Rumormill: BMW working on range of front-wheel-drive concepts

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rumormill: BMW working on range of front-wheel-drive concepts

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Autoblog
    January 7, 2011
    by Zach Bowman

When BMW began making noise about bringing front-wheel drive to the table, purists, enthusiasts and fans of the brand immediately busted out the pitchforks and torches. Visions of front-wheel drive 3 Series and 1 Series models were almost enough to induce frenzy (not that a huge number of owners would know the difference...), but if the latest word from BMW Blog is to be believed, the company's front-wheel drive efforts will be contained to a handful of all-new models.

The news comes courtesy of a BMW insider posting on German Car Forum. Supposedly, the main impetus behind delving into a FWD platform isn't to increase the company's average fuel economy as some have guessed. Instead, BMW is looking to make the Mini brand more profitable by sharing platforms with other models under the Roundel.

Those include a new compact BMW roughly the size of a Cooper, as well as an MPV that the insider calls a Compact Gran Sport Tourer. Additionally, there may be room for a crossover-sized front-wheel drive beast as well. Interestingly enough, the report says that the new BMW compact will have proportions similar to those of the Honda CR-Z.

At this point, it's difficult to say whether or not the source from German Car Forum has their facts straight or not, but so far, this is the most detailed glimpse we've gotten into what BMW is up to with its FWD program.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,517 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Re: Rumormill: BMW working on range of front-wheel-drive concepts

That's what would have expected would drive the decision as well

Mini is expensive , they need to get more value out of it

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,593 Times in 4,584 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Egad! Don't they read these boards, about how FWD sucks?

Please, Bimmerpersons, read GMI and get your frakking heads straight on how FWD sucks and is not for Real Men and Real Wimminz!

Sheesh! Do I have to do everything for youse?
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 01-07-2011 at 11:33 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,094 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Autoblog screwed up their reporting.

It's about both aspects.

In other words, both sharing for advantage with Mini and helping with emissions / fe - in particular CO2.

Appears they're serious about the possibility of two cylinder and three cylinder turbos of both the SI & CI type ( gasser and diesel) with about 500ccs per cylinder of displacement. The thought behind all this is a question ... can these be more attractive than a battery hybrid - for some market segments ? Both for FWD........ and RWD.

So yep, 1.0L two banger and 1.5L three banger turbos - gas and diesel.

Also 'appears' that besides some new product lines they are effectively looking at busting the 1 and 3 Series into two groups each.... including the possibility of a FWD / RWD pairing for each.

And then the logical follow up question - what gets shipped to the US, which is the real hang up.

Time will tell what they ultimately decide.
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 01-09-2011 at 02:34 PM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

Thanks
    My Ride

This Carbon Dioxide stuff, it's really keeping me up at night.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ne_one's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    This Carbon Dioxide stuff, it's really keeping me up at night.
    Whatever you do, don't try carbon monoxide - it has a habit of putting people down for good.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

So a major car manufacturer abandons its core market to offer small front wheel drive cars that are the antithesis of what they stand for, going from sound driving machines to fwd crap! What joy! Who do they think they are, GM?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    So a major car manufacturer abandons its core market to offer small front wheel drive cars that are the antithesis of what they stand for, going from sound driving machines to fwd crap! What joy! Who do they think they are, GM?
    From The Ultimate Driving Machine to The Ultimate Badge Job
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 PA Dweller's Avatar
    Thanks

Man where's the kettle corn when you need it? I am going to enjoy watching the "driving purist" tear BMW a new one for introducing an inferior Fail-Wheel-Drive offering.
    Can you guess what he's going to do with the big fist? Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 2,108 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

If BMW wanted to improve the profitability, share a platform with Saab... Volvo... Peugeot... Citroen... Lancia... Anyone else but the flagship BMW line.

I'm waiting to see the BMW marketing spin.

Blech.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ne_one View Post
    Whatever you do, don't try carbon monoxide - it has a habit of putting people down for good.
    What I meant was it's keeping the plants up at night. They love it!

CO, not so much. I hereby bequeath my lifetime entitlement to algore.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,552 Times in 893 Posts

In a couple of years we can imagine edderly BMW fans saying "remember the times when BMW wasn't common before even the gardener and the janitor can purchase one?"

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Stéphane Dumas View Post
    In a couple of years we can imagine edderly BMW fans saying "remember the times when BMW wasn't common before even the gardener and the janitor can purchase one?"
    Ahh, Those Were The Days!! http://mortystv.com/aitf_faq.shtml
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    How are they abandoning their core market. They didn't say one thing about changing existing platforms at all.

They want to make a Mini-based car with a BMW badge, an MPV, and a small SUV to help make Mini more profitable with a little more platform sharing.

So small low powered cars would be the only cars that would be FWD. Does anyone really care if an MPV or small SUV is FWD, I doubt it.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 PA Dweller's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by big swede View Post
    How are they abandoning their core market. They didn't say one thing about changing existing platforms at all.

They want to make a Mini-based car with a BMW badge, an MPV, and a small SUV to help make Mini more profitable with a little more platform sharing.

So small low powered cars would be the only cars that would be FWD. Does anyone really care if an MPV or small SUV is FWD, I doubt it.
    Yes but any FWD offering makes BMW a lesser brand, haven't you learned that from Cadillac?
    Can you guess what he's going to do with the big fist? Hidden Content

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information