Volkswagen GTI gets top marks from Consumer Reports.

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen GTI gets top marks from Consumer Reports.

Thanks

Volkswagen GTI gets top marks from Consumer Reports.

VW GTI gets top marks from Consumer Reports
    Source: Consumer Reports rates five sporty cars.

The Mazda MX-5 and Volkswagen GTI posted “Excellent” overall scores in Consumer Reports‘ testing of five sporty cars for the June issue. The GTI, which is a sporty version of the VW Golf, is now the top-ranked sporty car under $25,000 among the 11 different coupes and sedans recently tested by Consumer Reports. The Miata ranks best among three roadsters selling for under $35,000. The test group pitted the latest generation of the venerable Miata against the newly-introduced and boldly-designed Pontiac Solstice, which posted an overall score of “Good.” The two remaining vehicles in this test group, the Honda Civic Si and the Ford Focus ST, posted “Excellent” overall scores. The Focus’ overall test score tied that of the previously-tested Subaru Impreza WRX.

“The MX-5 Miata and GTI were both standouts in Consumer Reports’ testing,” said David Champion, senior director of CR’s Auto Test Center in East Haddam, Connecticut. “The Miata is great fun to drive, with extraordinary handling and a slick powertrain. The GTI excels in its refinement, performance, and safety equipment.”

What Consumer Reports said:

The GTI is comfortable, well-finished, powerful, and fun to drive. It delivers capable handling, a relatively comfortable ride, a well-crafted interior and a surprisingly roomy back seat. The GTI ($23,975 MSRP as tested) is propelled by a 200-hp, turbocharged 2.0-liter, four-cylinder engine that is both smooth and powerful. The standard six-speed manual transmission has appropriate gear ratios and is easy to shift. Braking distances are short.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar bouda's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Volkswagen GTI gets top marks from Consumer Reports.

I'll take mine in black please.

Thanks

I love the GTI. I'd never own one though; too much "wierd" maintainence. My neighbor has one, and every so often he'll have some super wierd problem with it - like the windows falling out, etc. Basically, they're fun to drive for a day, but that notorious VW reliability keeps me from owning one.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Awesome car...

I looked into buying one a month back and the stick price on the ones I saw at the dealership was like $27k+. The DSG option topped $28k. I'm sure its a great car but at that price they aren't doing a good job of competing with other pocket rocket cars...

Cobalt SS
    Neon/Caliber SRT4
    Civic SI
    RSX TypeS

These things are easy to tune too. IIRC a chip along will put you over 240hp, that along with the DSG would make a fast ass car.

Thanks

You can get them in the low 20K price range with good options the dealership i work at has some for 21K with a 6spd Ive been thinking about buying one. my Mk4 has been nothing but fun and the MK5 looks like more but ill wait for the 25th anniversary edition in 2008 hope it looks like the coaching concept

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member TaHoE's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Chevrolet Volt

I like the Golf, but there is something about it that just keeps me from LOVING it, and I have no clue what it is...

Thanks

in European reality GTi is an interesting offer for sure but in U.S there are so many better looking, stylish cars offered for this price that I would never consider buying a Golf if I lived there.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,060 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

I recently test drove a DSG GTI...

Loved the commericials...read the reviews...and to be honest I was somewhat disappointed...

I'm sure its a great car...just not one I will ever own. I wanted one as a possible everyday driver...

Didn't really do it for me.

Maybe an Evo X? Now thats supposed to be one wild @ss ride.

Not a flame to the GTi...just a personal observation from an enthusiast who thought he'd love the car.

It wasn't what I expected...
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

Thanks

GTI's are a lot more of an everyday car than a WRX or neon screamer.
    The WRX will eat a GTI but the gas is on on/off switch. The rally car heritage shines through.
    A GTI really shines at higher speeds. Very stable, nimble and goes where you point it at 80.
    How many late 80's golf do you see? Now compare that to nissan, dodge or fords. VW has issues like window tracks and door handles, not head gaskets and dropped trannies.

Thanks

luv the gti, wish it was american, i'd consider buying it if GM owned VW. Priced WAY TOO HIGH THOUGH. Thats my only complaint, and its one of the worst looking new-car-hatches on the road today-exterior wise. Interior wise, its a step above any pocketrocket out there.

Thanks

So, the only somewhat negative review I've seen (vs. the Civic Si) of this car was in Edmunds. Hmmmm...

Elk
    Thanks

The GTI is a joke. To make my point I will be comparing it to the supercharged SS Cobalt.

