New turbo BMW coupe way undrated

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: New turbo BMW coupe way undrated

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 big swede's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

New turbo BMW coupe way undrated

2007 BMW 335i Dynamometer Run
    By Jason Cammisa

The 2007 BMW 335i will be in showrooms next month, and is the first application of BMW’s new twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six. This is a big deal because BMW has had only two short affairs with turbocharged gasoline production cars--the 2002 Turbo in the mid-70s, and the E23 745i in the early 80s--and neither was sold in the U.S. As the saying goes, third time’s the charm.

BMW fit this new engine with two small-displacement turbochargers--instead of one larger unit--in an effort to reduce lag. And for the most part, it worked. Behind the wheel, you’re vaguely aware that this engine doesn’t have quite as crisp a throttle response as its normally-aspirated siblings do. But you don’t care--you’re too busy trying to hold on for dear life.

This is one hell of a motor, pulling smoothly and strongly from idle all the way to its 7000-rpm fuel cutoff. There’s no boost gauge, and since you barely hear the turbos spooling, it’s easy to forget they’re even there. Once you’ve adjusted to the slight lag in power delivery following big, sudden throttle openings, all you notice is the sound of that silky in-line six.

BMW says that this engine makes 300 horsepower and 300 lb-ft of torque. We were so impressed with its power that we couldn’t help wonder if that was a conservative rating. Wasting no time, I swiped the keys and drove to a local dyno shop to find out.

We used a DynoJet chassis dyno, which measures an engine’s power output at a vehicle’s rear wheels. Because of frictional driveline losses, this number is always lower--generally by fifteen to twenty percent--than the quoted power output from the manufacturer, which is measured at the engine itself.

Here’s what we found:
    The non-turbocharged 330i, rated by BMW at 255 hp and 220 lb-ft of torque, puts about 200 hp and 180 lb-ft to the rear wheels. That’s roughly a twenty-percent loss. Since they have similar drivelines, you’d expect the 335i to put down 235 hp and 250 lb-ft.

But it didn’t. It put down a whole lot more: 275 hp and 300 lb-ft. A few quick taps on our trusty calculator shows that this engine is likely putting out closer to 350 hp and 360 lb-ft of torque.

Technical editor Don Sherman’s ears perked up at all this number crunching. With all that power, he wondered, is the 335i faster than the outgoing 333-hp E46 M3? We waved goodbye to the shiny new coupe’s rear tires, and sent him to find out.

Don coaxed the 335i to 60 mph in 5.1 seconds--only 0.3 seconds slower than the M3. The 335i covered the quarter-mile in 13.6 seconds @ 104 mph--again, only 0.2 seconds and 1 mph behind the M3.

So in an all-out drag race, the 335i comes close, but can’t quite match the M3’s blistering acceleration. Those numbers, though, only tell half the story. Have a look at the top-gear acceleration figures. In sixth gear, the M3 needs 14.7 seconds to get from 30 to 70 mph – but the 335i does it in only 12.5.

That, my friends, is the beauty of this engine. At full bore, it’s as fast as an M3. But at moderate engine speeds, it’s even faster. What a great way to keep us all interested until the next M3 comes along.

Test - M3 - 335i
    0-60 - 4.8 - 5.1
    0-100 - 11.5 - 12.7
    0-110 - 14.5 - 15.6
    0-120 - N/A - 18.6
    0-140 - N/A - 28.2
    1/4 mile - [email protected] - [email protected]
    peak g - 0.7 - 0.68
    30-70 (6th) - 14.7 - 12.5
    30-70 (3rd) - N/A - 6.5

70-0 - 162 - 150
    Peak g - 1.12 - 1.12

Weight - 3480 - 3560
    %F/R - 50.6/49.4 - 51.1/48.9
    Redline - 8000 - 7000
    Power - 333 - 300
    Torque - 202 - 300

Tires 255/40 ZR-18 255/35 WR-18

The coupe looks incredible.
    Last edited by big swede; 03-06-2007 at 12:49 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

Re: New turbo BMW coupe way undrated

Quote Originally Posted by DuSpinnst
    It has to be cheaper than the old M3 to boot!
    Yep and the torque peak is at 1400 rpm's. I don't know where the M3's torque peak is but I guarantee it's over 5000 rpms.
    Last edited by big swede; 08-14-2006 at 10:35 PM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 giagastormer's Avatar
    Thanks

Very interesting article.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Those top gear accelerations show how valuable low end torque really is. With performance like that, I would agree that the car is well underrated. I wonder about the impact the turbos have on MPG.

