Oops! MB fined big by EPA!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oops! MB fined big by EPA!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ausrutherford's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus

Oops! MB fined big by EPA!

http://www.motorauthority.com/merced...-by-nhtsa.html

Mercedes-Benz hit with second-largest fuel efficiency fine ever by NHTSA

Mercedes-Benz has been fined $28.9 million for failure to meet federal fuel efficiency standards by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) this week. The amount is the second-largest in the history of agency.

More at Link
    Last edited by mgescuro; 01-08-2009 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Added snippet of article
    Have sales for GM not seen in Hidden Content ? Hidden Content

Go Tigers!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Re: Oops! MB fined big by EPA!

I think you said you can't help it, but it would really be appreciated if you could post snippets of the article instead of just the links. I actually think that is site policy for news items.

Anyway, that probably amounts to a few hundred dollars per car sold. Hardly worth their investment to hybridize or dieselize the fleet.

Banned
    Thanks

They still have pretty good Diesels. But its probably those darn fantastic AMG vehicles (which are surprisingly popular at least down here in SoFla) the ones ruining the corporate average.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Hitman1970's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Regal Turbo PG1 Cr Red Tc

$120 per car. Someone in the comments section did the math. Whoopity do. They still make that mythical beast called a "profit" right?
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 2,108 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Mercedes, a few years ago, stated that they would pay the fines or push the cost down to the consumer.
    Looks like they are keeping true to their word.

And if they get BluTec into this country, who's to say this won't be the last fine they'll pay?
    Plus they have their future hybrid systems coming -- though extremely late.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member ausrutherford's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Focus

Quote Originally Posted by Buick61 View Post
    I think you said you can't help it, but it would really be appreciated if you could post snippets of the article instead of just the links. I actually think that is site policy for news items.

Anyway, that probably amounts to a few hundred dollars per car sold. Hardly worth their investment to hybridize or dieselize the fleet.
    Sorry, thanks to the person who did on it. And as iv said before, my computers wont copy pics or articles on blogs like this. Dont know why but they dont.
    Have sales for GM not seen in Hidden Content ? Hidden Content

Go Tigers!!!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Michael_S's Avatar
    Thanks

I think the important point is that Mercedes doesn't get the same criticism that GM, Chrysler, and Ford do for making gas guzzling vehicles.

It's a clear example of unfair reporting. Year after year Mercedes sells more gas guzzlers in proportion to its sales volume than any of the domestic automakers. But you don't see that in the press, do you?

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro View Post
    And if they get BluTec into this country, who's to say this won't be the last fine they'll pay?
    Didn't they already. I think that E, R and GL classes have BluTec versions available stateside.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Sal Collaziano's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    RENNtech E63 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman1970 View Post
    $120 per car. Someone in the comments section did the math. Whoopity do. They still make that mythical beast called a "profit" right?
    Wow. What a disaster. I can totally understand why Cadillac canceled the Ultra Northstar and why BIG cars have no place left in society. </sarcasm>

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
    Sorry, thanks to the person who did on it. And as iv said before, my computers wont copy pics or articles on blogs like this. Dont know why but they dont.
    you copy the text only.
    (for images right click on it click view image and copy the url and paste it in the insert image box on gmi. )

Mercedes-Benz has been fined $28.9 million for failure to meet federal fuel efficiency standards by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) this week. The amount is the second-largest in the history of agency.

Part of the U.S. CAFE standards, enforced by the NHTSA includes a provision for fines when the requisite levels of efficiency aren't met. That power of enforcement also saw Porsche Cars North America, Maserati Automobiles and Ferrari North America pay fines of $1.1-1.2 million apiece, reports the Detroit Free Press.

In 2008, over $37 million in total fines were assessed on six different carmakers. Mercedes' $28.9 million share accounts for over 78% of that total amount. The now-split DaimlerChrysler's record $30.3 million fine was assessed for vehicles built during the 2006 model year, and was itself due primarily to Mercedes-Benz's vehicles.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano View Post
    Wow. What a disaster. I can totally understand why Cadillac canceled the Ultra Northstar and why BIG cars have no place left in society. </sarcasm>
    Why does anyone think that in a country where the size of a bagel has doubled in twenty years that we want small cars? Fatties need big cars.

Seriously, how much would it cost GM to make some large sedans with big engines and pay the resulting fine. The mark-up in a well executed large sedan could probably eat it a lot better than the current legacy costs.
    Current: 12 Buick Regal Turbo Premium I Group (Crystal Red/Cashmere with sunroof) and 09 Saturn Outlook XR

Previous: 09 Pontiac G8 GT (09-12), 06 Buick LaCrosse CXS (06-09), 05 Ford Freestyle SEL (05-09) 02 Hyundai Elantra GT (01-06), 00 VW Jetta (00-05), 85 Mercedes 350 SEL (99-01), 84 BMW 316 (98-99), 90 Mitsubishi Mirage(91-98), 79 Chrysler LeBaron (88-90), 73 Dodge Dart Swinger (87-88).

jry
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jry's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 BMW 740Li-X, 2014 Expy EL

This must be, has to be, Chryslers fault.....
    Certainly not the fault of the non polluting, supreme German engineering.
    85 cars since 1975....
    Good night and good luck.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by jry View Post
    This must be, has to be, Chryslers fault.....
    Certainly not the fault of the non polluting, supreme German engineering.
    Fuel economy has always been a German weakness. See North Africa.

GMI Contributor Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buick61 View Post

Well, a few HUNDRED dollars would be huge. A few cents is more like it Lol. $29 million is a pretty small amount of money for a company like Mercedes. No big deal really.

GMI's Revitalization in Action Director
    Check out our latest lineup by Hidden Content
    Follow me on Twitter Hidden Content

If you've got inside news and would like to be anonymous news source, send me a private message or email me Hidden Content .

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_S View Post
    I think the important point is that Mercedes doesn't get the same criticism that GM, Chrysler, and Ford do for making gas guzzling vehicles.

It's a clear example of unfair reporting. Year after year Mercedes sells more gas guzzlers in proportion to its sales volume than any of the domestic automakers. But you don't see that in the press, do you?
    And how many cars do they sell compared to the domestics? Do they even sell as many as the Silverado or F150 alone /year?

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information