Small VWs on their way to the US?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Small VWs on their way to the US?

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) t-rex's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 Jaguar XF, 2009 Ford Flex

Small VWs on their way to the US?

Volkswagen will create two new cars for the US market. One is a larger and taller of the new Volkswagen Polo, somewhat like what the Golf Plus is to the Golf, in fact it could be appropriate to refer to it as the Volkswagen Polo Plus for now.

The other is a compact sedan version of the Volkswagen Polo, such as the previous generation Polo’s Polo Classic Sedan. Both versions will sit on an extended wheelbase version of the Polo’s platform. The two cars will likely be built at Volkswagen’s Mexico factory in order to hit the Polo Plus target price of between US$13,000 to US$15,000 in order to distance it from the Jetta and the upcoming NMS.

http://paultan.org/archives/2009/03/...for-us-market/
    Last edited by t-rex; 03-19-2009 at 02:05 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 645 Posts

Re: Small VWs on their way to the US?

Attractive looking for a small car. VW is really on the move with their product between their SUVs and the new Audi models. I hope for their sake that this is better received than the CC or that other big car whose name escapes me.

This entire market doesn't really appeal to me. I'd buy a used mid sizer before I'd go with a tiny ****box like one of these. I also don't get how anyone is supposed to fit anything in the trunk- look how small that lid is. The opening must be tiny.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 calgaryhhr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    06 Chevy HHR 09 Ford Flex Ltd

member12: If you are trying to recall VW attempt at a large, luxury sedan it was the Phaeton and it was a rather poor attempt. The CC is a much better attempt at a vehicle slightly above the Passat. I believe that sales in Canada are actually pretty decent for the CC.

One of my biggest problems with the design of many new vehicles is the trunk opening. Many vehicles have large trunks now, surprisingly large (even in the Cobalt) but have very narrow, almost mailslot-like, openings which makes getting larger items in and out impossible in many case. Even with the new Malibu and Impala I find the trunk opening to be too small. The Cruze will likely be the same (based on the pictures I have seen.)

Smaller cars like these are great for getting around on tight city streets and tight parking lots. These vehicles should become big hits for metro drivers and for kids going off to college away from home (where the parents want to get their child a decent, reliable mode of transportation.)

I live in the inner city and work downtown and there are a lot of people who own smaller cars in my neighbourhood. There are a few Smart cars and other smaller (japanese imported) cars and trucks. By far the most popular vehicle is the VW Golf though. There are usually a couple on every block. I think the number of older Civic hatchbacks is right up there as well.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I bet this car will be the size of the MK IV Jetta, or maybe a little smaller.

Thanks

Should be smaller, I wish they would have brought the polo over here years ago. Its a neat little car.

Thanks

Very nice chop, I think quite a bit of the current Focus sedan was used. VW's new styling direction is really good though, so I think the actual product would look just as good.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Honda Civic

This would be a great car for this market. We are getting the Fiesta and I think it would be great competition. They are both great cars I am sure.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information