No. It's not a Lamborghini Gallardo. It's a mere VW Jetta 2.5 5 Cylinder.

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No. It's not a Lamborghini Gallardo. It's a mere VW Jetta 2.5 5 Cylinder.

Thanks

No. It's not a Lamborghini Gallardo. It's a mere VW Jetta 2.5 5 Cylinder.

The US Spec Jetta 2.5 5 Cylinder 20 Valve engine based on the 5.0 V10 40 Valve of the Gallardo, and it sounds very nice when modded; listen to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPnZS...elated&search=
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNziV...elated&search=
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmrXf...elated&search=

That sounds pretty good IMO. Reminds me of the Audi S6 V10.

The only thing that really disappoints me, is that VW managed to squeeze only 150 Bhp of this engine. I'm sorry, but that is absolutely pathetic. A normally aspirated 2.5 20 Valve 5 Cylinder engine could easily output 200 Bhp.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 FightingChance's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: No. It's not a Lamborghini Gallardo. It's a mere VW Jetta 2.5 5 Cylinder.

Wow, are the engines really related? Intial reviews of the new Jetta almost uniformly put down the 2.5l.
    "I cannot wait for the new fad to come along, one that doesn't involve making respectable looking cars look as though they were parked nearby when the plastic factory exploded."

GMI Staff Member Premium Member
    Thanks

Minorly related. It shares the cylinder head design. Also the bore and stroke dimensions are the same.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Michael_S's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kowalski
    The only thing that really disappoints me, is that VW managed to squeeze only 150 Bhp of this engine. I'm sorry, but that is absolutely pathetic. A normally aspirated 2.5 20 Valve 5 Cylinder engine could easily output 200 Bhp.
    I don't know about 200. Only the Civic SI engine manages that from a naturally aspirated 4-cylinder.

But yeah, 150 is low. The 2.4 liter engines from the different automakers run anywhere from 158-172 horsepower and the 2.5 in the Altima makes 175.

Maybe it has something to do with how inline 5s need extra work to stay balanced?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_S
    I don't know about 200. Only the Civic SI engine manages that from a naturally aspirated 4-cylinder.

But yeah, 150 is low. The 2.4 liter engines from the different automakers run anywhere from 158-172 horsepower and the 2.5 in the Altima makes 175.

Maybe it has something to do with how inline 5s need extra work to stay balanced?
    200 Bhp from a 2.5 it's a mere 80 Bhp per liter. That's not asking too much is it? Specially, when the car in question comes from the manufacturer that gave us the Veyron.

The Nissan Altima you mentioned outputs 70 bhp per liter out of a 2.5 4 Cylinder. Not bad at all.

Honda went beserk with 100 Bhp per liter out of a 2.0 16V 4 Cylinder.

That said, however, in the Jetta you get 170 lb-ft of torque at 3750RPM. It's nothing spectacular, I know. But it's better than most 4-cylinders. Plus, with low compression, the 2.5 5 Cylinder will be well suited for turbo charging.

Thanks

I not impressed, but I love the sound of a Chevy 350 small block. I love the deeper tones better than a high rev whine. To each there own.
    Find me at: Hidden Content
    Follow me on Twitter at: Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Michael_S's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darndot
    I not impressed, but I love the sound of a Chevy 350 small block. I love the deeper tones better than a high rev whine. To each there own.
    I do like a deep rumble better than a high pitched whine. The Corvette Z06 may slam you back into your seat at high RPM, but it just doesn't sound as nice as a plain old smallblock on idle.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darndot

Errr...why are you comparing a V8 to a 5-Cylinder?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_S
    I do like a deep rumble better than a high pitched whine. The Corvette Z06 may slam you back into your seat at high RPM, but it just doesn't sound as nice as a plain old smallblock on idle.

So long the sound produced by the engine doesn't hurt my ears...that's fine with me.

All 5-Cylinder engines sound great. Even the Volvo 2.5 I-5 produces a lovely noise.

Thanks

Wow, sounds pretty good. I think that VW's 2.0 turbo engine uses a Gallardo head(minus 1 cyl.).

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

That's very interesting.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 cawimmer430's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FightingChance
    Wow, are the engines really related? Intial reviews of the new Jetta almost uniformly put down the 2.5l.
    I've heard the same. The smaller Jetta engines are supposed to be peppier.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kowalski
    No kidding. Hell, Mazda's 2.5 V6 was making 170hp in the early 90s!

My sister has a '98 Cabrio with a 2.0 4-banger. There's a rats nest of vacuum hoses under the hood, it still has a distributor, and it makes a whopping 115hp. Considering VW's "German-engineered" image and premium pricing, having mid-80s engine technology and power output is absolutely unacceptable. And based on this 5-cylinder, it seems that nothing has really changed since then. No wonder VW's sales are in the gutter.

Thanks

my cousin has a new Jetta with the 2.5
    It sounds sweet!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

VW owners think they already have this engine in their car which is only partially true, as the Rabbit doesn’t have built internals or the same head design. Audi did some testing with a built 2.5 Inline 5 with a single Lambo head and a small turbo and the motor was making well over 350hp. I wish Audi would get smart and put this engine into the next A5 coupe and make it a super sweet car to go head-to-head with the other top coupes (turbo BMW, CTS, G35).

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information