This is the next Mercedes CLA

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: This is the next Mercedes CLA

Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Equinox

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/next-mercedes-cla

Well, sort of. Sculpture Aesthetics A shows off Merc's new design direction

Paul Horrell27 Jan 2017

Read more on:
    MERCEDES-BENZ
    CLA CLASS

Attachment 38313

Ooh you teasers, ladies and gentlemen of Stuttgart. You show us a new car under a cover. But Mercedes can’t take the cover off this one and nor can we, because it’s a sculpture. Of a car under a cover…

Mercedes design chief Gorden Wagener revealed it to us this week in the Mercedes design studios. He led us into a darkened room, turned the lights on, and there it was. Pity. The ironist in us wishes he’d pulled a cover off it. But that would presumably have been too, too recursive.

This is the Sculpture Aesthetics A. Which means, if the thing itself hadn’t told you, is the concept version of the next CLA. The current CLA was the first Mercedes to carry a ‘falling feature line’ down the side. But it had other side creases too. The new one has just the one side line running the whole length, pulled out from the body at door handle height.

“Creases have had their day.” says Wagener. “This is design as the fine art of omitting the extraneous. There’s just one single line. The rest is sleek sheer surfaces. Form and body are what remain when creases and lines are reduced to the extreme.

“We have the courage to apply this purism. In combination with perfect proportions and sensual surface design, the upcoming generation of the compact class has the potential to herald a new design era.”

Perfect proportions? That’ll need a change from the current CLA’s too-short wheelbase and pudgy overhangs. Things do look longer and sleeker on the sculpture, but then a sculpture doesn’t have the inconvenience of swallowing people and an engine. We’ll see how it plays out when the real car arrives.

The sculpture has what Wagener calls Mercedes’ ‘racing grille’, a series of vertical bars taken from the crazed new AMG GT R. Seems a little shouty for a 180 diesel, but hey, it looks good.

Top Gear asked Wagener about this same line-free design on the Concept EQ, the electric crossover shown at Paris last year for production in 2019. To some people it looked too blobby, a featureless soap bar. Is that extreme simplicity going to be reserved for the EQ lineup?

“Simplicity is a general Mercedes trend too,” he told us five minutes before he showed us the Sculpture Aesthetics A. “But we will push this purity even further with the EQ. It will be almost seamless.”

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Equinox

Re: This is the next Mercedes CLA

I agree with the simplicity idea applied to design. Its the main thing Cadillac needs to learn about with their upcoming designs. Even Escala has too much going on sown the sides
    Attachment 38321

I think there is about three more accent line than need to be.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,172 Times in 4,070 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Can't tell much from the sculpture. Why are they preaching simplicity of design like they created the concept? Audi has been doing this forever to the point I can't tell a 1995 A4 from a 2015... If the wheelbase and overall proportions are there then it will look elegant, if not it will be just boring. Also, Jag has very clean designs and they all look very derivative to me, little distinction to tell me they are Jaguars. They look nice, I'd be proud to own one, but not the best design in my book.

I like all of the details in GM's designs, the flow and flair of surfaces... Can they go overboard with them? Sure (see Nissan), but if done well, curves and creases can bring distinctiveness to a brand where I think "clean" can look generic if to many brands do the same. Anything can be overdone - either to many creases and flows or to litte (Mercedes new direction).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

09W (01-27-2017)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,744 Times in 1,247 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Can't tell much from the sculpture. Why are they preaching simplicity of design like they created the concept? Audi has been doing this forever to the point I can't tell a 1995 A4 from a 2015... If the wheelbase and overall proportions are there then it will look elegant, if not it will be just boring. Also, Jag has very clean designs and they all look very derivative to me, little distinction to tell me they are Jaguars. They look nice, I'd be proud to own one, but not the best design in my book.

I like all of the details in GM's designs, the flow and flair of surfaces... Can they go overboard with them? Sure (see Nissan), but if done well, curves and creases can bring distinctiveness to a brand where I think "clean" can look generic if to many brands do the same. Anything can be overdone - either to many creases and flows or to litte (Mercedes new direction).
    I think a GOOD clean design is IMPROVED with well applied sculpting details BUT a BAD design is NOT BETTER with added lines and sculpting

the MK2 Prius has NO sculpting or OTHER added details and does not look like much and NO amount of body work WILL make it look "Se**y"

where as a 1964 impala IS good looking with FEW details because of its shapes and proportions

Thanks
    Thanked 8,770 Times in 5,645 Posts

Whatever it is, it looks good.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information