Spy Shots: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo

  1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

    Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!
     
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Spy Shots: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo

  1. #1
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 69Firebird400's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia Area
    Posts
    5,887
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    My Ride
    '13 S6, '13 Sienna, '17 Q5

    Spy Shots: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo

    Caught in the Wild: Next-Gen Porsche 911 Turbo

    Source: Autosavant


    When I first saw this car, coming up on it from behind, I thought it was perhaps a Mitsubishi Eclipse with some kind of poorly executed mods to the rear deck area. Then I saw the manufacturer plates and was able to get closer, and what do you know, it’s the next-gen Porsche 911 out stretching its legs. And hey, is that a next-gen whale tail I see?

    A few other things to note about the car that aren’t obvious from the pictures: It seems significantly lower and longer than the current 911, which may be a bit of a nod to the stretched dimensions of the Panamera, and those things that look like air inlets just in front of the rear wheels aren’t—they’re more camouflage; they were stickers or decals of some kind.
    Link: http://www.autosavant.com/2011/01/04...che-911-turbo/
    Last edited by 69Firebird400; 01-05-2011 at 09:51 AM. Reason: D'oh! Forgot the link to the article.
    Hidden Content
    2013 Audi S6 4.0T quattro
    2013 Toyota Sienna XLE AWD

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Ambalanche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    Posts
    5,960
    Thanks
    370
    Thanked 1,238 Times in 617 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra SLT

    Re: Spy Shots: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo

    Yawn!

  4. #3
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 69Firebird400's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia Area
    Posts
    5,887
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    My Ride
    '13 S6, '13 Sienna, '17 Q5

    Re: Spy Shots: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo

    Quote Originally Posted by Ambalanche View Post
    Yawn!
    LOL. This car should be a beast when it hits the market.
    Hidden Content
    2013 Audi S6 4.0T quattro
    2013 Toyota Sienna XLE AWD

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 fp115's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,341
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Spy Shots: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo

    Another boring Porsche. Can't they do anything different??

  7. #5
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 69Firebird400's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia Area
    Posts
    5,887
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    My Ride
    '13 S6, '13 Sienna, '17 Q5

    Re: Spy Shots: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo

    I think the car is going to be considerably bigger than the current car, and dramatically larger than the original 911 from the sixties. Part of the reason for the growth will be, ironically, the footprint-based fuel economy requirements. Moving the wheels out further lowers the fuel economy requirement.
    Hidden Content
    2013 Audi S6 4.0T quattro
    2013 Toyota Sienna XLE AWD

  8. #6
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,999
    Thanks
    637
    Thanked 1,600 Times in 1,048 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

    Re: Spy Shots: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo

    Quote Originally Posted by 69Firebird400 View Post
    I think the car is going to be considerably bigger than the current car, and dramatically larger than the original 911 from the sixties. Part of the reason for the growth will be, ironically, the footprint-based fuel economy requirements. Moving the wheels out further lowers the fuel economy requirement.
    Moving the wheels out further lowers the fuel economy requirement...?

    Can you explain in greater detail?

    Thanks in advance.
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

  9. #7
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 69Firebird400's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia Area
    Posts
    5,887
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    My Ride
    '13 S6, '13 Sienna, '17 Q5

    Re: Spy Shots: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo

    Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post
    Moving the wheels out further lowers the fuel economy requirement...?

    Can you explain in greater detail?

    Thanks in advance.
    Sure. Basically, the 911 has very long overhangs for the car's length (a short wheelbase), a relic of its five decade old original design that Porsche is trying to more or less stick to.

    The new CAFE requirements are based on a vehicle's footprint - basically, the wheelbase and the track of a vehicle are taken into account to determine its size for the new CAFE calculations. The 911 and Cayman/Boxster all have a very small footprint (the 911 has a wheelbase of 92.5 inches, vs. 105.7 for a C6 Corvette).

    The new CAFE requirements will require Porsche to hit 41.3 mpg based on its sales mix and the footprint of its lineup.

