New BMW 7-series will come with 8-speed transmission

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: New BMW 7-series will come with 8-speed transmission

Thanks

New BMW 7-series will come with 8-speed transmission

When BMW released the redesigned 7-series back in 2001, they were the first to offer a six-speed automatic transmission. Two years later, Mercedes upped the ante by throwing an additional cog into the mix, equipping their new S-class with a seven-speed auto. Now that Lexus is offering an eight-speed slush box in their waftastic LS460, BMW has vowed not be left behind in the ratio wars and plans to bring an nine- eight-speed transmission to market by the end of the decade.

The next 7-series will be due for a substantial redesign by 2009 or 2010, so that's when industry analysts expect the eight-speed box to find its way into BMW's luxury sedan. The engineering haus, ZF Friedrichsafen, has been tapped to create the new automatic and has plenty of experience increasing fuel economy, while decreasing build costs, on the current model's six-speed automatic.

When will this cog-swapping numbers race end? We're not entirely sure, but as soon as manufacturers start cresting the double digits, we doubt anyone will even be paying attention.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/05/n...d-transmission

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 BMW 328i Coupe

Re: New BMW 7-series will come with 8-speed transmission

Sweet, It'll be like driving a tractor-trailer. How long 'til we get to 12 gears?

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Manufacturers seem to have transmission gear envy. Does 8 gears really make much difference in a 7 series with a torque monster V-8? I think not. I think a mini with a 1.6 liter 4 would get more benefit out of an 8 speed. You could keep the engine in the sweet spot at all times.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    1992 Supra Turbo

I believe any engine can benefit from more gears. You can run an engine more efficiently. Plus you can have really close gears for acceleration, then the rest can be for gas mileage.

Thanks

That's nothing. Merecedes just introduced a 27-speed transmission:

http://in.rediff.com/money/2005/jun/24merc.htm

Thanks

hahaahahahahha hoosier ron. Yes its getting rediculous w/ the number of gears in transmissions. From Data I've seen, once you breach the 6speed point, its all diminishing returns and very little relatively speaking fuel economy gain to the point that it doesn't justify all the development, research, and validation costs.

CobaltSScrazy

Thanks

Whats next for BMW, a 12-speed with triple clutch and with a two-mode hybrid system to? Is it almost to the point of sticking an automatic version of an 18-wheeler tranny into a car now. Im with most of you guys on here and say that after 6 gears, the rest just becomes worthless parts. And besides, isnt after this just electric motors to the wheels and no need for trannys at all.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Tomko's Avatar
    Thanks

How much is that trany going to weigh?

Anyone else old enough to remember the Powerglide? Two speeds: High & Low...
    Tomko

Current Fleet:
    2014 Cruze Diesel (daily grinder)
    2008 DTS Lux III (pleasure craft)
    1996 Impala SS (garage queen)

Retired Fleet:
    1999 Tahoe PPV (14.5 years / 135,879 miles)
    1988 Caprice 9C1 (first new car)
    1984 6000 STE (first car)

Thanks

I had a 1979 Accord with a Hondamatic transmission. It did have two gears. But you easily could start it in second gear, so you ended up with a one-speed car. And it still managed to get better mileage than a 7-Series.

From Wikipedia:

The Hondamatic (also called the H2) was Honda's first automatic transmission. It was produced from 1973 through 1979. The Hondamatic name is used on all automatic transmissions from Honda.
    The original Hondamatic, like all following Honda automatics, featured sliding gears on parallel axes rather than planetary gears like most other automatic transmissions. It also featured a unique shifting action controlled by stator torque rather than traditional hydraulics. The Honda torque converter had a lockup, leading the company to sell the original Hondamatic (which had just two forward gear ratios) as a 3-speed. The true 3-speed H3 was launched in 1979.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 BMW 328i Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Mags
    I think there is a common misconception that these 7 and 8 speed transmissions row through all the gears when you're accelerating- from what I understand, the programming selects the BEST possible gear to be in at any given time- so theoretically you could go 1-2-3-4 under hard acceleration, or 1-3-5-7 under light throttle, and so on- the new transmissions seem to be trying to approximate the benefits of a CVT from the looks of it- keeping the engine in the sweet spot all the time.

MF
    How many times have you tried to stop at an intersection or merge, only to realize that you can make it. Then, when you try to accelerate, your transmission seems to get 'confused' for a second tying to figure out what you are going to do. That happens in 4 speeds all the time. I can't imagine having 8 to choose from. In a torquey V8, what's the point anyway?

Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 BMW 328i Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Mags
    Your mindset is the one that has doomed much of GM for some time now- Why have it? The customer doesn't need that. We're doing just fine with what we have.

MF
    You bet. And "Prestige" is your best answer? How about something useful, like Direct Injection?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 965 Posts
    My Ride
    です

Why is BMW doing an 8-Speed? They should do a 9 or 10-Speed! They shouldn't follow Lexus they should lead!

Thanks
    My Ride
    2013 Volkswagen CC 6M

It does seem asthough it is taking the benefits of both a conventional auto trans and a CVT..Once there becomes a pissing contest and we see automanufacturers match & raise one another...thats when it becomes unessecary and childish.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar
    Thanks

Unnecessary is part of the definition of "luxury".

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet SS PBM

Quote Originally Posted by baloo
    Unnecessary is part of the definition of "luxury".
    It's also unnecessary when certain GMI individuals bash GM non-stop for not putting 6-speeds in their economy cars.

Did you see the top of the article. The first 6-speed came out only 6 years ago and yes GM is still playing catch up but to expect an overnight change in all models is unrealistic.

I still don't see all the big deal about having MORE than 6 gears. I for one will never buy a car with more then 6 gears because it is just plain dumb. At that point just give me a CVT and be done with it.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information