Ach
    Thanks

Good but not outstanding numbers...remember, the Lexus IS350 posts virtually identical times with no forced induction and an auto tranny. I'm no Lexus fan, I'd just rather see BMW go with displacement (their last 3.5L six was a sweet motor) than turbos.

Thanks

Yeah but the Lexus won't be nowhere as fun to drive as the BMW.

Ach
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kowalski
    Yeah but the Lexus won't be nowhere as fun to drive as the BMW.
    Agreed 100%. I actually love BMW and just wish they could do it without turbos.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DuSpinnst
    Oh, yea!

Even the 530i has some getup and go when you STOMP on the the gas.....
    If you one day you come to Europe. I suggest you to test drive the 535d.

It has a 3.0 Twin Turbo diesel engine, which outputs 270 Bhp and 413 Ibs/ft of torque. Goes from 0 to 60 Mph in 6 seconds and it's limited at 155 Mph. All that performance and yet it can do 40 Mpg.

Quote Originally Posted by Ach
    BMW proved with the M3 E46 and the old M5 (E34), that is possible to get V8 Power out of a normally aspirated Straight Six engine. Sadly however, they couldn't get the same Torque as a V8. That's why they went with the (Twin) Turbo option.

Besides, this is not the first time BMW goes with Turbo. There was the 2002 Turbo Coupé from 1974 and the 745i Turbo back in 1982. It took 24 years to BMW return to use Turbo on petrol engines.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

Quote Originally Posted by Ach
    Your nuts. The turbos are the reason why the peak torque is at 1400 rpms and the reason it makes the care feel like a torquey V8 in day to day driving. Sure if you mat the throttle on the Lexus it will run similiar 1/4 times but in day to day driving the BMW's torque curve would make the Lexus feel like an S2000.

Lert's not even talk about ease of modability.

Thanks

screw beamer, buy porsche .

Ach
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by big swede
    Your nuts. The turbos are the reason why the peak torque is at 1400 rpms and the reason it makes the care feel like a torquey V8 in day to day driving. Sure if you mat the throttle on the Lexus it will run similiar 1/4 times but in day to day driving the BMW's torque curve would make the Lexus feel like an S2000.

Lert's not even talk about ease of modability.
    Hogwash. Turbos are not a magical elixir with no downside. A 3.5L straight six with variable valve timing could produce similar low end torque (concededly, maybe not quite as low as 1400 rpms) without the high-end drop off, durability issues and complexity of the turbos. My 635CSi has plenty of low end torque and keeps pulling like a madman to 6500- and has 172K on it with no engine work yet. I like BMW motors because of the way they sound and feel at high RPMs. And unlike an S2000, BMW motors don't sound like a bee's nest near the redline. At least two reviews have noted that the twin-turbo engine gets breathless near the redline- a natural turbo consequence, but one that I don't want in a BMW. If I want low end torque, I'll drive a GTO.

And its also a more intangible thing for me- I always liked the purity of the BMW naturally aspirated motors while Mercedes and Audi resorted to forced induction. I feel some of that is lost with the turbos. I know they've done it before, but it was never in recent years a regular production item for them.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member Toto's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

The german car show AMS TV tested the BMW 335i coupe. Good looking, handling and engine. Nice car.

http://video.google.de/videoplay?doc...629&q=bmw+335i

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 01cavalier
    Those top gear accelerations show how valuable low end torque really is. With performance like that, I would agree that the car is well underrated. I wonder about the impact the turbos have on MPG.
    I agree, nothing beats torque. I'd rather take a torquey, higher displacement engine, or a turbocharged or supercharged engine over a low displacement high revving torqueless engine any day. If I had a choice between an Accord with the 3.0L or with the 3.5L from the Pilot (and in our Vue), I'd take the 3.5 any day.

Thanks
    My Ride
    Scat Pack Shaker

Quote Originally Posted by 01cavalier
    That's why BMW chose very small turbos. Not only do they have very little turbo lag but you get tremendous low-end grunt with better MPG than the NA version. Yes BMW could have chosen bigger turbos to get more hp, better dyno #'s and an engine that keeps pulling all the way to redline but BMW is more about the driving experience and they felt that the fatter powerband and better mileage were prefered since they will have an M model that will shreek to redline and suck fuel down like a large V8.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information