    However, if Porsche stretches the 911's wheelbase and track, the car's footprint becomes larger, and the EPA would then see the car as a larger vehicle, and it would have a less-strict fuel economy requirement. The 41.3 mpg requirement for Porsche is, I'm fairly certain, the reason they are moving forward with putting the hybrid/EV 918 Spyder into series production.

    Here are a few other relevant links that explain this better than I did:

    http://www.hybridcars.com/incentives...explained.html
    http://www.leftlanenews.com/porsche-...gulations.html
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...cafe-standards

    Interesting note in that Popular Mechanics article:
    If automakers change vehicle designs to have longer wheelbases and wider tracks, thus lowering their fuel-economy targets, it will be only a temporary advantage. The footprint target curves will end up being adjusted upward in order to achieve the statutory requirement of 34.1 mpg.

    Similarly, if an automaker sells more large vehicles or trucks, its individual targets will be adjusted upward so that its overall fleet average hits the statutory requirement. The individual vehicle targets are actually more of a guideline than a hard and fast rule. For example, there will be no penalties for General Motors or Toyota if the Silverado or Tundra pickups fail to beat targets as long as other vehicles sold by that company are efficient enough to allow the fleet average to meet the minimum.
    As long as a company like Porsche shows that it is making progress on improving efficiency and reducing emissions, the EPA will cut them some slack. Those companies will be able to exceed the standards by up to 25 percent for up to 250,000 vehicles over the five years. Where possible those automakers will also have to purchase credits from companies that exceed the standards. A further round of rule making in 2012 will go back and take another look at this program and make further adjustments.
    Hidden Content
    2013 Audi S6 4.0T quattro
    2013 Toyota Sienna XLE AWD

  10. #8
    2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Wolfn99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Posts
    910
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 34 Times in 17 Posts
    My Ride
    2005 Ford Focus ZX3

    Re: Spy Shots: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo

    They say it will be bigger, but it looks incredibly small next to that Honda Civic in the picture
    I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one.

  11. #9
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 LeSabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    5,411
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Re: Spy Shots: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo

    Quote Originally Posted by fp115 View Post
    Another boring Porsche. Can't they do anything different??
    Another??
    Are you kidding me?
    This is quite possibly the next 911, slow evolution is what it stands for & what it's mission over the years has been generation to generation...unlike say the Corvette until the C5 came along. That is when the design of the Corvette got stuck in this slow evolution crap.




    !!!
    IF It's A Chevrolet & RWD, Don't ride in it!!!

    ALL Chevy's NEED to be FWD/F-AWD!!!

    If it's a Toyota/Lexus/Scion, Don't ride in/drive it!!


    __________________________________________________ __

  12. #10
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 fp115's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,341
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Spy Shots: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo

    Quote Originally Posted by LeSabre View Post
    Another??
    Are you kidding me?
    This is quite possibly the next 911, slow evolution is what it stands for & what it's mission over the years has been generation to generation...unlike say the Corvette until the C5 came along. That is when the design of the Corvette got stuck in this slow evolution crap.




    !!!
    Yes another. They all look alike. Nothing edgy or interesting about them. You get tired of seeing the similar design for 20 years. I could careless for slow evolution, especially in Porsche's case.

  13. #11
    Administrator Premium Member Rex Raider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    12,307
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Re: Spy Shots: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo

    Quote Originally Posted by fp115 View Post
    You get tired of seeing the similar design for 20 years.
    So you went out and bought a retro car that looks like it did way over 20 years ago...

  14. #12
    Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,999
    Thanks
    637
    Thanked 1,600 Times in 1,048 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

    Re: Spy Shots: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo

    Thanks for the excellent explanation! Now I understand whats going on..

    FWIW...the 911 has had the same basic shape for over 50 years ...not 20...

    Its an sports car icon. I personally prefer GM's corvette yet I certainly admire the porsche 911 competitor.

