SLS AMG gets some camo off.

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: SLS AMG gets some camo off.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ausrutherford's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus

SLS AMG gets some camo off.

The successor to the Mercedes Benz SL Gullwing (and replacement for the SLR) has been spotted in prototype form in and around Germany’s Nurburgring test circuit for several months now, but what only a select few knew is that the car is being developed completely in-house by Mercedes’ official tuner, AMG. Thus, the brand new model will be called the SLS AMG when it hits showrooms in the first half of next year.

In the lead up to its final unveiling, planned for later this year, Mercedes has released a ton of info on the car, including several images of actual prototypes and technical drawings. As the successor to the legendary SL Gullwing from the 1950s, the new SLS AMG will also feature gullwing doors but picks up a new aluminum spaceframe to provide an almost perfect front-to-rear weight distribution of 48-to-52%.

Powering the SLS will be a revised version of AMG’s now-familiar 6.2L V8 mated to an all-new 7-speed dual-clutch transmission mounted on the rear axle. Peak output will stand at 571hp (420kW) and 479lb-ft (650Nm) of torque. Changes to the engine include a new magnesium intake with eight separate velocity stacks, two electronically controlled throttle plates, a high-flow exhaust and a new dry-sump lubrication system.

The engine will be located up front but will be mounted behind the front axle for better weight distribution. The SLS’s final kerb weight will be around 1,620kg, and with the V8 engine it should be able to accelerate from 0-100km/h in 3.8 seconds and reach a top speed in excess of 315km/h.

As for the new dual-clutch gearbox, the unit was developed by AMG and boasts fast gear changes with no loss of tractive force. The driver has a choice of four different driving modes, ranging from comfortable to extremely sporty, as well as a ‘RACESTART’ function. The suspension set-up is equally advanced, with double wishbones and hub carriers made of lightweight forged aluminum. Stopping power comes from carbon-ceramic discs, and these are mounted within 19in light-alloy wheels.

The car’s dimensions have also been revealed, measuring in at 4.65m in length, 1.95m across and just 1.25m in height. The wheelbase stretches just 2.7m. Previous renderings give us a clue as to what the new car could look like, showing a vented bonnet and a new headlight design not seen on any previous Mercedes models.

More here:

http://www.motorauthority.com/video-...ype-spied.html
    Have sales for GM not seen in Hidden Content ? Hidden Content

Go Tigers!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ausrutherford's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus

Re: SLS AMG gets some camo off.

I see some Audi coping in the headlights with the LEDs on the bottom.
    Have sales for GM not seen in Hidden Content ? Hidden Content

Go Tigers!!!

Thanks
    My Ride
    1998 BMW 328is

I don't generally like Mercedes... I am really liking this!

-Chase
    1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2003 Honda S2000
    1997 BMW 328iS
    2003 MINI Cooper S
    1984 Mercedes-Benz 230CE
    1998 BMW 328iS

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

it will be difficult not to like it. Completely fresh German designs suck nowadays. But if they go retro-inspired, they make great looking products. So was the BMW Z8, so will SLS I guess.
    Last edited by powervette; 04-24-2009 at 02:25 AM.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Firebird00's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a feeling that this is a VERY sexy car under the leather camo.
    "The only people who put iced tea in Jack Daniel's bottles is The Clash babayyyyy!!!" David Lee Roth

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information