four models will be cut from the company’s current nine-car U.S. lineup. This should help lower overhead, concentrate advertising, build product awareness, and avoid the high costs of federalizing numerous models.

The first model to get the axe will be the sensible V50 wagon, which managed to be outsold last year in the U.S. by the not-so-sensible $189K Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG. With the V50 headed to Helheim in a handbasket, the rest of the lineup is under scrutiny. The current-generation S80 sedan never got traction like the first one did, and, with an unduly cramped interior and a high price, is largely made obsolete by the new S60. The compact S40 sedan—the four-door version of the V50—is also a slow seller, and last year the C30 was outsold ten-to-one by the Volkswagen GTI. Although the company has indicated that Europeans will see their C30 lineup expand to include a five-door model, we’re not optimistic about its arrival on American shores.

Full article at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Re: Volvo to Edit U.S. Lineup: V50 and Others Out, XC30 In (Eventually)

No S80? So are they headed downmarket?

2b2
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 2b2's Avatar
    Thanks

the V50 wagon & S40 sedan have been planned to be replaced by a single five-door model for some time - imho a C50.
    tho of course now things could be changing.

Imho the S80 depends on any arrangement they have with Ford for when the Mondeo starts merging with the Fusion & Taurus next year.
    The next Taurus has been likened to an XJ - - not a bad basis for a new S80.
    re: EV styling
    "...like a bunch of 1960's Citroen designers would do given LSD and a room full of Pokemon....in a good sort of way"
    Hidden Content best fanboy def Ever
    " 4: Oh. My. God!!! My favorite shade of white!!!!! "

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Another crossover? Sheez. I think an updated XC90 would do the trick... They already updated the XC60, which is quite nice I may add.

A friend of mine has an S80, and the car is a tank! I do hope that they keep the 80 - It only needs a mild refresh and it would be good to go for years. the S80 is definitely Volvo's flagship - so I'm not sure why it would even be considered as an option to cut it.

I'm surprised that the S40 is lagging in sales - well, kind of. Most entry level "luxury" cars are the money makers - but in the same sense, Volvo has neglected the 40 for too long I believe. It needs to be updated badly.

It should be interesting to see where Volvo is a few years down the road. I have a soft spot for Volvo for some reason, and I'd love to see them continue to improve.
    The real question is, when you turn your car on.. Does it return the favor? Hidden Content

Current:
    06 Chevy Impala (Inherited) Hidden Content
    06 Honda Civic (daily)
    10 Lexus ES350

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jldowdy View Post
    A friend of mine has an S80, and the car is a tank! I do hope that they keep the 80 - It only needs a mild refresh and it would be good to go for years. the S80 is definitely Volvo's flagship - so I'm not sure why it would even be considered as an option to cut it.
    Totally agree. And this is the first time I've ever heard the S80 called cramped. Its interior is great, it's hugely comfortable. Frankly it's much like how a Buick should be. With a technology update and a V-8 (or turbo-6 alternative) that can actually compete with the 550/E550, it'd be even better.

Unfortunately, Volvo isn't the first one to be rumored to cut their flagship. Word had it Acura was going to drop the RL very soon, but thankfully that rumor was put to rest.

Interior is just great.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

I wonder what would happen to Volvo's US salales ... IF they offered some of their very fuel FRUGAL DRIVe diesel power trains or maybe their plug-in hybrid diesel planned for 2012 with a reported BELOW 50 g/km CO2.

Any thoughts?
    It is important what WE use as our "moral compass" and ...
    the "measuring stick" chosen for judging progress/success as well.

44 mpg by 2010 ... 2013?

Thanks
    My Ride
    81 Z-28, Colorado

That's a shame, the V50 and C30 were my favorites out of the Volvo lineup. I think Volvo really needs to step up their advertising campaign personally.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information