All numbers except price are from Car and Driver

Cobalt:
    205 hp
    2911 lbs
    0-60 in 5.9 sec
    70-0 in 160'
    1/4 in 14.4 sec
    Price with LSD and upgraded leather seats: $21,990

GTI:
    197 hp
    3178 lbs
    0-60 in 6 sec
    70-0 in 162'
    1/4 in 14.7 sec
    Price with DSG (no LSD option): $23,065

And before somebody say “it because the GTI has a more upscale interior”. $23,065 is the price with cloth seats. If you want it with leather it’s part of a package that jacks the price up to $26,225.

Thanks

Yeah but its plaid cloth which is just hott and the best trans around DSG, and easy chip tunning with the turbo but thats my openion GTI > Cobalt also with specs that close comes down to what you likes style wise and personal pref.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elk
    The GTI is a joke. To make my point I will be comparing it to the supercharged SS Cobalt.

All numbers except price are from Car and Driver

Cobalt:
    205 hp
    2911 lbs
    0-60 in 5.9 sec
    70-0 in 160'
    1/4 in 14.4 sec
    Price with LSD and upgraded leather seats: $21,990

GTI:
    197 hp
    3178 lbs
    0-60 in 6 sec
    70-0 in 162'
    1/4 in 14.7 sec
    Price with DSG (no LSD option): $23,065

And before somebody say “it because the GTI has a more upscale interior”. $23,065 is the price with cloth seats. If you want it with leather it’s part of a package that jacks the price up to $26,225.
    You fail to mention two things though. One, the GTI and Cobalt SS appeal to COMPLETELY different demographics. The Cobalt is for Chevy lovers who want an American version of the Civic Si. The GTI is for people who want a German engineered sports car that happens to be a hatchback. What I mean is, the guy who will later in life buy an Audi/BMW M-series/etc. starts out with a GTI, and the guy who will later in life buy a Corvette starts out with a Cobalt. They just appeal to different people.

Second, the GTI stock performance is LAME compared to what it can be tuned to be. A simple computer-chip tune can do wonders. Since VW engines have an electronic selenoid controlling the wastegate through air pressure, it is possible to alter electronic signals and control the boost pressure. For example, $500 for a chip and another $1,500 required for intake and exhaust upgrades, the 180 hp model GTI is commonly upgraded to over 200WHP. However, because of the turbocharger on 1.8L motors, horsepower can be seen under 210 hp while torque numbers are significantly larger ranging from 230-250 ft lbf. FSI 2.0L motors can be seen making nearly 237 hp with 300 ft lbf.

300 ft lbf. from an 4 banger I mean, that's crazy. It jumps from 200 to 300 with a computer chip mod! VW just programmed the computer to tame the beast engine, but it can be easily overcome. Now, the Cobalt (in its current state) just can't do that. MAYBE if it gets the LNF engine that's going in the GXP Solstice...but until then, it just can't compete.

Elk
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by black93sts
    Second, the GTI stock performance is LAME compared to what it can be tuned to be. A simple computer-chip tune can do wonders. Since VW engines have an electronic selenoid controlling the wastegate through air pressure, it is possible to alter electronic signals and control the boost pressure. For example, $500 for a chip and another $1,500 required for intake and exhaust upgrades, the 180 hp model GTI is commonly upgraded to over 200WHP. However, because of the turbocharger on 1.8L motors, horsepower can be seen under 210 hp while torque numbers are significantly larger ranging from 230-250 ft lbf. FSI 2.0L motors can be seen making nearly 237 hp with 300 ft lbf.

300 ft lbf. from an 4 banger I mean, that's crazy. It jumps from 200 to 300 with a computer chip mod! VW just programmed the computer to tame the beast engine, but it can be easily overcome. Now, the Cobalt (in its current state) just can't do that. MAYBE if it gets the LNF engine that's going in the GXP Solstice...but until then, it just can't compete.
    So for $2000 over the already high price you can have a heavy FWD car without an LSD that makes 237 hp 300 lb-ft on a. That’s a lot of money for a car that’s not going to be good at anything but 1 wheel burnouts. Does it at least come with a factory warranty? I’m guessing it doesn’t.

You can buy kits for the Cobalt SS that come with a factory warranty:
    http://www.cobaltss.net/forums//showthread.php?t=16834
    For $750 you can buy a kit that brings the Cobalt’s power up to 241 hp and 218 lb-ft and that’s with stock intake and exhaust. And since it has an LSD it can actually get that power to the ground.

And mods on the Cobalt are going to get better results because it’s lighter.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information