Report: next Mercedes B-Class could spawn derivatives

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Report: next Mercedes B-Class could spawn derivatives

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 1931Chevy's Avatar
    Thanks

Report: next Mercedes B-Class could spawn derivatives

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/07/16/r...n-derivatives/

We doubt you'll be mourning the loss of the Mercedes-Benz A-Class, which, as we reported earlier this month, might be canceled rather than replaced in 2011. The compact hatchback never won resounding praise, and for good reason, was never sold in the US. The larger B-Class, however, is likely to be replaced in the same year, and could spawn a number of derivatives.
    The current B-Class, which is sold to our hockey-loving neighbors to the north, is only offered as a five-door hatchback. The next B could be joined by a sportier hatch and even a roadster, with the potential for US importation. The latter was previewed in part by the Vision SLA concept shown at Detroit way back in 2000. Earlier reports also suggested the possibility of the next B-Class borrowing from the C-Class platform, which would mean rear-wheel-drive, in proper Benz style, instead of the front-drive of the current A and B.
    “We are masters of our own destiny,” he said. “We make our own decisions. And we intend to keep it that way.” Bill Ford May/09
    By Mark Fields
    "Perform or the bank will own us"
    Buying GM cars since 1931Hidden Content
    Hungry ,eat your import

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Report: next Mercedes B-Class could spawn derivatives

Kinda shame nobody would take up the wonderful sandwitch platform - it was truly ingenious, one ride in the A-Klasse and you can truly appreciate the great work of Stuttgart engineers. It is tiny on the outside and huge on the inside. I was really hoping MB would hand it down to Mitsubishi back then for the Diamond Star to create a new Space series upon it.

The B-Klasse, OTOH, is just awful. For sure it has all the brilliant engineering too, but it is ju ta very expensive self-propelled chest of drawers, and a pretty pointless vehicle. Besides, the A-Klasse has actually been selling quite well, and the reviews were rather positive (save for the Elk test for the first generation, which actually resulted in a very safe chassis in the end, and the reliability concerns in the second gen).

That said, Merc seems to be going the right way, not trying to out-Volkswagen Volkswagen.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 cawimmer430's Avatar
    Thanks

The current W169 Mercedes A-Class is actually more reliable than a TOYOTA YARIS.

Source: Auto Motor und Sport Quality Surveys. Will scan it if I still have it.

Bottom line is that the new A-Class (and B-Class) are very reliable cars. Even the new S-Class, a technological marvel, is pretty much bulletproof. Mercedes has come back. Of course this won't show on most quality surveys overnight...

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

DCX of Poland has dumped hundreds of A-Klasses to the taxi fleet of the taxi company I am using. they are still fairly new cars, and you can see trim elements falling apart (especially seatbelt buckles, I've recently had three in a row where I couldn't buckle up because the buckle was in shambles) and drivers complaining about mechanical failures. You won't see or hear the same even regarding the good old W124s...

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 cawimmer430's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bravada
    DCX of Poland has dumped hundreds of A-Klasses to the taxi fleet of the taxi company I am using. they are still fairly new cars, and you can see trim elements falling apart (especially seatbelt buckles, I've recently had three in a row where I couldn't buckle up because the buckle was in shambles) and drivers complaining about mechanical failures. You won't see or hear the same even regarding the good old W124s...
    They use A-Class taxis in Poland?

We don't even use them as taxis here, although they're not uncommon.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information