    The latest road and track I believe had the 911 turbo S smoking from zero to 60 mph in 2.6 seconds...Zero to 100 mph somewhere in the 6 second range...

    Thats a car to be admired.. In my opinion...

    Like I said...I still prefer corvettes but the 911 in all its various models is an excellent sports car. A true icon ...(and yes every tom **** and harry owns one! so thats probably why its not exciting to see on the street any longer but I do admire their fine capabilities as sports cars)

    Quote Originally Posted by 69Firebird400 View Post
    Sure. Basically, the 911 has very long overhangs for the car's length (a short wheelbase), a relic of its five decade old original design that Porsche is trying to more or less stick to.

    The new CAFE requirements are based on a vehicle's footprint - basically, the wheelbase and the track of a vehicle are taken into account to determine its size for the new CAFE calculations. The 911 and Cayman/Boxster all have a very small footprint (the 911 has a wheelbase of 92.5 inches, vs. 105.7 for a C6 Corvette).

    The new CAFE requirements will require Porsche to hit 41.3 mpg based on its sales mix and the footprint of its lineup.

    However, if Porsche stretches the 911's wheelbase and track, the car's footprint becomes larger, and the EPA would then see the car as a larger vehicle, and it would have a less-strict fuel economy requirement. The 41.3 mpg requirement for Porsche is, I'm fairly certain, the reason they are moving forward with putting the hybrid/EV 918 Spyder into series production.

    Here are a few other relevant links that explain this better than I did:

    http://www.hybridcars.com/incentives...explained.html
    http://www.leftlanenews.com/porsche-...gulations.html
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...cafe-standards

    Interesting note in that Popular Mechanics article:
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

  15. #13
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 fp115's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    8,341
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: Spy Shots: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo

    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Raider View Post
    So you went out and bought a retro car that looks like it did way over 20 years ago...
    40 years

  16. #14
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Ambalanche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Pensacola, Florida
    Posts
    5,960
    Thanks
    370
    Thanked 1,238 Times in 617 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra SLT

    Re: Spy Shots: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo

    Quote Originally Posted by LeSabre View Post
    Another??
    Are you kidding me?
    This is quite possibly the next 911, slow evolution is what it stands for & what it's mission over the years has been generation to generation...unlike say the Corvette until the C5 came along. That is when the design of the Corvette got stuck in this slow evolution crap.




    !!!
    While that may be true, I have never appreciated the 911's design. I always thought it looked like a VW Beetle. And to this day, even though it's much better looking and fast, I still don't like the overall shape. Just my preference. Give me a 'Vette any day.

  17. #15
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 69Firebird400's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Philadelphia Area
    Posts
    5,887
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    My Ride
    '13 S6, '13 Sienna, '17 Q5

    Re: Spy Shots: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo

    Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post
    Thanks for the excellent explanation! Now I understand whats going on..

    FWIW...the 911 has had the same basic shape for over 50 years ...not 20...

    Its an sports car icon. I personally prefer GM's corvette yet I certainly admire the porsche 911 competitor.

    The latest road and track I believe had the 911 turbo S smoking from zero to 60 mph in 2.6 seconds...Zero to 100 mph somewhere in the 6 second range...

    Thats a car to be admired.. In my opinion...

    Like I said...I still prefer corvettes but the 911 in all its various models is an excellent sports car. A true icon ...(and yes every tom **** and harry owns one! so thats probably why its not exciting to see on the street any longer but I do admire their fine capabilities as sports cars)
    My pleasure, and I'm a Corvette fan too. I'm really excited to see what they come up with for the C7, but the C6 still looks amazingly fresh even today. I still remember when I first saw a C6 in person in Detroit...I couldn't take my eyes off the car.

    I referred to the 911's shape as a legacy of a "five decade old design," but fp called it 20 years...just for the record.
    Hidden Content
    2013 Audi S6 4.0T quattro
    2013 Toyota Sienna XLE AWD

  18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.2