New Volkswagen Golf GTI finally arrives in U.S.

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Volkswagen Golf GTI finally arrives in U.S.

Thanks

Arrow New Volkswagen Golf GTI finally arrives in U.S.

2006 Volkswagen GTI Finally to US
    Text & Photos courtesy of Volkswagen AG

The launch of the all-new GTI promises Volkswagen’s return to the purity of its ground-breaking sports car concept hatchback, and offers enthusiasts a modern and dynamic extension of the automaker’s original hot-hatch approach that essentially spurred a new car class.

More than 30 years ago in Europe, Volkswagen launched the GTI and in 1983 this model arrived in the U.S. as the first affordable, German engineered, “pocket rocket,” a term of endearment from enthusiasts of affordable German performance and one that best describes the unique character of the original car that combined a nimble and spirited Teutonic driving experience with a strong value for the money and perhaps just as importantly the everyday practicality of a hatchback.

Volkswagen purists have anticipated this fifth generation GTI since its critically acclaimed European launch in mid-year 2005 and are prepared to test this model’s sports credentials that include the high-tech, 200 horsepower 2.0T four-cylinder engine, a new fully independent, sports-tuned suspension—a first for the GTI—a standard six-speed manual transmission, and an understated but dynamically aggressive style outside and a practical interior that equally mixes functionality, flair and a preoccupation with a driver-first focus and layout.

The new GTI is a solid and aggressive sports model with a unique automatic manual DSGTM transmission that utilizes direct shifting which essentially automatically depresses clutch-shift points more efficiently and quicker than even a professional driver can. But the GTI today is all purity, and for those who want the unique control of a clutch, the all-new GTI comes with a standard six-speed manual transmission. Top speed is electronically governed at 130 miles per hour in the U.S.

As always, the GTI is based wholly on one of the world’s most popular and enduring models—the Volkswagen Golf. This fifth-generation Golf platform is renowned for its solidity and sophistication that make it one of the best selling models in the world. Built in Wolfsburg, Germany, the home of Volkswagen, the GTI benefits from Volkswagen’s high-tech production process that includes industry-leading robotics in its assembly technology and sequences.

Based on its already solid predecessor, the new GTI records double-digit improvements in its dynamic and tensional rigidity—15 percent and 35 percent, respectively, to be exact. This is partially achieved through the use of more high-strength body panels, Volkswagen world-class design and engineering, and during production, advanced laser-welding systems that require a new-generation of robotics and elaborate laser-driven measuring check points. The result is a dramatic increase in precise laser-welded seams, normally reserved for cars in much higher segments of the market. The net benefit of the Gate’s laser bonding process is a class-leading fit and finish, heightened body strength, crash protection, dialed-in driving dynamics, and reduced interior noise—all key components that set the GTI apart from its hatchback competitors.

The heart of the 2006 GTI is Volkswagen’s new and highly regarded 2.0T turbocharged four-cylinder engine producing 200 hp at 5,100 to 6,000 revolutions per minute and 207 ft.-lbs. of torque from 1,800 to 5.000 rpm.

This transverse, front-mounted engine incorporates dual overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder, and maintenance-free hydraulic lifters for smooth, worry-free operation. A fully electronic engine management system includes drive-by-wire throttle control and FSI direct injection for optimal fuel delivery, which increases power, improves efficiency, and reduces emissions.

As alluded to earlier, the new six-speed DSG automatic manual transmission with Tiptronic® is a tempting option for drivers, as well as those simply seeking the convenience of an automated transmission. The DSG transmission permits fully automatic or manual gear changes using a twin-clutch, wet-plate design that eliminates the power interruption associated with traditionally clutched gear changes. The result is sports performance and unexpected fuel efficiency.

Further details, click here: Volkswagen GTI MK5 hits US shores

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: New Volkswagen Golf GTI finally arrives in U.S.

eh, it's not THAT bad looking. the rims are nice though .

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TiburonJT's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2012 Ford Focus SE 5-Door 5MT

oooo a new Honda Civic hatchback! Oh wait, it's a Golf.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

I could never picture myself driving one of these!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CRBoyd91
    I could never picture myself driving one of these!
    Me either. I'll wait for the R32... :p

Actually, I've actually come to like the Golf and Jetta. With the new job in place come Monday, I'm finding myself compelled to chase after a GLI. The only heavy digression is VW reliability; most of the folks I know with one don't have issues, but the media hasn't painted a pretty picture as of late. Of no help to VW is my having seen a G6 GTP in the flesh...
    Last edited by Phillip; 11-12-2005 at 11:38 AM.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 gm_scott's Avatar
    Thanks

In terms of looks not bad, looks kind of high off the ground tho, and I just hate the rims.

Thanks

the only one version of the new Golf which ain't ugly.
    I loved what Astra OPC did to Golf GTI on Top Gear

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

It's not bad. The most compelling reason to buy this car for me would be the DSG. I have never experienced one but anyone that has says that this IS the transmission to have.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Vintalage's Avatar
    Thanks

I've seen a blue one driving around town late last year ('04) and earlier this year. A college student was driving it. Unless this guy worked for VW, I don't know how he had the privilege to drive it. This was before the new Jetta came out. The one he was driving had HID headlamps. I was shocked to see it for the first time. I had to catch myself.
    Hidden Content

The Recession may be over but the Greatest Depression has only just begun.

2000 Mercedes-Benz CLK 430
    1988 Nissan 300ZX 5 spd
    2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT1 [Sold]
    1992 Honda Accord EX Sedan [Stolen]

Knowledge + Action = Power that builds an experience which forms wisdom

Thanks

It does kinda look like a honda.

Thanks

It does in pictures but in person it looks a lot better I had the chance to drive a new GTI at a VW show a few months back build quality is great and the power is good too. The inside feels like a Mercedes Benz sport as far as materials go. Oh yeah and about how reliable they are I've had mine for a lil over a year now and put 45k miles on it no issues what so ever. The only real "issues" they had that the media got on them about was the coilpacks going out which was a defect on some and replaced with new ones and the window regulator going out both were covered recalls other than that they are solid and reliable and a lot of fun to drive
    Last edited by BobLikesBunnies; 11-26-2005 at 08:49 PM.

Thanks

I just dont care for the boot on the Jetta the hatch to me is more practicle and sporty. They almost didnt even make a new jetta cause the only country it sells in is america everywhere else they buy golfs

Thanks

not anywhere near like the golf sells though. Mostly older people but if your going to buy a sedan you buy a passat or just get a mercedes

Thanks

Those orange pictures are a bit much, but I do love it. They make a kickass (in black) hatchback.

Thanks

VWs really do feel like Audis nowadays. I have test driven a Golf and Golf Plus and the interior appears to be made from Granite mixed with Adamantium. Just...solid.

The new Focus was nice, but just didnt have the same perception of build quality...the Golf feels like its built as good as the Himalayas are.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information